Cruise Control Auto-On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhira

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I was driving my brother's Corvette the other day, and I noticed the car starts with Cruise Control already on. Meaning, as you drive, all you need to do is press the "set" button to lock the speed.

On the Ram, you can't set your cruise control until you turn it on. I like what Chevy does (gasp). Is there any way to make this happen on the Ram?

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
My 2002 Monte Carlo does the same thing. If I leave it on it will be ready to go on the next start cycle. No it will not work on a RAM probably due to the CAN BUS control system.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
a lot of cars have some sort of manual type switch to turn it on, then push button to set and do all the other functions. is this the case? i had a '13 camaro and it was that case in there.

IMO since its a button next to the other ones its not a big deal to do since i only use it a handful of times a month.

OP
OP
dhira

dhira

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My main issue, really, is the fact that RAM throws this huge "CRUISE CONTROL READY" sign over the speed, which seems wildly counter-intuitive, because then I need to wait (usually) for it to go away before I can press the "set" button. I wish it could just give a visual cue off to the side that it was on.

cubmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My main issue, really, is the fact that RAM throws this huge "CRUISE CONTROL READY" sign over the speed, which seems wildly counter-intuitive, because then I need to wait (usually) for it to go away before I can press the "set" button. I wish it could just give a visual cue off to the side that it was on.

This is not a problem. I just look at the Speedo and press set. Then look at the set speed and adjust as needed.

OP
OP
dhira

dhira

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is not a problem. I just look at the Speedo and press set. Then look at the set speed and adjust as needed.

You must not have OCD like me :) it's hard to tell 39 from 40 on a speedo, and having to modify my speed afterwards could be easily fixed if I could see my speed in the first place.

Am I being a whiner and complainer? For the purposes of this thread, yes :)

Is it really a "problem"? No, but replacing the digital speed with a ready message that stays on for 1 to 2 seconds seems really unnecessary. There are much less intrusive ways they could've done it.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You don't have to wait for the message to go away to set the cruise. Just press the cruise on button and then immediately press the set button.

malatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar
So I was driving my brother's Corvette the other day, and I noticed the car starts with Cruise Control already on. Meaning, as you drive, all you need to do is press the "set" button to lock the speed.

On the Ram, you can't set your cruise control until you turn it on. I like what Chevy does (gasp). Is there any way to make this happen on the Ram?

I believe it's a GM thing. My last three cars before my Ram were GM. All of the cruise controls had a mechanical off on switch for the cruise. If it was in the on position, the cruise was on. At that point all you had to do was press the set button.

magic280z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I too find this problem annoying. I've started turning the cruise on as I get on the interstate so I don't have to worry about the annoying message. Seems like I can't hold speed and press on then set for some reason. I prefer the digital speedo as the steering wheel blocks my view of the analog speedometer over about 50mph. I have this problem is most cars, but it is worse on the newer cars as they move away from analog and prefer digital screens in between.