Deciding between new 1500 and 2500....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright, this may be a fairly easy subject for all my fellow Moparians here to answer but I may be getting a new pickup here in the near future and I’m kicking around ideas between a half-ton and a 3/4-ton.

So.... the big question...

Do I need a 3/4-ton? Not really, my current 2008 Ram 1500 has been excellent. I don’t tow that much. I mean, I’ve pulled a trailer here and there, nothing real big, though. Well, earlier in the summer I did pull a typical, tandem-axle flatbed trailer loaded pretty heavy with cinder blocks from one place to another to a less-than-two-miles-away location when I was helping my cousin and his wife move their mobile home but other than that, I don’t tow often. Hardly at all so I’m sure as you all are reading this, you’re probably thinking to yourselves, “Just get a 1500!”....LOL.

And you may be right and I may just do that, I dunno, but, do we always get what we want based on our needs?...LOL.

I’m thinking half-ton because primarily of that. It seems to be really that that’s all I really need... well, really don’t even need that but, a truck is what I like. Only had one car so far in my lifetime, a 2005 Dodge Stratus R/T and loved the hell out of it but before I moved to Oklahoma, I needed a truck at that time to pull my big U-haul trailer loaded with all my crap... so yeah, if there was ever a time where I really needed a truck, that woulda been it. Lol. But then again, I like trucks...lol.

Anywho, moving on, I guess the only real reason I’m even considering a 2500 is just because it’s bigger, little taller and I kind of like the look of front-ends on the 2500’s over the 1500’s. That bigger plastic piece between the headlights/grille and bumper are kinda messing with me...lol. But, if the 1500 turned out to be the better choice, I could learn to live with it but anyway, back on track, I’m very interested in that big, 6.4L Hemi...[emoji41] That, and aren’t the 3/4 and 1-tons still offered with the solid front axle?

Oh and, since it’s not cheap deleting all that EPA crap, I’m not even remotely considering the diesel which sucks because for the longest time, I always wanted one but that was before the days of DEF and particulate filters... and yes, I certainly don’t need a diesel, but all that treehugger **** is kind of a dealbreaker on that. lol. Have to draw the line somewhere.

Other than that, I assume the ride quality will be better on the 1500. Especially since the the other day when I was pricing one out on ramtrucks.com, I saw that they offer that front and rear air ride. How is that by the way?

Anyways, I would love to hear any and all input. I’m just exploring my options/possibilities. Lol.

Oh yeah, one other thing- I realize as of now that the Megacab isn’t offered anymore with the 1500 so, that’s not one of the deciding factors. I like that Megacab but to me it’s just too big of a cab. I still have to park this beast in a parking lot so if it’s still true that the Mega is already on the long-bed chassis then unfortunately the Mega is out...lol.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a tough call brotha. To me reading your post it SOUNDS like you have a lot of want in that 2500 vs the 1500 so with that said I would say get the 3/4. I LOVE my 1500, absolutely love it to death lol but my next truck will be a 3/4. Either way good luck man!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've owned both so offering my opinion here.

Pro's of the HD:
-Sit much higher than the 1/2 ton.
-You don't see nearly as many HD's on the road, especially in the upper trim levels
-As mentioned, you can get the 6.4
-Solid front axle
-Tows much better
-Hauls much better, almost never squats with load in the bed
-Much better brakes
-Better resale
-Built like a tank underneath

Cons of the HD:
-6 speed trans with diesel ratios
-Fuel economy
-More expensive
-Somewhat rougher ride
-Less aftermarket performance parts support if that matters
-Did I mention the 6 speed trans?
-Harder for people to climb in and out, or load the bed
-Slower, even with the 6.4. 7000+ lbs in most trim levels.

Based upon what you stated, I suspect you would love the Power Wagon. Assuming you didn't mind the poor fuel economy and purchase price.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This will probably be the last 1/2 I ever own....the HD is the sweet spot.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The MegaCab is on a standard chassis, same as the crew cabs, just with a shorter bed. They never made a long box MegaCab but you can get one made up for ya. I loved the cab in my 2007 MegaCab and it was easy to drive, even in the empty end of large parking lots. ;)

For me, the DPF system on my 2017 with EGR, EGR cooler, throttle valve, yadda yadda yadda was a problematic system that came off 2 months after I purchased the truck new from ****'s out in Hillsboro. It ain't cheap to do, given that you also need to unlock the PCM on the new trucks and program them for the delete but it runs a LOT better and I even get better mileage.

