Clicking sound when hear set to floor help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just hopped in my truck about 15 minutes ago and turned me heat in to full speed and set to floor and I could hear a "clicking" noise. Now before anyone says blend door. I'm almost 100% certain that's not the problem. I have had multiple vehicles with bad blend doors and actuators and that's not the type of noise I am hearing. It sounds like a fast rotary tick/click almost like a leaf stuck in the fan blower cage and slapping plastic with each revolution it makes. I have not had a chance to look into it as i just noticed it and it's dark and single digit temps. I know when I drove the truck a couple hours ago The noise wasn't present. Also it does not make the sound on any other setting than the floor setting. So I am fairly certain it is not blower motor related either.

Do you guys think it's possible a piece of plastic or leaf or some other debris is stuck somewhere in the floor duct/floor blend door area and would be causing the noise?. It's not a "horrible or loud noise" but it is annoying. It sounds like a little baby toy helicopter in my dash almost haha.

Anyone else had a similar issue?. Idea on what I can look for?.

I'm hoping it's just a piece of debris or something in there and will escape on its own and I won't have to dig to find it. Thanks in advance

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Video or it didn't happen? ;)

Seriously though, yeah, post a vid of the noise and yes, probably something down in there. Do you have a cabin air filter? Pop the door and filter off and run the fan while you block off the outlets. Maybe whatever it is will blow back out that way without the need to tear into things.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And all level settings are still working correctly as well. Like I said in my previous post. It's not a clicking noise like when a blend door try's to close and the actuator head spins inside the hinge plastic and makes a clicking noise or a clicking noise you would get from a stripped gear. It's almost the sound of like a deli fancy wrapper inside the fan as it spins around. Just wanted to clarify a little more so you guys can better understand the noise in describing.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Video or it didn't happen? ;)

Seriously though, yeah, post a vid of the noise and yes, probably something down in there. Do you have a cabin air filter? Pop the door and filter off and run the fan while you block off the outlets. Maybe whatever it is will blow back out that way without the need to tear into things.

No I have not done the cabin air filter mod on the truck yet so I don't have access. And honestly I don't think the sound would pick up on video. I'm a overly sensitive and in tune with my vehicles so I tend to pick up on things most people wouldn't even notice.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
You probably had it figured with your stuck leaf guess.

Drop the fan and inspect/clean.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Drove the truck a couple hours and the noise does not seem to be there any longer. best guess is it was a leaf or some other sort of debris stuck on the floor blend door and flapping around on high speed. Hope this short lived thread is able to help someone in the future though.