Debating to buy a gen 4th ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iksivash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi everyone I am new to this forum and I would like to ask you guys that know more then me about the 4th gen.
I am looking to buy a gen 4th RAM 1500 the problem my budget can only afford me one that has at least 185,000 k"m, now I never had a truck before, I had a 1999 Jeep Cherokee with 320,000 k"m and it was just the best vehicle in the world. My concern is what is too many k''m for a RAM 1500 because I want it for hunting and fishing and off road and to carry dirt bikes plus a daily driver, I am thinking about the 5.7L HEMI.
Thanks to anyone for help.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately there will be some unknowns with purchasing a truck with that many miles.

I would suggest you look at CarFax reports and see if you can find one with 1 or 2 owners at max. Check services records. Get the truck looked at to before hand.

With the new ones, there are some amazing rebates. Not sure what your budget allows for, but also look into leasing with the option to buy at the end. That way you are buying the truck for the residual value.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel you - I was originally looking for something I could buy outright, but couldn't find anything I was happy with. I really wanted the 4th gen for the ride quality and looks.

Finally found an 09 1500 CC Hemi with 118k (about the same as yours). Not ideal, but I got a good deal and it has a lot of options. The Carfax showed 4 owners and no accidents and most of the maintenance done by the local dealers.

In the end, it's your call. Both the truck and the deal felt good, so here I am, the owner of my 09 Big Yellow. But there's always a risk buying any used vehicle. You can get a better deal buying from a private seller, but have more recourse buying from a reputable dealer. I was back and forth at the dealer several times, mostly for minor issues (wheel balance, headlight out) and they took care of everything. And it wasn't even a Dodge Dealership.

OP
OP
I

iksivash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you guys that is very helpful, is there any RAM specific maintenance you need to do as you get to higher millage? maybe a timing belt or transmission rebuilt or something big like that. Also I am not a big fan of the 3rd gen cause of interior looks, reminds me of my mom's caliber LOL, but I can find a 2007-2008 RAM with less millage than the 4th gen for my budget, is it worth buying the 3rd gen?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi,

Well, I also own a Grand Cherokee ('03 Overland) with 200,000 trouble-free miles on it (my previous ZJ Jeep has about 310k on it and still runs great!!), and recently bought a 2012 1500 with 150k Mi on the clock. The Jeep is my wife's. Miles don't bother me so long as the vehicle in question seems to have been well cared for (of course yer always assuming risk though) and personally I've never really been burned on a high-mile rig. Sure some small things come up from time to time, but nothing major. Originally I was looking for a lightly used newer GMC/Chev 4x4 Reg cab Short box because that's what I was coming from. It's enough truck for what I do. But that configuration is almost impossible to find these days because the trend is extended cab trucks. And when you DO find one they're usually either plain jane, 2wd, over-priced, or sold right away. I went to a larger used car dealer we have ...which has tons of pretty new trucks of all makes, because it was a good place to drive a lot of different trucks in a short time and they're not really high pressure either. I spent a solid afternoon looking over, nit-picking and test driving trucks of various makes. The sales guy would just give me the key and let me do whatever. Nice!

What I discovered was I didn't care for how the latest gen of GM trucks were laid out, visibility over the tall, flat hood is abysmal compared to the previous generation, and several interior things didn't warm up to me. I was disappointed actually. Plus, I see a lot of fairly new GM trucks around here with rust bubbling through the box wheel wells that you wouldn't think would be rusting already. Also, didn't care for the Fords or the extended cab trucks in general, and the Colorado-type trucks were cramped and didn't offer enough cargo room for like drywall or plywood. 4-door trucks have a lot of wasted space if it's just yourself, but make sense I guess if you haul people a lot. I think 4dr trucks look awkward anyway.

Although I didn't want to drive it, there was a lowly Reg cab Ram 1500 Reg cab 8' box that came in on trade the day before sitting at the back of the dealer parking area that hadn't been 'Prepped' yet for resale or auction. I resisted but at the end of the afternoon, I decided I probably should drive it so I could say I drove all the types of trucks and could fully compare them. It was a 2012 Reg Cab Ram 1500 4x4 (ST which is a Tradesman) with the 5.7 Hemi, towing package and some other upgrades that I eventually bought. The box is 8' which is longer than I wanted, but the plusses outweighed the negatives on this one.

