Chrysler lifetime extended warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Is this for real? Chrysler extended warranty, Factory backed extended warranties for Dodge, Jeep and Chrysler vehicles says they sell a Chrysler backed warranty that is for the life of the vehicle and covers everything except:

"Maintenance services and items used in such services.
Glass, plastic lenses.
Body and paint items, including soft trim.
Wear items such as manual clutch assembly, brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums and belts are not covered at any time.
Snow plows, winches and trailer hitches"

Their quote for my truck is $2250 with a $100 deductible. Really? No mileage or time limits for a "bumper to bumper" warranty?

That really strikes me as too good to be true, but I know Chrysler did have a lifetime powertrain warranty for awhile.

So, anyone know if this is really through Chrysler? I only put about 5-6k miles a year on my truck, tops, but even at that a lifetime might be worth it. As long as I don't wreck it....:bawl:...I'd never have an issue that for over $100. Again, seems kinda too good to be true.

CUOFFRD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like the same one I bought for my wife's 2008 Grand Cherokee. It was a Chrysler Service Contracts Warranty, actually being sold by a Chrysler dealer. We got the $50 deductable version. If it is, I wouldn't hesitate. Ours has almost paid for itself.
I didn't realize it had rental car coverage too, but we had a rental for almost a week while they replaced her transmission, everything was covered.

Even our service guy was impressed.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Looks like the same one I bought for my wife's 2008 Grand Cherokee. It was a Chrysler Service Contracts Warranty, actually being sold by a Chrysler dealer. We got the $50 deductable version. If it is, I wouldn't hesitate. Ours has almost paid for itself.
I didn't realize it had rental car coverage too, but we had a rental for almost a week while they replaced her transmission, everything was covered.

Even our service guy was impressed.

Good, thanks. I took delivery of the truck today and the dealership offered me the same warranty for $2500. Told them I would buy from them if they price matched or threw in some goodies (step bars, spray in bed liner, that sort of thing). They are getting me a spray in bed liner at cost ($375) and seeing what they can do on price. Seems like a good deal.

dmg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This is the same warranty I got. If you wait about two weeks or so they will send you another quota about $150.00 cheaper.

I showed the quote to my dealer and he matched their price, just to keep me a happy customer. Just before signing the paper work my dealer tried to add sale tax to the contract, I put the pen down and said 'no that price included the tax", two minutes later a price that included the tax.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
This is the same warranty I got. If you wait about two weeks or so they will send you another quota about $150.00 cheaper.

I showed the quote to my dealer and he matched their price, just to keep me a happy customer. Just before signing the paper work my dealer tried to add sale tax to the contract, I put the pen down and said 'no that price included the tax", two minutes later a price that included the tax.

I found it online at just under $2050. I e-mailed it to my salesman to see if he can get the business office to match it. Either way, seems like a good deal if you plan to keep the truck for awhile and keep it pretty well stock.

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I got the same one, Mine was $2000 though but mine also came with a 100k warranty and then I bought the extended

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I bought the extended, good to 100k no matter lenght I own the truck, goes off miles...paid $1350....it CAN be negotiated!

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I bought the extended, good to 100k no matter lenght I own the truck, goes off miles...paid $1350....it CAN be negotiated!

Yeah, I bought the lifetime this morning at about $400 less then my first quoted price. They matched the online price I got from the place in the original post. I did have to pay sales tax, but this dealer has been pretty good to work with and it was worth it for a local business with someone to yell at if something goes wrong.:killer:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Amen....when they throw out that 'number', just say " No thanks "...dont need it...they will go back and forth, just say "give it to me for XXXX and i'lll do it, otherwise leave it off", they'll do it. Plus, piece of mind, and if you don't use it, for $50 it's transferrable, or worth money at trade in.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Amen....when they throw out that 'number', just say " No thanks "...dont need it...they will go back and forth, just say "give it to me for XXXX and i'lll do it, otherwise leave it off", they'll do it. Plus, piece of mind, and if you don't use it, for $50 it's transferrable, or worth money at trade in.

I don't think the lifetime is transferable. It says original owner only. It won't be an issue for a long time, though. This is the first brand new vehicle I've ever bought and I'm driving it for a loooooooooooooong time.

