Deciding between new 1500 and 2500....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I love my 17 2500. It's my favorite of all the trucks I've ever owned. I've owned several half tons and one other 3/4, a 1997 ram 2500 (loved it too)

For me, personally, as long asi can manage it (it sits up which i love, but is a climb to get into even with step bars) I'll always have a 2500 or 3500 series truck. It's just so much more truck than a half ton. Mines just a tradesmen and i don't want or need all that fancy stuff, so that helps keep the cost down.

Everything on the 2500 is massive underneath, frame, steering and suspension components, axles, etc. The half tons use rack and pinion steering and a arms you'd find on passenger cars back in the 70s (size wise, ie light duty)

There's nothing wrong with a half ton, i like all trucks, but for me personally, i think my next truck will likely be a 3500 series. Absolutely do your research and buy what you like best and works best for you. That's what is most important.

good luck in your decision.

Last edited:

jarzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I own a 1500...and wish I purchased a 2500 for all the same reasons you mentioned above.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I appreciate all y’all’s replies tho. Really giving me things to think about. That’s why I’ll probably have one special ordered. Other than never ever have been able to do that, I kinda like the idea of having one custom made to my liking. Not sure how much more cost that will add to it but, I think it’ll be alright..lol.

But just outta curiosity, are there any real noticeable differences between the 2017’s and 18’s other than cost? This is for both the 2500’s and the 1500’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I just traded a loaded Laramie 6.4L for a loaded Laramie 1/2 ton. Strictly because of a job change. I see my 2500 every time I go to Houston and I miss it mentally. My kidneys and back don't miss it. That being said I live in LA and our roads sucks. The off the line factor in 1500 with the 8speed is night and day difference from the 2500. I am noticing tires wore more evenly on the 2500. I thinks that is because the solid front axle doesn't let the tires get in weird angles. I leveled the 1500 and put 34" tires and it still rides good. The resale value on the 6.4L was not that good. I ended up courtesy trading it to a friend for a lesser loss than the trade in value the dealers were giving me.

Salsa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I traded a 2500 Laramie SLT 8.0 on Aug 31st to get my 17 1500 Hemi Express and don't regret it one bit. It is so much smoother and doesn't beat the hell out of my bad back like the 2500. 2500 QC long box was 20' 4" and my 1500 QC with 6' 4" box is easier to get into tight spaces. A BIG plus is, my soon to be 87 yr old mother can get into it so I can take her to Dr. appointments if need be. I can't haul as much firewood but I don't care. I have 2 things that I tow, a 20' pontoon boat and a 6X12 motorcycle trailer which is behind my 25' diesel motorhome most of the time. And probably most important, I got the seal of approval form my wife for a new truck during the test ride and the 244 mile ride home.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is the 6.4L\3.73 gears.

Get about 12mpg city, 12mpg towing and around 19 mpg highway, unloaded. .
That’s about what I get now in my 2008 4x4 Halfton Hemi...lol. Well, aside from the 19 mpg’s out on the highway part. I could probably hit 17 on a good day but I have a lead foot and a 650 dollar radar detector...[emoji41]

I'm sure the half ton trucks with the 3.92s are quick, but believe me, the big 6.4 has a lot of juice.

Oh I don’t doubt it one bit but like someone said quite a bit earlier in the discussion, that 3/4-ton is a 7000+ pound beast. That’s a lot of truck compared to the half-ton.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just get a 1500 and be done with it. You don't need a 2500, you want it. I love driving my 2500 but I'd take my old 1500 back in a heartbeat. The mileage is dropped from 16 to 12 from a 1500 to a 2500. The 8 speed is an amazing invention, it makes the 1500 a rocketship. To answer you question above, you gain nothing by going with the 3.73 gears over the 4.10's. The mileage is within a general margin of error so you gain nothing that way, and that is the only reason people generally go with 3.73 gears.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just get a 1500 and be done with it. You don't need a 2500, you want it. I love driving my 2500 but I'd take my old 1500 back in a heartbeat. The mileage is dropped from 16 to 12 from a 1500 to a 2500. The 8 speed is an amazing invention, it makes the 1500 a rocketship. To answer you question above, you gain nothing by going with the 3.73 gears over the 4.10's. The mileage is within a general margin of error so you gain nothing that way, and that is the only reason people generally go with 3.73 gears.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I most likely will. I know I’m kinda starting to sound like a broken record a little and I apologize for that but just understand I’m just trying to put as much thought into this with y’all’s help as i can while I have the time. I like the idea of a 3/4-ton but for what very, very little that I tow, which isn’t much, I’d rather have the smoother ride and little bit better fuel mileage. The 2500 is just something that I don’t need. That, and the fact that the EPA really screwed with my interest in a diesel just makes that even more so.

I dunno, I may surprise y’all when that day finally gets here but I think for now the 1500 is the choice since this will be a traveling truck and a daily driver on good ole, rough-assed Oklahoma roads...lol. A good riding SUV with style, if you will, with a bed covered with a good tonneau cover to keep things out of the weather and secured...[emoji41]

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
If your not hauling or towing real heavy there is no reason to get the 2500 truck unless thats just what you "want" because you dont need it.
The 2500 sets taller and has alittle different look to the front of it but thats it when you look at them. If ypu were hauling alot or towing alot it would be a simple choice.

