Dealer not selling Quad Cabs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyinfarmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
I'm new to the forum and maybe new to RAM trucks. Have been a Ford guy for a long time, but 2 bad trucks in a row (6.0L, need I say more; and F150 cab corner rust with NO help from Ford on $5K repair) has me seriously thinking a 1500 Quad Cab is in my future.

I have a truck picked out, but the dealer popped on me Thursday that they can't sell any new Quad Cabs because of passenger side airbag deployment happening too soon. I see there has been some history on airbags going off when you slam the door, but I can't find anything on the web about sales being shut down. Is my dealer playing games with me?

BTW - my target truck is 1500 Big Horn, Hemi, QuadCab, 3.21 gears, RAMBOX in Granite, Silver, or Max Steel.

Thanks,
Chris

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Know about the air bag bulletin, BUT didn't know they couldn't sale them.
Have you tried a different dealer?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
News to me but then again, I haven't been truck shopping lately.

Seems like a BS story to me.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could just be he doesn't want to sell them so he wouldn't have to fix it later

Sent from the fetal position using Tapatalk

jackblackjeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You'd figure they'd just work in the unsold trucks on the lot to get the repair done so they could get them out the door. They only lose money sitting on the lot.

tsc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your dealer is being legit.

It was posted on another Ram forum (google "stop sale order")
Here is the NTHSA campaign # 15V460000

A quick cut and copy from NTHSA website

Manufacturer: Chrysler (FCA US LLC)

SUMMARY:
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain model year 2013-2015 Ram 1500, 2500, and 3500 trucks manufactured June 20, 2012, to January 26, 2015. In the affected vehicles, the side impact sensor calibrations may be overly sensitive, and as a result, the side air bag inflatable curtains and seat air bags may unexpectedly deploy and the seat belt pre-tensioners may activate.

CONSEQUENCE:
Air bags that unexpectedly deploy increase the risk of a crash or injury.

REMEDY:
Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will update the Occupant Restraint Control module calibration, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin on September 9, 2015. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is R23.

NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

OP
OP
F

flyinfarmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
It checked out

I called another dealer and they confirmed what my dealer was telling me. Made it sound like it might be a fairly lengthy tie-up. My dealer was saying Sept 7th or 9th.

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
May be a good time to try and go ahead and make a deal on that truck then wait for it to be repaired. I don't see why the dealer wouldn't agree to do a deal and wait until then to actually sell it to you.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I'll ask this question to the OP. Is there a real need or reason you are looking at the QC and not the Crew Cab? I drive a QC 1500 company truck for work and it's OK for my needs as I just have a few boxes of literature, jacket, lunch box back there but the space the QC provides is next to useless for any type of people mover for anything longer than to the grocery store. It's not a fun experience for any adults.

I'd highly recommend changing your focus unless you have a dedicated need for a QC. Just my $.02 Pesos. Ymmv.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'll ask this question to the OP. Is there a real need or reason you are looking at the QC and not the Crew Cab? I drive a QC 1500 company truck for work and it's OK for my needs as I just have a few boxes of literature, jacket, lunch box back there but the space the QC provides is next to useless for any type of people mover for anything longer than to the grocery store. It's not a fun experience for any adults.

I'd highly recommend changing your focus unless you have a dedicated need for a QC. Just my $.02 Pesos. Ymmv.

Maybe he doesn't want a 5ft suitcase for a bed. Maybe he is buying it for a truck and not a suv. And before anyone says you can get a cc with a 6ft bed, maybe he doesn't want it that long. Not everybody buys a truck for a family vehicle. My lab rides fine in the back and so do my tools. Imo which don't mean nothing ,the cc with the 5ft bed looks silly. Throw a hard cover on it and it really looks silly. I like to call them a Ford explorer sport track on steroids.LOL:favorites13:

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
RCSB has all I need, but finding one in stock with a ~Bighorn~ package is impossible. (All Expresses or the occasional RT,,, not interested in either) Special ordering one is always an option, but as that combination is a bit 'odd' around here, trade in value is basically the same as an express,,,

QC or CC are a dime a dozen/any color/option you want here, so I'm in a QC now.

(CC !!??!! I'm not quite ready for a 'Suburban with a Sandbox',,, LOL!!! )

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Your quad cab is a truck, but my crew cab is a suv. Christ.

I agree here... I don't see raging on someone choice of truck because you dont like, being sensable everyone's prefrencrs, uses and needs are different. Personally I would prefer a crew over my quad although I have a new born baby and untill fighting with the car seat my quad was perfect... In all honesty I would prefer the mega cab with the 6 1/2 bed I don't care how long it is. That's just my opinion though.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

When it comes to hauling a full size (850 lb) MC in the bed,,, Eh, anything with a 5.6 box ( aka 'sandbox') is an SUV to me! :roflsquared:

My RCSB did it just fine. The QC does it, but barely fits in my garage. A CC 5.6 box simply 'ain't enough truck' for my needs, and anything longer than that would be sittin outside. :roflsquared:

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

When it comes to hauling a full size (850 lb) MC in the bed,,, Eh, anything with a 5.6 box or smaller ( aka 'sandbox') is an SUV to me! :roflsquared:

My RCSB did it just fine. The QC does it, but barely fits in my garage. A CC 5.6 box simply 'ain't enough truck/might as well be a Suburban' for my needs, and anything longer than that would end up sittin out in the street or endlessly circling the parking lot trying to find a place it could fit!

:roflsquared:

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

flyinfarmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA

Coming from an F150 Crew w/ 6 1/2' box. Bought in 2010 when I had kids in 5th, 7th, and 9th grades. You can do the math and come to the conclusion it is a RARE event than even 1 of our kids is along with my wife and I when doing something needing a truck. Simply no real need for a full back seat. And I really would like to keep the 6 1/2' box. Had a crossover tool box in my Ford, so really only had like a 5' box except for long stuff that could stick under the toolbox. Will only buy a RAM if it has RAMBOX, so plan is to skip the crossover box. Could get away with a Quad + 5 1/2' box, but that is not an option. Not real sure I would want that short of a wheelbase anyway. Also, being overall shorter than the Ford will be better in the garage and in parking lots.

And, unlike some folks on this board, I do spend money on something other than my truck :) - I simply want something that performs decent and is reliable (oh, and has a few bells & whistles). Crew cab w/ 5 1/2' box is $2400 premium. Crew w/ 6 1/2' box is a $4200 premium.

Hope the folks in Detroit figure out this airbag deal so I can get going with getting new ride.

Chris

hsousa88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Find it funny how people think the QC rear is tiny. It has as much space as any of todays sedans, people with family's have sedans.. seems to be working. Ill take the bigger bed any day. I don't have kids, but I did fine growing up in in the back of my dad's foxbody. Not worried about it.