Dealership warranty re-work and other fun

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. So I dropped my truck off last night hoping to get the leak in my cab fixed once and for all. My truck has essentially leaked for the entire 55k I've owned it. I'm thankful I've lived in a mostly dry climate; that has definitely made living with the leak a little easier to deal with. It's been to the dealership several times for this issue already. Started with just tightening the original 3rd brake light, then a revised assembly was installed; then on this last rain season it was leaking so bad I had to put some silicon on it just to keep my interior from completely flooding out. so far I've been able to mostly wipe it up before any rust planted roots (I think) but the foam in the carpet is starting to feel a little soft with lots of carpet discoloration.

2. Also my passenger visor plastic surround trim around the vanity mirror popped/cracked apart just for jokes.....lol.....looks like the plastic shrunk and then just pulled apart from itself.

3. Of course I have the infamous cold start tick.

4. Last but not least when I took my truck in for the steering column TSB a couple of things happened. First the service attendant opened my door into the brick wall putting some nice chips on the door edge and then I guess the tech who did the TSB left pry marks on the steering column cover.

Fingers crossed these issues get fixed! I contacted Andrea (RamCares) to help me out; she was very nice to open a case on my behalf (thank you)hopefully all goes well :patriot:

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Faith in a dealership doing the right thing is usually misguided---IMHO
Jay

Ha.....mostly true. I've been fortunate enough to have pretty good dealer service. When they screwed up 2 years ago, I called the service manager and got 4 free oil changes for my effort. So far they haven't left anything loose, or worse, off.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ha.....mostly true. I've been fortunate enough to have pretty good dealer service. When they screwed up 2 years ago, I called the service manager and got 4 free oil changes for my effort. So far they haven't left anything loose, or worse, off.

At the time it happened I did the same thing, called the manager, left a message, no call back. To be fair, I was just finishing up my career in the Navy and had VERY little time to pursue the issue. But now that I'm retired you could say I've got a little more time. plus I can understand people getting busy and forgetting stuff.....I know I've forgotten things from time to time due to a busy life and such!

Last edited:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Cold tick that goes away as engine warms is going to be warranty repair of an exhaust manifold bolt, or warped manifold replacement.

If the tick stays as engine heats, then you need an oil with a good amount of Molybdenum: Mobile One, Pennzoil Ultra Premium, or one of the harder to find oils like Schafer or Royal Purple.

There are a couple of threads you can search for on the forum if you need more info.

Also there is a forum member 'Ram Cares' (I think) that is FCA customer outreach. You can always look them up in the member directory and PM them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cold tick that goes away as engine warms is going to be warranty repair of an exhaust manifold bolt, or warped manifold replacement.

If the tick stays as engine heats, then you need an oil with a good amount of Molybdenum: Mobile One, Pennzoil Ultra Premium, or one of the harder to find oils like Schafer or Royal Purple.

There are a couple of threads you can search for on the forum if you need more info.

Also there is a forum member 'Ram Cares' (I think) that is FCA customer outreach. You can always look them up in the member directory and PM them.

thanks man! I told my case worker that very same thing....well the part about the possibility of it being an exhaust manifold bolt.

Anyone know why these things(bolts) are breaking like that? I'm sure a revised part has been issued?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I may have been a bit harsh about faith in dealerships. There are a few that are excellent, some that are just OK, and then there is the rest. I was lucky to find an excellent dealership with an excellent service department . It never hurts to establish a really good working relationship with the service department and let them know you appreciate the care they give to your truck. Everyone likes to hear kind words every now and then.
Jay

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's what the carpet looks like:

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cracked mirror trim:

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At the time it happened I did the same thing, called the manager, left a message, no call back. To be fair, I was just finishing up my career in the Navy and had VERY little time to pursue the issue. But now that I'm retired you could say I've got a little more time. plus I can understand people getting busy and forgetting stuff.....I know I've forgotten things from time to time due to a busy life and such!

Well, they sure were disrespectful to you and your truck (thanks for your service!). I was treated badly (well my truck was) at a Ford dealership years ago when they scratched my truck and then denied it. Next time I brought a video cam, and walked around the truck. Told the service writer I expected to pick it up in the same condition or "There will be blood", ha ha. Never an issue again. Hope you get yours resolved!

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, they sure were disrespectful to you and your truck (thanks for your service!). I was treated badly (well my truck was) at a Ford dealership years ago when they scratched my truck and then denied it. Next time I brought a video cam, and walked around the truck. Told the service writer I expected to pick it up in the same condition or "There will be blood", ha ha. Never an issue again. Hope you get yours resolved!

Thanks man, it was a great 20yrs! Yeah, I think it was just a clueless service attendant for the door chip part......I mean the doors do swing open pretty wide so I can understand the mistake there.

Being a sort of attention to detail kind of guy, lol, those door chips bug the crud out of me!

The pry mark is completely unneeded IMO, and yes it's just plastic but the prices of these plastic bits aren't "just plastic" cheap!

Coenen93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Dart
Engine
2.0L
thanks man! I told my case worker that very same thing....well the part about the possibility of it being an exhaust manifold bolt.

Anyone know why these things(bolts) are breaking like that? I'm sure a revised part has been issued?

The bolts are more then likely breaking due to the extra weight of the cats hanging directly off the manifold. The new bolts are revised as far as I can tell as we haven't had anyone come back in for cold exhaust ticks after we've replaced them at the dealership i work for.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The bolts are more then likely breaking due to the extra weight of the cats hanging directly off the manifold. The new bolts are revised as far as I can tell as we haven't had anyone come back in for cold exhaust ticks after we've replaced them at the dealership i work for.

Thanks for that info and great to hear! Have you seen any cases of the rear window leaking in addition to the 3rd brake light?

Coenen93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Dart
Engine
2.0L
Thanks for that info and great to hear! Have you seen any cases of the rear window leaking in addition to the 3rd brake light?
I believe we had one and it was an issue with the molding/seal for the rear slider. If I remember correctly.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you are still getting wet floors after a good rain check the cab vent between the bed and cab. That's we're my leak came from. Went to the dealership three times before they found the leak. Leak free ever since.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk