Dealer service issue. Advice NEEDED!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you to everyone for their responses and opinions. Im hoping to get some answers tuesday when i drop my truck off. I am dropping it over night. I heard the noise today but was running late for work so didnt have time to grab an audio clip. I am hoping to convince them to give me another ram 1500 v6 to drive while they have my truck so i can compare

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
if you have another dealer close get a second opinon.i have had better luck with smaller dealers on all makes of cars.mostly the same techs have been there longer/less turnover and have more of a one on one relationship.and i've seen a woman come to the cashier with a bill of over 1000.00 for maintainance on a car with only 32000 miles so don't give me the service department won't rip you off crap.

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you have another dealer close get a second opinon.i have had better luck with smaller dealers on all makes of cars.mostly the same techs have been there longer/less turnover and have more of a one on one relationship.and i've seen a woman come to the cashier with a bill of over 1000.00 for maintainance on a car with only 32000 miles so don't give me the service department won't rip you off crap.

I feel you. I am going to give them one more try this week... if they cant figure it out im done with them and will try one more dealer. Its frustrating cause obviously i know somethings not right and they make it seem like you are making it all up.

BeanRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's all about finding the dealer, I won't take my truck back for service where I bought it. I will actually travel 25 minutes further to another dealer but they treat me well and never hesitate to find what's wrong with my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah theyve got this last chance to fix it otherwise im out.

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
UPDATE-

So went to the dealership yesterday to drop off my truck. The guys were once again assholes and completely dismissed everything i had to say about the MPG, tranny and cruise control. His response was "well the computer shows no codes so there cant be anything wrong with it and im sorry you think you should be getting better MPG." Flash forward to today. Guy calls me and says we looked at it and cant find any noise or anything wrong with it. So the guys like when you get here i guess we can start it and take a listen if you want...

Get to the dealer and start it up. BOOM. theres the noise. clear and loud as ever! The guys looks dumb-founded. Goes and gets the tech guy. Start it up for him BOOM same thing loud and clear as day. His response "great that will be fun to find."

So now they still have my truck and i dont know when ill get it back. hes like "we will call you later." Even worse is they put me in this stupid lame ass bright orange Jeep Renegade. When i asked for a 1500 he said they didnt have any and i asked for anything else and he said they were all out of vehicles.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
hopefully they will get this fixed. get ram cares involved.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well... at least they heard the noise and will try and hunt it down. Hopefully, they will find it and get it fixed.

As for getting the Orange Renegade... it could be worse. They could've said, "we don't have any loaners available at this time" and sent you on your way. As for loaners, you basically get what they have available. I dropped my truck off for a warranty issue after 3 months and was given a Chrysler 200 to drive. But, hey... I like Orange, so I'd be happy with your loaner. :D

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
UPDATE-

So went to the dealership yesterday to drop off my truck. The guys were once again assholes and completely dismissed everything i had to say about the MPG, tranny and cruise control. His response was "well the computer shows no codes so there cant be anything wrong with it and im sorry you think you should be getting better MPG." Flash forward to today. Guy calls me and says we looked at it and cant find any noise or anything wrong with it. So the guys like when you get here i guess we can start it and take a listen if you want...

Get to the dealer and start it up. BOOM. theres the noise. clear and loud as ever! The guys looks dumb-founded. Goes and gets the tech guy. Start it up for him BOOM same thing loud and clear as day. His response "great that will be fun to find."

So now they still have my truck and i dont know when ill get it back. hes like "we will call you later." Even worse is they put me in this stupid lame ass bright orange Jeep Renegade. When i asked for a 1500 he said they didnt have any and i asked for anything else and he said they were all out of vehicles.

What issues do you have with mpg and the tranny?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I'd drive a pink Renegade loaner.
My 3 daughters would love it.

Last edited:

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
The only time i had my truck in for serivce I thought they were going to stick me with a Dart, then he gave me the keys to a 2500 lol.

Id be curious to see how the Renegade drives. They are kind of goofy but whatever.

malatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar
I'm just glad to get a loaner. Makes life so much easier. If it's a piece of crap, it just makes me appreciate what I normally drive.

Cup's half full!

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Got a Dodge 200, for a loaner once. Service gal drives it over, bounces out of it and sez here ya go.

looked at her, looked at the car, started laughing my **** off.
She isn't getting it. My Buddy, who runs the place, comes out to BS and he starts laughing his **** off.

