Canadian Import - Shady or Good Deal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Munik-FL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am looking at this used RAM and was wondering if this seems legit. The truck was manufactured for the Canadian market and the window sticker says it can't be registered outside of Canada (Explanation and picture of Dodge Window Sticker). I called a local dealership and the confirmed that the warranty is in effect until next year or 36,000 miles.

Here is the carfax: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHisto...er_id=68739351&car_id=465568489&partner=ATD_W

It shows that it was registered in Canada and imported to the US. Could the title be rebuilt and sent to USA without anyone knowing>?
Does anyone have experience with this? Should I run away?

The dealership seems to be reputable but I prefer to discuss with my peers.

Thanks guys!

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
A lot of guys here in Canada sell their trucks in the US. Once they're over a certain mileage nowadays. Went the other way for a while when the exchange rate was better. it's perfectly legit. Speedo favors km, but apart from that you won't notice any difference. Just like buying a vehicle from another state or here another province there's always a risk of somebody hiding something, but it's pretty common practice.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The hardest hidden secret is warranty gets sketchy, thats why you see a lot of just out of warranty trucks hit state side. Even though the warranty is still active, a lot of times claims get denied as they were out of country.

This is going by my knowledge working at a dealer.

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
When I was shopping for a truck I looked at a couple used trucks from Canada, the issue that stopped me was rust. Where I live in the states rust isn't a big issue, wherever the two trucks I looked at came from in Canada, rust was a big issue.

OP
OP
M

Munik-FL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I was shopping for a truck I looked at a couple used trucks from Canada, the issue that stopped me was rust. Where I live in the states rust isn't a big issue, wherever the two trucks I looked at came from in Canada, rust was a big issue.

Great point! I am in FL where there isnt a rust concern. This is a 2016 and has about 2 years and 20K miles on it. Is rust a concern on vehicles that are that new?

Thanks!

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It seems like people who have the 8.4" Uconnect from Canada have problems using that system in the US, and if you swap it for another Uconnect that doesn't match the vin you may have additional problems.

Just an FYI.

OP
OP
M

Munik-FL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It seems like people who have the 8.4" Uconnect from Canada have problems using that system in the US, and if you swap it for another Uconnect that doesn't match the vin you may have additional problems.

Just an FYI.

Excellent information. The CARFAX shows that the radio was swapped at a dodge dealer. I wonder if that is the reason. Is there a way to verify that it works now, before I buy it?

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looked at a 2014 3500 that was perfect for me, only has 12K miles on it and 100K factory warranty. I figured even a few years old i still had 80K miles of warranty left. It was a decent deal and I had money ready to put down and was actually on my way to the dealership to purchase when I stopped by another dealer to run the vin and make sure no outstanding updates needed to be done etc.. come to find out it was first registered in canada and as such had no factory warranty left. I even checked another dealer and got the same story..I passed on it and bought a new one from a third dealer.

OP
OP
M

Munik-FL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The hardest hidden secret is warranty gets sketchy, thats why you see a lot of just out of warranty trucks hit state side. Even though the warranty is still active, a lot of times claims get denied as they were out of country.

This is going by my knowledge working at a dealer.

Looked at a 2014 3500 that was perfect for me, only has 12K miles on it and 100K factory warranty. I figured even a few years old i still had 80K miles of warranty left. It was a decent deal and I had money ready to put down and was actually on my way to the dealership to purchase when I stopped by another dealer to run the vin and make sure no outstanding updates needed to be done etc.. come to find out it was first registered in canada and as such had no factory warranty left. I even checked another dealer and got the same story..I passed on it and bought a new one from a third dealer.

Thanks guys. The first dealer I called said it was still under warranty. I gave her the VIN and she even said it was under warranty until 100,000km's. After reading your posts, I called another local service department and he didnt even need the VIN. He said if it came from Canada its considered a "gray market" vehicle and they are out of warranty, even for recalls.

I'll steer clear of this one!

Thanks all!

GabAlmighty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great point! I am in FL where there isnt a rust concern. This is a 2016 and has about 2 years and 20K miles on it. Is rust a concern on vehicles that are that new?

Thanks!

It depends which part of Canada. Some places salt the roads the same way McDonalds salt their fries. Other places, we don't use salt.

For the most part though, especially if it's from a bigger city I would definitely ask for lots of pictures of the truck to confirm there isn't any rust.

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins

Thanks!

The two trucks I looked at were 6 and 10 years old, both had over 100K miles, and both had been work trucks. The rust was obvious on both of them. On something newer with low miles I would be more willing to believe rust isn't an issue yet. Like GabAlimighty said, ask for lots of pictures of the underside of the truck.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have the VIN number you can still run a car fax on it on car fax Canada or car proof Canada and I rebuilt title will show up.

Spending on where in Canada it is from there could be rust issues and it won’t have any warranty in the US and I still not eligible for FCS extended warranty. The dealer may add a third party extended warranty but they are usually junk.

Lots of trucks are being exported from Canada and into the US due to our Canadian dollar being so weak now. Back in the 2008-2012 ears there were a ton of US trucks being imported into Canada because out dollar was good and the US dollar weak.

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had given one of those "imports" a look originally but wound up passing for the warranty issue as well. You can't even BUY one from FCA from everything I read. The prices were good, but no warranty at all would offset the "savings" at the first repair, and with the technology involved in even the simplest vehicles these days, I'm happier knowing that my tail is covered. Bought mine and then sprang for the lifetime warranty from FCA because I fully intend to keep it until I kick and since the vehicle is registered in both mine and my wife names the warranty will live until the other one dries up and blows away!

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The lifetime warranty, if you plan on keeping the truck, is a great piece of mind. I'm not sure I could buy a truck without any type of warranty, as other have said so many electronics that can just go out or malfunction and one repair would wipe away any savings you had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
from what i have read, i would stay away from any deal on a canadian truck. too many have posted, you buy as is no warranty.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 2500
Was just reading a horror story on facebook from a guy trying to get warranty work done on a Canadian Ram. I would Dodge the issues and look for an American market Ram.

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 2017 expedition that came from Canada and got a great deal. Never had any problems with warranty work at any dealership. There was never a question with the title or vin number. I can also get an extended warranty through the factory for it if I choose. If Chrysler has a problem servicing their own vehicles then maybe you shouldn't buy it.