Crew cab with standard bed anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whosjonny

Reaction score
Ram Year
na
Engine
na
I'm just curious if anyone owns or has driven a Crew Cab 1500 with the standard bed (6'4"). It seems non-existent at dealerships, however on the Ram website you can build it like that, just with limited engine choices (Hemi only).

Anyone seen/driven one? Did it handle okay? Just trying to figure out why it isn't popular. I would think 9" more bed= better truck, although the wheelbase is 149" instead of 140".

I feel like if they would add the ecodiesel option with the 8spd auto trans I would be sold on that truck, since I could fit my sportbike in the back with the gate mostly, if not completely up and be able to tow with no worries while enjoying the interior space of a crew cab. It kind of blurs the line between a 1500 and 2500 imo.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
There is a few people on here that them. There was a thread not too long ago.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had one when they first came out. I test drove one with the short bed but never owned one. I never had any problems or found anywhere I couldn't Park. I prefer a bigger truck though because the short bed isn't worth much to me.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There probably not popular, because most that are buying crew cabs are not worried about the 5 ft bed. There being used more for family vehicles. I would love to see a quad cab with the 8ft bed.

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
There probably not popular, because most that are buying crew cabs are not worried about the 5 ft bed. There being used more for family vehicles. I would love to see a quad cab with the 8ft bed.

That would be a pain in the ass to drive in the city lol. would be awesome to have all the room though for sure!

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I was told it would be hard to find a 1/2 ton crew with the 6'4" bed. Because they are to long for most people's liking. I had a V10 3/4 ton club cab with an 8' bed- so I wouldn't have cared. Except for I do not need that much truck anymore. So I have a Quad with the 6'4".
But Need is a funny thing you fill one and then more needs come along.[emoji57]

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I was told it would be hard to find a 1/2 ton crew with the 6'4" bed. Because they are to long for most people's liking. I had a V10 3/4 ton club cab with an 8' bed- so I wouldn't have cared. Except for I do not need that much truck anymore. So I have a Quad with the 6'4".
But Need is a funny thing you fill one and then more needs come along.[emoji57]

yup. i made two dump runs on saturday, one with truck and trailer then one with just the truck (spring cleaning in the fall lol). with the 8' box i likey could have done it in one trip. Problem for me is the amount of times id actually need the larger box, i can usually get away with just towing my trailer.

a buddy of mine used to have an early 80's ford 1 ton, it was a crew cab with an 8' box. It didnt fit through quite a few tim hortons drive throughs.

RossM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm just curious if anyone owns or has driven a Crew Cab 1500 with the standard bed (6'4"). It seems non-existent at dealerships, however on the Ram website you can build it like that, just with limited engine choices (Hemi only).

Anyone seen/driven one? Did it handle okay? Just trying to figure out why it isn't popular. I would think 9" more bed= better truck, although the wheelbase is 149" instead of 140".

I feel like if they would add the ecodiesel option with the 8spd auto trans I would be sold on that truck, since I could fit my sportbike in the back with the gate mostly, if not completely up and be able to tow with no worries while enjoying the interior space of a crew cab. It kind of blurs the line between a 1500 and 2500 imo.

6'4 bed here. I can close my tailgate with the sportbike at an angle and still tow whatever. very convenient... now i just need to get an even longer ramp, since i got a lift and the bike bottoms out at the top.

APFSDS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I almost bought one. Wasn't quite equipped the way I wanted it. I don't think they're all that rare. At least, not in AZ...

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I just picked one up today. The dealership had 2 almost new Laramie's on their lot. One with 8000 miles and a short box. One with 1000 miles and a long box. Both equipped the same. The long box was $4000 cheaper for some reason. I bought the long box for $14,000 below MSRP sticker. I think the long box rides better than my previous 2 short boxes but does turn slightly slower.

Attachments

• IMG_0212.jpg
    IMG_0212.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 103

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its the only way to go!!! I personally love mine, plus i needed the bigger bed for my hauling needs.

I always thought that the crew cabs with the short bed looked a bit like the short bus that the kids wearing the protective helmets ride in...... The crew cab and the 6'4 bed just look right to me.......just my opinion.

I find that this thing turns better than my extended cab ( not crew cab ) silverado did too.

Airborne63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Love mine. I think the short beds look too short for the truck.

KcubSamoht

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I have the 1500 crew cab 6.5' bed combo, and I love it. One benefit is that it does help to settle down the truck when I am towing. The only down side I have found is that I do stick out of most parking spots. But I do get intimidation points driving down the road fully rigged. Too bad for those small car drivers out there. [emoji41]
c0bbc998de50225d0f37de8f16be1d04.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Love mine, I wouldn't have bought the truck if it had short bed

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

bubbasneed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 13 Ram Sport Crew Cab with the 6.4 ft bed. I love mine. Sometimes it is a little too long for a single parking place, so I just park a little further out and take two.

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I have the 1500 crew cab 6.5' bed combo, and I love it. One benefit is that it does help to settle down the truck when I am towing. The only down side I have found is that I do stick out of most parking spots. But I do get intimidation points driving down the road fully rigged. Too bad for those small car drivers out there. [emoji41]

It's even more fun when you put a plow on the front. No such thing as a single parking spot during the winter.

It's a poor quality pic. But this was last winter installing my step bars. Crew cab 6.4 box with a plow.

C8A61DA7-1D29-4CC8-B89A-7420FDD4D39A_zpsocpl5z8v.jpg

Last edited:

Nekozame

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was originally looking for a CC with a short bed. I eventually picked up the standard bed in Max Steel. It took a little getting used to the longer vehicle length in regard to parking in lots I was already used to. I went from an Xterra to this Ram so it is a considerable difference in length. After loading the bed many times with different material, I am glad I went with the standard bed. I have not driven in the short bed version but really enjoy the balance and stability of this setup.