He told her to go get me a caravan or pickup, loaner or demo, didn't matter, because I didn't get that low when I was her age and sure as heck couldn't do it now.

While she was gone, he asked me what i was going to do in another 10 years when I was older, my joints bent even less and the vehicles were even smaller.

Sometimes I hate that impish jerk.....

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What issues do you have with mpg and the tranny?

I am only averaging 18-19 mpg highway. Says it should be 23 mpg. I drive 55 miles one way to work 3x a week and dont do much else. No matter how i drive it whether i use cruise control, dont use it, drive 60 mph or drive 80 mph the MPG doesnt change. I am barely getting over the city mpg when i drive all highway.

The tranny issues are the lurking forward when putting into park, and the hesitation/ feels like it doesnt want to shift at all when its cold.

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only time i had my truck in for serivce I thought they were going to stick me with a Dart, then he gave me the keys to a 2500 lol.

Id be curious to see how the Renegade drives. They are kind of goofy but whatever.

It actually drives not too bad. Its quite peppy for whatever hamster motor it has. I feel the seats are super uncomfortable though. ITs got all the features and is 4x4 which is nice though. MPG is decent. ITs just so ugly lol

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Too bad they didn't give you a Grand Cherokee Overland or something. :naughty:

I think most of the Renegades have that 2.4L Tigershark. Its a pretty good motor. It moves the cars they put it in quick. Sister in law has a Chrysler 200 with it. Drives nice for a four banger. Transmission helps though.

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Dealers don't pull that bs. I don't care what people say, the ones who have bad experiences are typically assholes who don't know how to be patient and don't understand that these trucks are complex vehicles that often require some trial and error to really pinpoint an issue and get it fixed.

Dealers have two goals: sell you a car that you want at a price/value that works for you, and make you happy. That is it. There is minimal benefit to a dealership in jerking customers around whether it be with service or with sales. They want to win you as a customer for life... meaning you will come back to buy your next car from them, and you will always do your servicing and maintenance with them.

Give them time to get the issue fixed. Take it back and explain thoroughly what is going on. Offer to demonstrate, take a service tech for a ride, etc. Explain what you think it might possibly be. They are working in your best interest but can only do so much. Some issues take more time than others, but trust me, they aren't just trying to intentionally screw you until the warranty is up.

Source: I work for a dealership group at the corporate level. I know how these stores are managed and what the values are.

I've shopped at a lot of different dealers in my short life, and I can tell you that the dealers whose goal is to make a deal that works for you, and to make sure you are happy are few and far between. I've seen service departments that don't give a rat's ass about your vehicle, and I've had salesmen and saleswomen that blatantly try to rip me off and lie to my face. I've dealt with financing officers who try to rip me off, and lie to my face. I've even dealt with a general manager that acted like an *******. Maybe your dealership is fantastic, but a lot of dealerships out there are crooked and will try to take advantage of you in every way that they can. Upcharging for warranties to make a commission, throwing in things like "window etching" into your deal that you don't even have to pay for, but most people don't understand that... If your dealership isn't doing any of those kinds of things, then that is great, but most of the big box dealers around my parts can and will take you out back behind the woodshed if you let them. You can't be a sheep going into them, you have to be a wolf.

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I am only averaging 18-19 mpg highway. Says it should be 23 mpg. I drive 55 miles one way to work 3x a week and dont do much else. No matter how i drive it whether i use cruise control, dont use it, drive 60 mph or drive 80 mph the MPG doesnt change. I am barely getting over the city mpg when i drive all highway.

The tranny issues are the lurking forward when putting into park, and the hesitation/ feels like it doesnt want to shift at all when its cold.

Is 23mpg what it said on the window sticker? Those are only estimates for mileage, they do not reflect real world numbers. Real world numbers are always lower. If you look for real world numbers for your truck they show around 19mpg. Gas mileage is really a hard thing to nail done what you should get. There are so many factors that can make a change in your fuel mileage. Chances are the mileage your getting is very typical.

Can you explain what you mean by it lurches forward when put into park? Is this after you take your foot off the brake? I can tell that when the 8 speed is cold they hold gears a longer then normal to help heat it up. The 1-2 shift on a cold 8 speed can feel like it's happening very late.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Ethanol gas and winter blend gas also take away from economy. Recommended fuel is also 89 octane, run lower, get lower. They all add up. The 8 speed.... not thats a whole nuther issue.... I too notice some jerking, especially when cold. One thing I really don't like is when I come to a full stop the tranny down shifts and makes the truck feel like it's lurching forward.