What sold me on the Ram were:
1) liked how the interior was laid out and seating position was better than the GM ...IMO
2) Price (I got a great deal, 10k). It's a basic tk but that's kind of what I was looking for
3) Small but meaningful design touches like rear wheel inner finder liners (to help prevent rust); Frame is super-robust; cab corners and rockers look like they'd be easy to rust-proof; very quiet ride; Even at 150k, the doors didn't have ANY looseness or play in them!; Kick butt sound system (but not all the gimmicks of a touch screen system or GPS that become old-school right away); Bench seat (buckets/console make no sense in a tk to me); Bed is a touch wider at the wheel wells than my previous truck; Appears easy to service; Painted aluminum wheels (chromed wheels flake apart pretty quick around here due to the salt!) ...Just a whole bunch of small things that seemed well thought out.
4) At 150k Mi, it drove and steered as tight as some of the other vehicles I had driven that day which were in the 80k range.
5) The 5.7 Hemi truly smokes and will come in handy for occasional towing, plus with the 6 speed tranny wouldn't be as much hunting as the 8 spd,
6) Visibility over the hood was better than the others I drove (but still nowhere as good as the 88-98 GMs)
7) At 150k there isn't ONE SINGLE rattle, squeak, vibration or hum
8) It's dead-quiet in the cab while driving.
9) Stowage - The Ram regular cab has an 8" wide plastic tray behind the seat that goes across the entire back of the cab to stow things, but there's a good 12" of room between the seat and the cab ....and hooks on the back of the cab for plastic trays if you want to put small things in the trays half way up the cab (a nice touch!). So there's a lot more room back there than you'd think (lot more than my older GM). So the extra room in the Ram basically negates the need an extended cab (at least for me). It was a huge selling point, because it's enough room to put tools and whatever I'm working on at the moment.
10) Bed cover - This truck came with the Ram vinyl bed cover which I really like.
11) After 5 years of WI winters, there's surprisingly little to no surface rust on the Ram frame and none at all on the body of the Ram truck. Other GM's and some Fords I looked at that day at the dealership which were even newer had far more surface rust starting which was quite alarming to me!! A couple GMs 3 years old had quite a bit of rust around the rear frame and beneath the box (under the truck). I plan to keep this tk for several years and THAT amount of rust didn't bode well for keeping a GM tk looking great down the road.
12) Style - I liked the style of the Ram when compared to the tall nose of the GMs and their really squared-off wheel well look (to be truthful, I wasn't going to buy a Ford under any circumstance due to past experiences). The Ram overall just looks better IMO. I personally like the profile of the front end being lower ...almost like a 2wd, although I know a lot of guys here prefer a taller front end, which I can sympathize with too.

Anyway, you add it all up and, while not fancy by any means, the Ram ticked the right boxes for me. In the last month of ownership it's been great. Love it a lot. Nice thing is I paid cash for the whole thing and don't need to carry Collision which saves $400 a year right there. In the rural area I live I'm more likely to hit a deer (covered by Comprehensive).

I've re-done the front brakes/rotors and I really like how Dodge has machined a ridge 'around' the circumference of the hub that a lot of vehicles don't have, which helps ensure true rotor run-out, and dual piston calipers. Front driveshaft is super tight still, Oil change is convenient and easy access to the filter (lot better than the 4.7 Hemi Jeep). As for other maintenance, it's pretty much like normal ...like ATF +4 for the tranny (which is synthetic), and the same Chrysler lube for the rest of the driveline. No greasable joints I saw. Only thing that's different is there are 2x plugs per cylinder and they suggest changing them every 30k mi on 2013 and earlier years. Ya have to pull off the valve covers it looks like to do it, which shouldn't be that hard. The timing is via a chain, so don't have to change that. They seem to be an engine where most of the weak points have been engineered out by the middle of the 4th gen. Tranny on the 5.7 is probably going to be a 6-spd and from my reading around they seem pretty robust. I'm surprised the wire harness is only partially taped (strange). Lot of room under the hood. The upper A-Arms are stamped steel and kind of curled back at the legs of the "A" to form a round 'bar' shape, almost like a stamped A-arm. A lot of trucks use cast aluminum (and maybe Dodge does on their higher spec trucks), but I would have thought they'd at least 'weld' the seam where the stamped sections of metal on the A-arms meet but I assume they hold up fine. I bet they'd be a lot stronger if they were at least tack welded in a couple places. My truck has a 'Towing on/off' feature and also switches on the gear selector to select a gear limit (max), which is nice, or an Eco mode. There's also traction control too which is somewhat like a poor-man's locking diff you might say. I haven't used the 4x4 other than test driving to know how well it works yet, but on mine there isn't a 'full-time' like there is on a Jeep, so it might be somewhat old-school in that regard which is fine for me. But from what I read around here (and I don't know this for certain) the 4x4 is kind of always 'on'?? Maybe someone can comment on this. Getting the oil fill cap off is way easier than the Jeep 4.7 I've described!

