Damage to truck from ditch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TreeMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all, first post here! Hopefully not my last.
On my way home from work tonight I hit a patch of black ice on the highway, skidded sideways and ended up in the ditch. I managed to get myself out after driving in the ditch to a less hilly part and getting a good run at it.
The truck drove fine the rest of the way home, no issues whatsoever. I did a thorough walk-around and inspected everything underneath and everything looks exactly the same.

Is there anything I should be keeping an eye out for? Or are these trucks pretty durable as far as suspension and alignment go?
It's a 2015 ram 1500 4x4 crew cab.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Glad you are ok. How hard did u hit? If the frame is bent at all, you would want to get your insurance involved, those are sometimes a total.

OP
OP
T

TreeMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was going 110km/h when I started to slide, was on the brakes the whole time so not sure how much I managed to slow down before I got to the ditch. Definitely left some skid marks on that road.
I don't think I was going too fast since I only slid in about 8 feet.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Unless you hit something in the ditch, or it was a very steep one, I doubt the frame is damaged. Drive it for a while, and if you don't feel anything wrong with it, I'd let it be. If you a super-paranoid, even though everything looks/feels good, take it to a reputable shop and they can usually check it out for you.

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I would at least go get the alignment checked. Rather than just drive it & see. If there was an issue you'd wan to get insurance involved sooner rather than later.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get it to an alaingment shop and see what it looks like. If it is way out then yup can talk to insurance, there is usually a timeframe to report accidents to them so you don't want to wait a long time.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you may want to inform your insurance about it if you think you may have a claim down he road. Not only do you have to worry about your truck, but sometimes soreness to ones body doesnt come up until a few days down the road.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Ya seem kinda worried. Lol. I've done worse, harder and never even thought about it. Lol. You must be from Edmonton area.
Hello from down South.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
While you are at the alignment shop see if you can't get it up on a lift and inspect the underside for obvious damage, bent suspension, etc... I don't think you did any damage but I'd check anyway.

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Better to pay for an alignment check today than four tires next year if it's out

OP
OP
T

TreeMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the replies. I'll be taking it to an alignment shop to check it since it's free anyways. I've got a year to let my insurance know about anything so I'll wait on that, I'd be very doubtful that anything that serious would be wrong though haha. I just haven't slid into the ditch for a long time and I know that some of the parts of these newer vehicles aren't quite as strong or sturdy as they used to be back in the day.
And hey Jimmy, not from Edmonton lol. I live between Calgary and Red Deer in a tiny little town.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
hope you took pics in case you have a claim.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for all the replies. I'll be taking it to an alignment shop to check it since it's free anyways. I've got a year to let my insurance know about anything so I'll wait on that, I'd be very doubtful that anything that serious would be wrong though haha. I just haven't slid into the ditch for a long time and I know that some of the parts of these newer vehicles aren't quite as strong or sturdy as they used to be back in the day.
And hey Jimmy, not from Edmonton lol. I live between Calgary and Red Deer in a tiny little town.

If you don't have a shop already in mind,take it to Dan at W&B in Airdrie,across from the Dairy Queen,he's pretty decent to deal with.
If youy're looking for a good dealer Mountain View Dodge in Olds is better then Airdrie Dodge or the dealers in the city,when it comes to issues,lol See Charlie at MountainView.

Last edited:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree on checking the alignment.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'd check alignment just because it's inexpensive and you can't do it too often. Beyond that, so long as you didn't hit any culverts or the like, I'd relax and drive it. I used to drive late model stock cars with suspension components much less robust than what we have in our Rams, and never saw an issue from a simple spin--so long as we didn't hit anything in the grass or tag the wall.
Best,
DG

OP
OP
T

TreeMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you don't have a shop already in mind,take it to Dan at W&B in Airdrie,across from the Dairy Queen,he's pretty decent to deal with.
If youy're looking for a good dealer Mountain View Dodge in Olds is better then Airdrie Dodge or the dealers in the city,when it comes to issues,lol See Charlie at MountainView.

Funny thing is I had emailed him before I even saw this haha.
And yes, I agree Mountain View Dodge is way better than Airdrie. I actually work across the street from Mountain View so it's convenient too. Have had a few bad experiences with the service side of the Airdrie dealership.