But then again, a 2500 diesel may be overkill for you.

Have you considered a 2500 with the 6.4L HEMI?

Here's my 2014 6.4L HEMI truck:

052516%2001_zpssq4mzfgz.jpg

And the 2017 6.7L CTD:

20170705_090402_zpso0xr10yg.jpg

My point here is that you don't need a diesel to have an HD.

Last edited:

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 2500 is a beast, my father has one. Only cons are that it rides a little rougher than the 1500 and can be a little large to park at times. I was going to get the 2500 but it wouldn't fit in my garage and since the sun bakes the hell out of it that was a deal breaker.

I personally think the Mega Cabs are awesome, nothing like a little extra room for long trips or extra storage to fragile for the bed.

The HEMI 6.4 would be the best especially since you don't need the extra towing capacity, but that Cummings will last forever!

Also, I know rowing is not the main concern for you but with the new 8 Speed Trans the rowing capacity on the 1500 has gone up.

Overall I think you should get what makes you happy, the 2500 will be an amazing truck as long as the ride quality is not your main concern (not bad) it is a tank for sure!

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've owned various 1500 and 2500s (F-150, Chevy 2500, current Ram 1500) - I enjoy the comfort and convenience of my 1500 - almost carlike in the daily grind, but perfectly capable for what I use it for - towing 4000 pounds once a month, random stuff in the bed, but mostly cruising around town.

I read your post again...

GET THE 2500. It is what you want.

kiloRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I ordered a 2500 w/ 6.4 earlier this year for the following reasons:
1. I thought the 2500 looks more aggressive than the 1500. After I ordered my 2500, I joined these forums and was really impressed with the mods that people have done with their 1500's, so my opinion on aggressive look is now a toss up.
2. I wanted the most engine I could get without going diesel. The 6.4 was not offered in the 1500. The engine is awesome, but this truck is heavy, and the gasoline 2500 6-speed transmission is meh...
3. 2500 sit taller when stock. Plenty of aftermarket lifts.

Thoughts after driving my truck for 6 months:
1. My 2500 truck is fast, but the 1500's are quite a bit faster. My 2500 has decent acceleration from a stop, but really starts to pull when in 3rd or 4th gear. Highway passing is pretty impressive IMO.
2. Wish I had the dual exhaust the 1500's have.
3. Gas mileage - I average 12.4 MPG. Best I ever got on a highway trip was just under 15 MPG. 1500's I understand are quite a bit better.
4. I now have the urge to buy something big and heavy to tow around (like a travel trailer) just because I can.
5. 2500 suspension is stiff. Initially, we called my truck the 'kidney buster', but I kinda called it the 'ball buster'. I live on a rough road. Comparing, my old 1500 rides like an old Cadillac land boat.

Only thing I'm not totally satisfied with is the gearing in the transmission and the shift points. In my opinion, there is too much overlap between some of the gears. Could go with a higher 1st and 2nd gears, and add some separation between 5th and 6th. Hopefully, the 1500 8-speed has a little better gearing spread.

Overall, I love my 2500. Bottom line, a 2500 can do anything a 1500 can do, but more; and I know you'll love whichever one you choose.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm....lol.

Just really be making my decision making process even harder!!!...

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've owned both so offering my opinion here.

Pro's of the HD:

-Sit much higher than the 1/2 ton.

-You don't see nearly as many HD's on the road, especially in the upper trim levels

-As mentioned, you can get the 6.4

-Solid front axle

-Tows much better

-Hauls much better, almost never squats with load in the bed

-Much better brakes

-Better resale

-Built like a tank underneath

Cons of the HD:

-6 speed trans with diesel ratios

-Fuel economy

-More expensive

-Somewhat rougher ride

-Less aftermarket performance parts support if that matters

-Did I mention the 6 speed trans?