Johnnyson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I have also faced same problem.wait for some time.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I don't think the lifetime is transferable. It says original owner only. It won't be an issue for a long time, though. This is the first brand new vehicle I've ever bought and I'm driving it for a loooooooooooooong time.

the extended I purchased is. Sorry for confusion.

why not ?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7 L
Hi guys I'm new to the forum , just bought a 2012 Ram 2500 6.7 L 6 speed manual ,
I also got the lifetime warranty for $2,700 , but I think its worth it since I will hold on the truck for a long time .
the catch with this lifetime warranty is that , according to what the financial manager told me and between him and me , is that if the repairs exceed the truck value they will not repair it and they are done till there , warranty is over .
Not sure what the value of the truck will be in 10 years , so if you have to replace the Cummins engine $$$$ , figure it out

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd guess that anything with a Cummins will still be worth a good amount in 10 yrs.... at least I'm hoping so.

I'm skeptical about paying this kind of $$$ for an extended warranty, though - it's a bet that >$2500 worth of stuff will go wrong.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Hi guys I'm new to the forum , just bought a 2012 Ram 2500 6.7 L 6 speed manual ,
I also got the lifetime warranty for $2,700 , but I think its worth it since I will hold on the truck for a long time .
the catch with this lifetime warranty is that , according to what the financial manager told me and between him and me , is that if the repairs exceed the truck value they will not repair it and they are done till there , warranty is over .
Not sure what the value of the truck will be in 10 years , so if you have to replace the Cummins engine $$$$ , figure it out

That's not in the contract, and I'd say your financial manager is full of crap. They can't just say "a motor costs more than your truck is worth, so we are not going to honor your warranty" if that's not written in the contract. You can almost smell the lawyers circling the dealership that tries that.

The contract, which I have in front of me right now, says "No Dealer, Dealer employee or Chrysler Group employee has the authority to modify or change any provision of this Plan"

I've read through the whole thing and nowhere does it say anything about a maximum lifetime benefit amount (like health insurance), or cost of repairs vs cost of vehicle (like car insurance). What will cancel the plan are things like tampering with the odometer or registering it in a foreign country.

OP
OP
Docwagon1776

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I'd guess that anything with a Cummins will still be worth a good amount in 10 yrs.... at least I'm hoping so.

I'm skeptical about paying this kind of $$$ for an extended warranty, though - it's a bet that >$2500 worth of stuff will go wrong.

In this case its lifetime, though. If you are going to keep the truck 10-15 years, you are probably going to run into $2500 of covered repairs. Unless you crash it and total it out, you'll probably come out ahead.

I think Chrysler banks on most people who buy a brand new car swapping cars every 5-7 years. In that case "lifetime" really only amounts to a few years past factory warranty and then its a losing bet.

For the record, I used to work for an extended warranty company. Most extended warranties are a losing bet. You are paying for the following:

1) Average cost of repair/replacement per actuarial charts.
2) Underwriter's profit (Underwriter is the company that actually pays claims)
3) Administration of contract (call centers, lawyers to write contracts, etc. etc.)
4) Profit for Administration company (like I worked for)
5) Marketing costs, both at the administration level and the POS (Point of Sale)
6) POS profit

On average, if you self fund, you are only responsible for the first one. That's why "self insuring" is the cheapest in the long run and you should only insure/warranty costs that would be significant burden on you if you had to shoulder the costs alone. Warranties and insurance spread the risk around so that the burden is less per person, but at a greater cost.

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
I had it on my 02, i just bought my 04 and i am waiting for the lein release from my 02 to sell them the warranty back, i had over 6k in recepts in my pos 02, the warranty tripled its value.

why not ?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7 L
Well , today the financial manager called my phone and left me a message to call him , as soon as I finished work I stopped at the dealer and he told me that he made a mistake and he can't put a lifetime warranty in the system for the diesel trucks , it is not offered by Chrysler as a Lifetime for diesels.
So I can choose a 7/100,000 max care or he can return my $2,700 back
I will choose my money back and keep my Geico Breakdown Insurance for $6 every 6 month for a 7/100,000 bumper to bumper with a $250 deductible per visit to whatever repair shop I choose , including a ram dealer . Very disappointed with not be able to get the Lifetime warranty on my 6.7 diesel:emotions122:

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The lifetime warranty w/$100 deductible was included when I purchased my '09 after the bailout stuff. I hope I never need it.

BlackDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 3500 CCLB 4X4 Big Horn
Engine
Chrysler Lifetime Warranty

"2007 and newer Chrysler vehicles could qualify for a Lifetime Powertrain warranty or upgrade to a full bumper-to-bumper Lifetime warranty. Viper, all SRT vehicles, Sprinter, Ram Cab/Chassis, diesel equipped vehicles and some non-personel use vehicles are excluded. "

Hmmm.