"Check Gas Cap" error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pmaru77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm getting a gas cap error. I stopped by the dealer and he cleared it out, but the error came back before I even left the parking lot. So it looks like I have to bring it in. Sux to lose a truck for the day for a stinking gas cap error. 2012 hemi with 18K miles and still under warrantee. Anyone been through this?

fat1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
evap sensor.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Gas cap light comes on when a large Evap leak is detected. So you could have an Evap leak, or possibly a faulty leak detector.

OP
OP
P

pmaru77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thnx......to the stealership we go. I hate going there for any reason. I'm going to need to get a computer thing so I can monitor my truck after warrantee is up in October. If I knew it was a sensor, I'd buy it on my own and repalce it on my own dime as opposed to waiting 4 hours to have the dealer screw with it. But I won't as long as I have the warrantee. How much do those gadgets cost? (programmer?)

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thnx......to the stealership we go. I hate going there for any reason. I'm going to need to get a computer thing so I can monitor my truck after warrantee is up in October. If I knew it was a sensor, I'd buy it on my own and repalce it on my own dime as opposed to waiting 4 hours to have the dealer screw with it. But I won't as long as I have the warrantee. How much do those gadgets cost? (programmer?)
You can get a cheap Bluetooth one from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner-Engine-Reader/dp/B0051CAE1C and
use a smartphone app to clear codes... Should be less than $50 all in.

Sent via Tapatalk

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pmaru77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wow, I forgot to give an update on my gas cap error. turns out rats or mice chewed through some wire(s) on top of the gas tank. $200 it cost me, that's after talking them down. But to their credit, they spent a lot of time figuring it out.

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have this error code now. Dealer said it'd go away as the PCM resets itself. It hasn't. Will take it in. Due for an oil change anyway. Will report what they say.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01