-Harder for people to climb in and out, or load the bed

-Slower, even with the 6.4. 7000+ lbs in most trim levels.
See, that’s kind of what I was kind of afraid of. I like the idea of that 8-speed trans. Although fuel economy really isn’t that much of an issue, Im not sure how I would think I would be interested in less than what I have, especially if the 6.4 will still be a little bit slower than a halfton with the 5-7.

Based upon what you stated, I suspect you would love the Power Wagon. Assuming you didn't mind the poor fuel economy and purchase price.

O god the newer power wagons is a wet dream in its own lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Oh I would love a Power Wagon. Especially now that they have it finally with the Cummins! I know, sounds weird for me to say that considering that the Cummins isn’t an option. Lol. I was just saying that it’s cool that they finally figured out how to get the big diesel in the PW....

Btw, what changed on that? From what I heard, the reason why the Cummins was never available in the Power Wagon was because the trademark winch had to be located in the same area that the intercooler needed for the diesel.

But yes, it would make an excellent apocalypse truck...lol.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me, the DPF system on my 2017 with EGR, EGR cooler, throttle valve, yadda yadda yadda was a problematic system that came off 2 months after I purchased the truck new from ****'s out in Hillsboro. It ain't cheap to do, given that you also need to unlock the PCM on the new trucks and program them for the delete but it runs a LOT better and I even get better mileage.
I know it’s not cheap. My boss has a 2015 2500 that he had all that crap deleted and it set him back a pretty penny. But it was worth it. That truck’s a beast now.

But then again, a 2500 diesel may be overkill for you.
Oh yeah, even a 2500 within itself is overkill. Lol. Probably even the whole idea of a truck just on that note is overkill...lol. But see, I’m kind of one of those people that on certain things goes on the basis of, it’s better to have it and not need it rather than all of the sudden needing it and not having it....lol.

Have you considered a 2500 with the 6.4L HEMI?
Oh yeah, that’s what my primary interest is in the big 3/4-ton is that 392...[emoji41]

Here's my 2014 6.4L HEMI truck:

052516%2001_zpssq4mzfgz.jpg

And the 2017 6.7L CTD:

20170705_090402_zpso0xr10yg.jpg

My point here is that you don't need a diesel to have an HD.

Good looking truck btw...lol. I do like that black but I absolutely hate how tough it is to keep clean. Lol.

Oh I know I don’t need the diesel to have a heavy-duty truck. Matter of fact, if it wasn’t for the 6-4 392, I probably wouldn’t even be considering a 2500.

Last edited:

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Oh I would love a Power Wagon. Especially now that they have it finally with the Cummins! I know, sounds weird for me to say that considering that the Cummins isn’t an option. Lol. I was just saying that it’s cool that they finally figured out how to get the big diesel in the PW....

Btw, what changed on that? From what I heard, the reason why the Cummins was never available in the Power Wagon was because the trademark winch had to be located in the same area that the intercooler needed for the diesel.

I don't know where you heard the diesel is now available in a Power Wagon but I've never read that through a reliable source. They also don't list a diesel option on the ramtrucks.com configurator. I've heard two reasons why it's not available. Once is the winch as you mentioned. The other is additional weight on the nose of the truck which would compromise its off-road capabilities.

If you do buy an HD with a 6.4 definitely opt for the 4.10 gears. You can buy headers and a tune which will up the performance considerably, but this would also likely affect your warranty. Swapping the gears for 4.56 or similar is also a popular upgrade.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Drive them both and decide after that. I've had a 2011 3500 diesel and same year Gas 1500. And the 1500 is definitely a smoother ride when empty. When my slip tank was full in the 3500 it rode pretty good though. Cost per mile excluding fuel was about the same percentage more as the cost of the truck as parts wore out faster on the heavier truck and tires wore sooner etc. I have a 2017 1500 with the air suspension now and it is a really smooth ride and it auto adjusts to load so it always has the same stance. Even auto levels when I sit on the tailgate. Not sure what the long term reliability of it wil be yet so I maxed the warranty. I sold my 5th wheel and don't Need to haul fuel any more so I went for lower cost smoother ride.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know where you heard the diesel is now available in a Power Wagon but I've never read that through a reliable source. They also don't list a diesel option on the ramtrucks.com configurator. I've heard two reasons why it's not available. Once is the winch as you mentioned. The other is additional weight on the nose of the truck which would compromise its off-road capabilities.