I don't know what you're looking for in a truck, but there are Tradesman trucks out there which is a basic truck and they're fairly cheap. If you can get one cheap enough, you can buy a chrome grille and maybe you'd want to buy a new seat bottom ($400) because it'll probably need it like mine. Of course you can go up from there in terms of options and so on ...the sky's the limit. If you get a 5.7 Hemi, nobody is going to leave you in the dust I can assure you that. I agree with you though, the '99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokees were/are an amazing vehicle, but from what I've seen, these Rams seem to have a lot of longevity designed into them as well.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh, btw, I averaged 17.1 MPG on my last tankful, using the Eco mode ...and I'm not goosing it at all. I was hoping it would be higher, but there's a bunch of short trips there. My older GM with the 350 was averaging 16.5 mpg, but then the Ram is a larger, heavier truck too.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Earn more, save more, get one with less miles.....

I would add that if you (original poster) don't have good mechanical skills or limited time/money/tools, it probably IS better to get something newer and/or lower miles. I can deal with just about anything that comes my way on these, but as one gets higher in mileage, the risk of problems and costs is going to increase.

OP
OP
I

iksivash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you Jeepwalker, I read your messages and it's really helpful, I do work on my own vehicles except when you need a hoist no matter what. I think I will take your advice and look more at the shape and vibrations in the truck then the millage per-say. I do need the crew cab cause I am gonna be the only one with a truck and I like camping with friends and family. I do like the aggressive look for the RAM over the looks of the GM or Ford, I never had a V8 vefore and honestly don't really know if the HEMI will be better over the V8 4.7L. One more thing that bothers me is that I live in a reguler suburban house with a regular double door garage and I don't know if I could lift the truck to change stuff like suspension and breaks and whatever that needs a lift.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Just a side note but in 2013+ the 4th gen went through some additional changes that make them worth a look vs the 09-12 trucks IMO if one may be in your budget.

New 13+ features on a 1500 5.7L include:
- Coil vs leaf rear suspension (better ride)
- 8 speed transmission (better overall fuel economy. Yes, with the v8).

- Upgraded electronics (& additional features you can add on later if you like).

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

OP
OP
I

iksivash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mpgrimm2 thank you for the info again I never had a truck so I am not that updated and savy on them, I think I will wait and save till next summer and buy as you said a 2013+

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You never had a V8 before?!

No, you don't 'need' the 5.7 unless you plan on towing or hauling heavy loads. The 4.7 would work fine. On the 5.7 ...maybe the 4.7 V8's, they have cylinder deactivation technology so as you get up to speed the software drops out cylinders to essentially run on 6 cylinders and then 4 cyl too. It's pretty seamless, can hardly feel it. That feature can be turned off too for like towing or going up mountain roads with a heavy load, things like that.

The best thing to do is keep your eyes open for trucks in your area as they come up for sale. That way you get a pretty good idea what the market is.

Now, another thing to consider might be something the size of a Chevy Colorado ....a little bit smaller. Something like that would be less expensive, get a little better fuel economy and easier to manage/drive and put in your garage. At least something to look at. I test drove one, but for the hauling I do and occasional towing of a skid loader, it wouldn't work. But they're kind of fun.

Last edited:

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a side note but in 2013+ the 4th gen went through some additional changes that make them worth a look vs the 09-12 trucks IMO if one may be in your budget.

New 13+ features on a 1500 5.7L include:
- Coil vs leaf rear suspension (better ride)
- 8 speed transmission (better overall fuel economy. Yes, with the v8).

- Upgraded electronics (& additional features you can add on later if you like).

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

maybe I'm wrong (or possibly incorrect), but don't all the 4th gen 1500s have coil springs?

Upgraded electronics are always all they're cracked up to be.

Earn more save more? Well, that's helpful - maybe. Don't know his situation, but I was without a 2nd vehicle for about a year saving for my truck. Yes, I would have preferred to get something newer, but the only things I could find (that I could afford) were stripped down work trucks. Not that that would bother me, but I also have a wife to consider. She's partially disabled, and seat comfort is a BIG issue. If I wanted a truck instead of an SUV/CUV, then it would have to work for her also. I was also under some pressure to get something soon as her vehicle (07 Ford Edge) needs some work and is due for a recall as well. Got to have something to get her to her appointments and such in the meantime.

What I'm saying is waiting for a newer truck is all well and good, but it depends on your circumstances. Also remember that the longer you wait, the older those "newer" trucks get.

Last edited:

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
No regrets on my 4th gen but I bought it new with the V6, 8-spd, 4x2 Tradesman regular cab short bed.

I buy relatively base model vehicles so I got the Tradesman. I live in my vehicle for work and it really doesn't feel like a base model. Solid all around so far (35,000 miles). I hope to put upward of 300,000 miles on it over the next 15-years. Crossing my fingers that it makes it that long.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2012 has coils.

Kev - Sounds like a nice tk! What are you getting for gas mileage?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye