Canceled lifetime warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
YEP....I'm well aware of that...It's like the law enforcement fraternity....LIE...LIE...LIE to cover you or your buds ****...The G.M. didn't know what to say when I told him all this paperwork was being forwarded to the STATE CONSUMER PROTECTION AGENCY...I never wasted my time doing it, knowing full well nothing would come of it...Stealerships bring in too much sales tax revenue for state and local governments...

Dude... the GM wont care because the finance guy is there to make the dealer money. Over selling something hoping you don't notice is NOT a lie.. it's NOT a scam, and it's NOT anything other than sales.... The state consumer protection agency would not even look at the complaint after reading it...

If you go somewhere not knowing the value of what you're buying, and you pay what they ask for, then that's YOUR fault, no one elses, ever, for any reason. Part of consumer protection is ensuring you're familiar with what you're buying. This is a lot like the eggheads that are stating the bw44-44 is a bad transfer case, but, they purchased it, and it's there own fault for NOT knowing what it is, what it does, and how it works. Same applies here. As for the police comment, agreed, offensive, but your entitled to your opinion. Even if it's wrong :)

TarPaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Black Edition 1500
Engine
Hemi V8
Complain...

it sounds like a bunch of bs to me

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You're using a pretty broad brush when you make statements like that. It maybe the way business is done where you worked, but it sure hasn't been my experience in 40 years in LE. Maybe this needs to be on another thread but IMHO your statement is not only ******** it's offensive!!!!!!
Jay
Jay, thank you for your service, both as a Marine and a LEO. Ignore that petulant child, he is just one tantrum after another. I highly doubt he is, or ever was, law enforcement. If he was, he was likely a stain on the badge.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
All of us have been annoyed at dealers when buying a car before, but don’t forget this is what they do, its their jobs. And the biz is actually a million times better now than it was even a few decades ago. They try to screw you and if you are stupid enough to take whatever they first throw at you then that’s on you. But just because you caught them trying to do what they do, youre going to throw a fit at the finance guy AND the GM and act like its personal..lol. Why? Oh, just to be a *****. Im sure at the end of the day the GM really gave a ****…. He was probably thinking about 15 other things going on that actually mattered. Not some irate ******* customer who threw a temper tantrum over a warranty upsell and all he needed to get the ammunition was the internet. Yeah you really outsmarted them! They all prob would have been more annoyed if you just presented your evidence with a smile and said no. Now you made yourself worse than they were.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Traded in my truck at 50,274.1 miles and cancelled the life time warranty that I originally paid $3,500 for. The dealer reimbursed me $1,470.25. After receiving the paper work of the reimbursement and going home. I noticed a Dealer chargeback of $713.02
Does that even make since? I don't see how the dealer had any investment in my $3,500. I was also charged a cancellation fee of $75.00 and I understand that do to processing/filing fee.
I called and spoke to a lady at ram care. And she had no advice or opinion.
What do you guys and gals think of this? Thank you in advance. Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like a fair amount you got back for the mileage you put on the truck, the $75 bucks for paper work is understandable But I see know reason the dealer should have taken a dime of your money otherwise.
Myself I would not have left until they made this right $ 713 is a lot of money for them to take from you for no reason.
Is there somewhere in your paperwork that states they get a % of the money if you cancel the warranty early ?
Not sure why they would since they made money on the sale to start with.

Edit, I find it pretty sad that there are a number of people here that think its just fine that alot dealers try to screw you , Yes you need to try to protect your self and read up and have knowledge about the product your looking to buy BUT it would be nice if morals, honestly and some sort of respect would come into play and some point.

Last edited:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Seems like a fair amount you got back for the mileage you put on the truck, the $75 bucks for paper work is understandable But I see know reason the dealer should have taken a dime of your money otherwise.
Myself I would not have left until they made this right $ 713 is a lot of money for them to take from you for no reason.
Is there somewhere in your paperwork that states they get a % of the money if you cancel the warranty early ?
Not sure why they would since they made money on the sale to start with.

Edit, I find it pretty sad that there are a number of people here that think its just fine that alot dealers try to screw you , Yes you need to try to protect your self and read up and have knowledge about the product your looking to buy BUT it would be nice if morals, honestly and some sort of respect would come into play and some point.

Why even get money back ?

You paid for it in case you needed it....so, they win.......if you needed it, you win.

Do you get a refund back on life insurance if you don't use it ???