If you do buy an HD with a 6.4 definitely opt for the 4.10 gears. You can buy headers and a tune which will up the performance considerably, but this would also likely affect your warranty. Swapping the gears for 4.56 or similar is also a popular upgrade.

Thanks for clearing that up, I could’ve swore the other night when I had the Ram builder up for the Power Wagon when I saw the CTD as an available upgrade but apparently I was mistaken. I even checked he option for a 2018 model and sure enough, no Cummins. Lol.

I’ve never ever heard of an official reason myself from Chrysler as to why the CTD isn’t an available power upgrade for the Power Wagon except for what I’ve heard other people say which, the intercooler/winch battle for the same real estate behind the bumper and the this, in my opinion, supposed hindered off-road performance from the increased weight. I dunno, I don’t think it would hinder its off-road abilities but that’s just me. In my opinion, I think the winch is pretty much the only reason that would make sense. That’s kind of a trademark thing when Chrysler brought back the Power Wagon. That, and the sway-bar unhooks, the front and rear lockers and bigger, off-road tires. Those items are what makes up the Power Wagon and maybe Chrysler thinks that none of them shouldn’t be substituted for the Diesel engine.

I don’t think I’ll be doing anything that will jeopardizing the warranty..lol. I’m too afraid to do that but why opt for such short gears? I could see that if I did a lot of towing or if I planned to put bigger tires and maybe a lift on but, I don’t plan to do that. Or well, not as of now, anyways. Lol. However that could change, tho.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Drive them both and decide after that. I've had a 2011 3500 diesel and same year Gas 1500. And the 1500 is definitely a smoother ride when empty. When my slip tank was full in the 3500 it rode pretty good though. Cost per mile excluding fuel was about the same percentage more as the cost of the truck as parts wore out faster on the heavier truck and tires wore sooner etc. I have a 2017 1500 with the air suspension now and it is a really smooth ride and it auto adjusts to load so it always has the same stance. Even auto levels when I sit on the tailgate. Not sure what the long term reliability of it wil be yet so I maxed the warranty. I sold my 5th wheel and don't Need to haul fuel any more so I went for lower cost smoother ride.

I dunno, tonight I’m kinda leaning more towards the halfton as I think it would most likely be better suited for my needs. I’m really wanting the smoother ride for one and the slightly better fuel economy.

So how much extra did that cost you to max out the warranty? How much were you able to max it out to? From what I saw as a standard was a 3 year, 30-some odd thousand mile warranty on everything and like a 60, thousand, 6 years or so on the power train. But iz

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I maxed out my warranty to the lifetime! Got it from clay who was recommended on this website. It's non transferable. The lifetime warranty through Chrysler Mopar covers slot of the components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm the opposite.

The ONLY reason I have a Ram is because I needed more interior room. I had a Nissan Frontier king cab, and it was perfect for me. The shorter height made loading and unloading the bed a breeze. Oddly enough, it had more ground clearance than my new Ram.

When shopping, the Nissan Frontier Crew cab was barely bigger than the king cab. The back seats were cramped and uncomfortable. Also, Nissan wouldn't budge on the price, even after I showed them the sale/deal Ram had going on (25 percent off).

I ended up getting a 2017 SLT crew cab for the BEST price Nissan could do on the Frontier crew cab.

Do I miss the smaller truck? Yes. Every single day. Do I need a full size? No. My Ram can only hold 200lbs more of payload, and tow about 3000lbs more. I've never needed to tow anything, so the tow rating doesn't matter to me.

I work in construction and have 2 primary needs: a vehicle that won't get stuck on construction sites, and a vehicle that can carry ladders and 5 gallon pails of paint. It's either a truck or a van, for me. But that Nissan Frontier was more than enough "truck" for me, it just wasn't enough "car".... Know what I mean? Getting married changed the needs due to pets and small children....

My advice is drive the truck you want, as long as it does everything you need it do. If I was in my dream truck, it would still be that little Frontier.

Last edited: