Check engine light......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So two days ago, i went to remote start my truck and it shut off after 10 seconds. I thought maybe i hit the button on the fob to shut the truck off and didnt think much of it. Drove around ( never noticed the check engine light or anything wrong with the truck, so not sure if it was lit or not.....its so small and not too noticable if you arent looking for it )

Yesterday morning, same thing, shut off after 10 seconds of auto start. This time I get in and start the truck and see the the little engine icon lit up on the rpm gauge. I take it to autozone on my way to work and ( i forget the code # ) but the guy said likely issue whas gas cap or line leak, so i took off the cap and put the cap back on, making sure a solid 4-5 clicks.

This morning ( day 3 ), i start the truck and the engine light was still there.

I did get gas earlier in the afteroon two days ago ( did not over fill it or anything like that ), and that evening was when I had the truck shut off after remote start for the first time, so maybe it was the cap, but shouldn't it be gone by now? Ive driven about 25 miles is 3 days, maybe 20-30 minutes of driving time total.

The truck is running fine from what i can tell.

Anything else i could check or where to check? I'm sure i'll have to wait a week of so to bring it in to a dealership since i live in bummblefuck and the closest one to me always seems booked or busy.....plus i didnt buy my truck from them either, so i'm sure ill be back-listed.

Thanks

Last edited:

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did autozone reset the lamp for you? If not, it takes a few ignition cycles to reset (if the fault cleared), mileage or time does not matter. Have the code read again and post the number(s).

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If the light stays on after 3 or 4 key cycles then get the code read again and this time, write it down. Then we can narrow down the fault.

OP
OP
N

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks guys, I'll head back today and get the code. I've done at least 8 cycles ( as I'm typing this ) since I re-tightened the cap and it's still there.

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If your low fuel light is on the auto start will shut off after about 10 seconds so the truck shutting off and the CEL could be unrelated.

OP
OP
N

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had 3/4 of a tank and now down to half.

OP
OP
N

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I got the code at autozone. Closest ram dealer can't see me for a week and half, go figure. Another one a bit farther away told me I can swing by Friday after 1pm for them to plug in and see what's up.

Anyway, code is PO456.
Likely issues small evap leak.
Probable causes, gas cap faulty, evap canister defective or hose cracks, purge or vent solenoid defective, vacuum leak at engine.

Auto zone said they can't clear codes anymore apparently

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Seriously, you can buy a cheap ODBII scan tool for like $20 or so and not be dependent on VatoZone.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not a big deal. Just make an appointment at the dealer to get it fixed. A small Evap leak isn't going to leave you walking. But if we are just guessing, I will say it needs an ESIM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not a big deal. Just make an appointment at the dealer to get it fixed. A small Evap leak isn't going to leave you walking. But if we are just guessing, I will say it needs an ESIM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disconnected the battery to clear the code. I'll see if it comes back before I can take it in.

Once I read the symptoms, I realized it's no big deal. Just ****** that a one year old vehicle has had now two issues. First week I owned the truck I had to take it back to have them replace the BCM and now some sort of evap issue........ Awesome.

Also, what's an ESIM?