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Well its NOT life insurance for one.
Why get money back because you bought it for a lenght of time and you did not need it for that lenght so its pro-rated and you get a refund on the time you did not use it.
Just like you can transfer to another owner when you sell it ( in some cases) or even transfer it to you next truck., if you do they dont take money from you when doing so.
The hole point is the dealer took 713$ out of the money for no reason.
If they dont want to prorate the warranty thats fine but when they offer it the dealer should not be able to take part of it.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Why get money back because you bought it for a lenght of time and you did not need it for that lenght so its pro-rated and you get a refund on the time you did not use it.
Just like you can transfer to another owner when you sell it ( in some cases) or even transfer it to you next truck., if you do they dont take money from you when doing so.
If they dont want to prorate the warranty thats fine but when they offer it the dealer should not be able to take part of it.

this is the issue, the DEALER took the money.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
They screw so many people that don't have a clue. Charge for locking out nuts that came with the truck. That must be common practice, 2 of them tried that with me. I told a finance guy I wasn't paying 8 bucks for a temp tag. He said ok but you would be surprised what you pay for. I went through all the numbers when I got home, it was 8 bucks more. Went back up there and when I left I had a check for 250.00. That was my price to make it right. I've had them change the numbers by a 1000. And say oops. So to the guys that trust the dealers as there slapping you on the back as you're walking out. They probably got you.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

It was a rhetorical question......

You buy the warranty betting you will need it....they sell it betting you won't.

So why even giver it back ?? You paid the fee for the comfort of knowing if something happened, you were covered.

Correct, you didn't use it, but it was there if you needed it.

Anyway....I won't get any back, and don't expect too...............

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Right its there and if I use it or dont use it if I sell my truck before the extended warranty is up Or just cancel it I will get back a check for the percentage of time that was left on the warranty just like they told me I would when I bought it.
There is no reason the dealer should take a cut of this either.
Not sure why you would not want money that is owed to by the terms of the extended warranty? unless your extended warrenty did not have the prorated option with it.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right its there and if I use it or dont use it if I sell my truck before the extended warranty is up Or just cancel it I will get back a check for the percentage of time that was left on the warranty just like they told me I would when I bought it.
There is no reason the dealer should take a cut of this either.
Not sure why you would not want money that is owed to by the terms of the extended warranty? unless your extended warrenty did not have the prorated option with it.

Mine is lifetime, and after 7 yrs from the in-service date (which is only ~ 2 yrs away for my 2012 with only 17,860 on it), I won't really get any back no matter what (well, 25 bucks max).

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Why even get money back ?

You paid for it in case you needed it....so, they win.......if you needed it, you win.

Do you get a refund back on life insurance if you don't use it ???

Since one of the selling features is if you don't use it you get your money back. Of course there is fine print. Nothing in my contract says the dealership gets any money out of it. Theft, pure and simple.

malatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar
Since one of the selling features is if you don't use it you get your money back. Of course there is fine print. Nothing in my contract says the dealership gets any money out of it. Theft, pure and simple.

At what time or point, when you don't use it, would you get your money back . Please explain.

It's my understand is that if a cost of repair is greater than the value of the truck, they buy you out of the policy at the value of the truck. By contract, you are in fact using policy at that time. Is this the scenario you are referring to?

Last edited:

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you never use or claim any warranty work under the policy, they refund the purchase price. Once you use it, you lose that benefit.

swanny297

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Traded in my truck at 50,274.1 miles and cancelled the life time warranty that I originally paid $3,500 for. The dealer reimbursed me $1,470.25. After receiving the paper work of the reimbursement and going home. I noticed a Dealer chargeback of $713.02
Does that even make since? I don't see how the dealer had any investment in my $3,500. I was also charged a cancellation fee of $75.00 and I understand that do to processing/filing fee.
I called and spoke to a lady at ram care. And she had no advice or opinion.
What do you guys and gals think of this? Thank you in advance. Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope doesn't make sense - this was added as an extra line item, taxed and financed into your note. Didn't cost the dealership a dime to sell you the extended warranty in fact they probably made 20-30% on the cost of the warranty. Your contract should have stated a prorated amount and fee for early cancellation after the bumper to bumper warranty expired. There is no reason for them to keep any of it unless it specifies it in the fine print which they should be able to show you.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
At what time or point, when you don't use it, would you get your money back . Please explain.

It's my understand is that if a cost of repair is greater than the value of the truck, they buy you out of the policy at the value of the truck. By contract, you are in fact using policy at that time. Is this the scenario you are referring to?

you get a prorated amount. nothing about the dealer getting a cut of that amount. pull out your contract and read the fine print.

Reactions: Kab

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm just speculating here but I'm almost thinking they have to offer a prorated refund if you sell since they don't allow it to be transferred. Wouldn't they have to offer one or the other? (xfer to new owner or refund). I'm pretty sure all of the other warranties with mileage or year limits are transferable (with some xfer fee, of course).

It's funny, the dealer tries so hard to sell me on the warranty but honestly now that I have a lifetime warranty it makes me more likely to just hang onto my truck (which is a dealer's nightmare :))

At least when I look at the overall picture of keeping or buying again it's a factor to consider.

Reactions: Kab

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you never use or claim any warranty work under the policy, they refund the purchase price. Once you use it, you lose that benefit.

not on a lifetime warranty............