common or uncommon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brandon.colt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hello all,
New member here. One week ago today I bought my first brand new vehicle!!!, 2012 1500 Outdoorsman 4x4. Over the week I've been learning a lot by browsing these threads and getting others thoughts on many areas of these trucks.

Now that I've been driving it for a week, I've found a few issues with it. I'm wondering how many out there have or have had any of these issues?

1. passenger door does not electronically lock/ unlock, I have to reach over and manually lock/ unlock it.
2. transfer case does not go into neutral.
3. underhood light will not turn on

Thanks for your insite and help, except those "do a search" guys... I have.

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My rear drivers side door wouldn't lock when I first bought it, but I manually locked and unlocked it several times and it loosened up. I've had it almost a year and haven't had any problems since.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I don't think there's too many 'do a search guys' around here. Its pretty layed back. Welcome aboard BTW, and congrats on the truck...

I know the 3rd gens (ie my truck) the wires in the boot of the door become fragile and break... I don't know if I've ever heard of a truck doing it as early in life as yours, but it'd be something to check.. do the other power accessories work on the door? Power locks, lights, etc?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Take it to dealer, keep all receipts. Don't hesitate, even small fixes the dealer doesn't fix right can get you a lemon case after 4 tries in a certain amount of time. You transfer case should be able to go to neutral, I wouldn't rest til they fixed that, and now that you know it is a problem you should engage you t case every week for a while so you know it is fixed. I had a problem with my t case, a tire store drilled my 4x4 line and it kept shorting the transfer case. Took a long time to diagnose and I had to sue to win, and in fact won the lawsuit and got paid. Just make sure you get it in under warranty because t cases fixes start at 2 grand from the dealer.

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
Beautiful truck! Welcome to the forum. Like Burla stated ^^^ Take it back to the dealer and have them look at it. Keep going back until the problems are taken care of.

OP
OP
brandon.colt

brandon.colt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for the input, I wasn't expecting a response this quick. The lock was working just fine the first couple days I had the truck. One push of the button. So far all other electrical works properly, lights, locks, windows. Minus the transfer case neutral and the underhood light.

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Definitely take it to the dealer. I'm all about DIY installs for mods and stuff like that. But I'd make them do their job if something isn't working, especially after just a week...get it documented that it was this early.

KBExperience

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's a specific process to get the transfer case in to neutral, if I recall, it's quite complicated.

The door lock SHOULD loosen up, if not take it to the dealer.

Edit: here's the process
1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop.
2. Turn OFF the engine.
3. Turn the ignition key to the ON position, but do not start the engine.
4. Press the brake pedal.
5. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.
6. Press the transfer case switch NEUTRAL button for four seconds.
7. After the shift is completed and the NEUTRAL light comes on, release the NEUTRAL button.
8. Start the engine.
9. Shift the transmission into REVERSE.
10. Release the brake pedal for five seconds and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
11. Repeat Steps 9 and 10 with the transmission in DRIVE.
12. Turn the engine OFF and place the ignition key in the unlocked OFF position.
13. Shift the transmission into PARK.
14. Apply the parking brake.
15. Attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle with the tow bar.
16. Release the parking brake.

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You beat me to it. lol So I'll include this...

"The transfer case NEUTRAL (N) position disengages both the front and rear driveshafts
from the powertrain and will allow the vehicle to move, even if the transmission is in PARK. The parking brake should always be applied when the driver is not in the vehicle."

OP
OP
brandon.colt

brandon.colt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for that step by step. I'll try itout tomorrow.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome to RF. Since your truck is under warranty definitely take it back for the issues

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Ha.. forgot about that fancy warranty stuff... yes.. warranty... where someone else does the work.. definitely the best route to go.. :)

OP
OP
brandon.colt

brandon.colt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not happy at all. The lock never loosened up to work as its supposed to. As of yesterday door door is locked and will not unlock at all. I can not open my passenger door now. I'm out of town for the weekend and called a dealer near by to see about dropping the truck off to get fixed. The service manager told me that the last time they encountered that problem, they literally had to rip apart the interior to get to the locking mechanism. And not rip apart as in unscrew and unfasten, but with saws and pry bars and sh*t. And to top it off, the owners truck was in the shop for two weeks.
My excitement of owning my first new truck is gone now. It's a sad day :(
Thanks for reading my rant. As always, I'm open for thoughts, opinions, and sugestions.

Noved

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That Dealer must be nuts my 11 2500 that I leased had the issue but the lock would just jump up instead of get stuck in one position. They never used pry bars or saws I know this because I personally know the tech at the dealer that did it and I can go visit him tomorrow and ask how he did it if you want.

OP
OP
brandon.colt

brandon.colt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I don't know what's going on..... That sucker just won't budge. I can't pull the lock open with my hand, I can't open the door with the handle from the inside. This is very frustrating, I went from a reg cab to a QC and now I can't open the door.
If you have time to talk with your tech, that would be great.
Thanks for the help.

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pretty sure the lock mechanism is right in the door. You could get to it with your bare hands if you had to. And without "ripping anything apart." I've had my door panels off three times in six months.

Black Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can't get the door panel off without opening the door. If you can't open the door you'll have to cut something apart to get to it.