Current GMC Sierra owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeeMogul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And at this time, i am considering trading BACK into a Ram 1500. I have a 2016 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 with the All Star Package. So I realize that the 45,000 dollar sticker price for that, isn't much different than that of a Laramie. I have the 5.3 with 3.42 gears. So basically, what can you guys tell me about the 2017 Ram? I'd be looking at either a Laramie or an up-leveled Black Appearance Package truck. I know I would be going back to an 8-speed transmission. And would it be possible to get a Laramie or Black Appearance truck with 18 inch tires?

OP
OP
L

LeeMogul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And what benefits would you guys think i would see with making the move back to Ram? And how is the 2018 model year looking?

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I were you, I might hold off for a bit. Right now there really is very little info on the redesign, just spy pics on possible looks. Ram will probably reveal the new truck at auto shows and such. It may be a bit of a wait, but you don't wanna buy a Ram now and if the redesign blows you away you'll be "why didn't I just wait and get THAT!!!". And if you don't like the new version, when they release info on it, you'll still be able to grab a '17 no problem. Maybe even for a better deal at that time too.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And what benefits would you guys think i would see with making the move back to Ram? And how is the 2018 model year looking?

You won't lose much, you'll get more power, and a better ride for the most part, but you're going a step backwards. The Z71 package and transfer case make rams 4x4 system look like it belongs in a subaru.

OP
OP
L

LeeMogul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a good point, honestly. Any info atall about what differences the 2018 will have?

OP
OP
L

LeeMogul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You won't lose much, you'll get more power, and a better ride for the most part, but you're going a step backwards. The Z71 package and transfer case make rams 4x4 system look like it belongs in a subaru.

I think I actually let out an audible cackle over Subaru thing

OP
OP
L

LeeMogul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

What about compared to the Outdoorsman?

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What about compared to the Outdoorsman?

Well, The case in what you have is a beast, one of the best ( IMO ), the 44-45 in the outdoorsman is decent and will suffice, but it's still not what you have. I'm biased, ram rocks, and honestly, the 44-44 ( in the Laramie ) will do everything you need. I personally feel most of the errors people are having are user errors. I'm lifted ( 6" ) with 35-inch tires, and I purposely find anything I can and go offroad. I and my kids will be driving down the freeway, " LOOK DADDY, A BRIDGE LETS GO UNDER IT ".. I've yet to have any issues, so take that with a grain of salt. If you're going Laramie, you're getting an overall better truck, a better motor, a better transmission, and the transfer case is is honestly a matter of opinion.

OP
OP
L

LeeMogul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, The case in what you have is a beast, one of the best ( IMO ), the 44-45 in the outdoorsman is decent and will suffice, but it's still not what you have. I'm biased, ram rocks, and honestly, the 44-44 ( in the Laramie ) will do everything you need. I personally feel most of the errors people are having are user errors. I'm lifted ( 6" ) with 35-inch tires, and I purposely find anything I can and go offroad. I and my kids will be driving down the freeway, " LOOK DADDY, A BRIDGE LETS GO UNDER IT ".. I've yet to have any issues, so take that with a grain of salt. If you're going Laramie, you're getting an overall better truck, a better motor, a better transmission, and the transfer case is is honestly a matter of opinion.

I completely agree. I dont need something to go "muddin'" in, or off-road'n in(aside from cases where I'm picking up a fling and she has a rough driveway, or I'm going to the park way, or hiking, hunting, fishing, etc). I really enjoy the Z71's suspension compared to the regular LT/LTZ suspension. It's a little "stiffer" when it comes to pot holes or bumps in the road, but it handles and rides the "waves" in the road a lot better. For me a large screen is a must which, as petty as it sounds, was the reason I traded in my 2015 Ram. It was a Big Horn but had a rather small screen. So whenever Ram I get, I'd have to have whatever uConnect is equivalent to the 7-8inch Intellilink screen. I know a lot of GM owners who own, say, an LTZ, High Country or Denali speak highly of the Magnaride suspension, but i have no experience in it, only from what I've read. How does the Laramie suspension compare to that? I really do like the look of the Outdoorsman, too. I'm not a big fan of chrome, but for some reason the Laramie is an exception haha

OP
OP
L

LeeMogul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
and I've seen a lot of people with lifted Rams, F-150's and Silverado/Sierras. And truthfully i feel like the Ram looks a lot better. It's almost like the Ram body style is perfectly suited to be modified. No particular modification looks bad, at all. It's crazy. But if you took your 6 inch lift and put it on a Sierra/Silverado or Ford, it wouldn't look right at all

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
there are some crazy deals out there now. why wait?

OP
OP
L

LeeMogul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
True, man. I'm even considering going the 2500 route and trying to get the 2500 with a 6.4. But i would absolutely love to be able to get an Outdoorsman with the Black Appearance package and I'm not even sure if that's possible?

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
True, man. I'm even considering going the 2500 route and trying to get the 2500 with a 6.4. But i would absolutely love to be able to get an Outdoorsman with the Black Appearance package and I'm not even sure if that's possible?
Try to build one on their site... it'll let you know if it's an available option.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Subaru make a prety good vehicle

tuned by Jay Greene

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
GM makes a great truck, main downside (to me), is that they are just so darned ugly. The Ram just looks so much better. Either way, you will have a great truck!

16'EcoD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I prefer the GM. Only reason I got out of my 13' was because 15mp/g was killing me and the idiots in Canada voted in a liberal that tanked our dollar which got me a extra 10k trade in compared to year before. GM wouldn't deal on 2.8duramax and ram came down 16k.

Getting out of a 16' v8gasser half ton to get into a 17' old gen v8gasser half ton can't make sense

OP
OP
L

LeeMogul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
GM makes a great truck, main downside (to me), is that they are just so darned ugly. The Ram just looks so much better. Either way, you will have a great truck!

Maybe this makes me weird, but i think a truck's trim can make or break a brand. Like, for Ram, i LOVE the look of the Laramie and Outdoorsman(with the back rims). I almost think that the Laramie is one of the best looking trucks there is. And it's crazy, but there isn't a big price difference between a GMC SLE with a Z71 and the All Star Edition, and a 2017 Ram 1500 Laramie. I think it has to do with GM being too "proud" of their name and trying to have amore competitive cost structure. Which also means they sell less. But in my opinion my trucks or choice go like this: Ram 1500 Laramie, GMC Sierra SLE All Terrain, GMC Sierra SLE, Ram 1500 Outdoorsman. I just feel like certain trims look better on certain vehicles. I feel like, ultimately, if I could do it all over again, i would have went with the 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie in either Prairie Monotone, or Black Forest Green Monotone

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
My 2 cents from a Old Fart :) GMC makes a GREAT truck as well. You state you have a 2016, and you will take a beating on a trade in, private sale would net you the most $$$ BUT the HIT you will take IMO is not worth it.. YES the RAM is a GREAT truck and drives like a car BUT The $$$ loss is not worth it to me! Now if you have a High paying job and the loss of $$ will not hurt you then take the hit if that is what you want.. A Impulse buy can hurt you in more ways then you think. So If it were me I would hold off awhile . BUT if you go the new RAM you will LOVE it :)

Good Luck
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

adboyd06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
I like you am very concerned with the trim level and "creature comforts" as they call it. I owned at 14 Sierra SLT z71, it was nice very nice truck and fully loaded but was not happy with the 3.21 / 5.3 combo. Lost a good chunk of change switching to my 2015 RAM 1500 Sport Blackout but could not be happier. I like the RAM interior better and you cannot go wrong with the exterior Blackout styling with the Hemi and 3.92 rear end. Very pleased I made the switch.