The 6.4 only makes 15hp and 29lbs over the 5.7 in the 1500 so its going to be slower and get worse gas mileage because of the extra weight and the outdated 6sp transmission.

I bought the 1500 over the 2500 for a few reasons.

1. I dont haul or tow all the time, its my DD.
2. I wanted a QC and not a CC.
3. I will not have that 6sp transmission again, I cant believe they still use this transmission.
4. I love the 8sp transmission, its awesome.
5. I wanted a quick and nimble truck, not a big cumbersome truck.
6. I wanted something that got better fuel mileage, with how I drive I get 17mpg on average no way I would get over 12 with 6.4.
7. The straight front axle is awesome untill it starts getting miles on it, my last truck needed the complete front end rebuilt along with a gear box brace . My point here is they both wear out and have there issues.
Also no death wobble with IFS

I will say Ram has totally F'ed the 1500 and if you will use it as a truck you need to change some things on it because the way it comes from the factory a s10 will haul more.
Money did not change my thoughts on which truck to buy as by the time I beef up the suspension on my 1500 I will probably have the same money spent..

I have had many many different trucks over the years, many 1 tons, 3/4 tons and half tons and while I like the big ole 1 ton duallys I had or the big Cummins if you are not using them to haul/tow often and use them as your DD you get beat up and spend more on fuel and sometimes more on maintenance .

But its your choice, think it through and buy what you want.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Honestly my dream truck would be a blacked out 2500 with a the Cummins. Love the look of them. And I like the idea of a diesel and the ability to rack up mileage on the motor. I’m not an expert but going based on the little knowledge I have [emoji12].

Also, how bad ass would it be to have a standard transmission! Buddy of mine has the 2500 diesel with stick shift. Cool as ****

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you're special ordering keep in mind the crew cab can come with the 6'4" box if you go the 1/2 ton route. That's how I ordered mine and I really haven't noticed much difference getting around with the extra 9" wheel base. Also if you go on the ram site and build a truck the way you want most dealers can find an good match and transfer from other dealers if they don't have it. Definitely get it faster that way and may get more options thrown it at the same price vs special order.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your not hauling or towing real heavy there is no reason to get the 2500 truck unless thats just what you "want" because you dont need it.
That’s kinda how I feel. Lol. Guess I was just trying to hard to find some justification in a 3/4-ton.

The 2500 sets taller and has alittle different look to the front of it but thats it when you look at them. If ypu were hauling alot or towing alot it would be a simple choice.
I like that it sits a little taller and that I mentioned I liked the looks of the front end.

The 6.4 only makes 15hp and 29lbs over the 5.7 in the 1500 so its going to be slower and get worse gas mileage because of the extra weight and the outdated 6sp transmission.
Wow, basically a 350ci to an almost 400ci, 15 ponies and 29 more pound-feet of torque? That’s it?... hmm. Figured it’d be more that that.

I bought the 1500 over the 2500 for a few reasons.

1. I dont haul or tow all the time, its my DD.
2. I wanted a QC and not a CC.
3. I will not have that 6sp transmission again, I cant believe they still use this transmission.
4. I love the 8sp transmission, its awesome.
5. I wanted a quick and nimble truck, not a big cumbersome truck.
6. I wanted something that got better fuel mileage, with how I drive I get 17mpg on average no way I would get over 12 with 6.4.
7. The straight front axle is awesome untill it starts getting miles on it, my last truck needed the complete front end rebuilt along with a gear box brace . My point here is they both wear out and have there issues.
Also no death wobble with IFS
See, that’s me. Well, I don’t know anything about the 6 or the 8 speed trans but the general consensus seems to point towards the 8-speed.

I liked the solid front axle on my old 98 halfton I had, seemed it was better suited for some of the light off-roading I did but I don’t off-road anymore. Lol. My current truck is nothing more than a pavement queen. It’s not even allowed to get dirty..lol.

I will say Ram has totally F'ed the 1500 and if you will use it as a truck you need to change some things on it because the way it comes from the factory a s10 will haul more.
Money did not change my thoughts on which truck to buy as by the time I beef up the suspension on my 1500 I will probably have the same money spent..
What did they mess up on it, tho? From what it seems to me, it’s everything anyone would want out of a halfton pickup. I guess. lol.

I have had many many different trucks over the years, many 1 tons, 3/4 tons and half tons and while I like the big ole 1 ton duallys I had or the big Cummins if you are not using them to haul/tow often and use them as your DD you get beat up and spend more on fuel and sometimes more on maintenance.
See that’s me but I think I would only make that sacrifice for an unscrewed up diesel thanks to the almighty‘s at the EPA office.

But its your choice, think it through and buy what you want.

Oh I am, and value the opinions so far.

Last edited:
OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly my dream truck would be a blacked out 2500 with a the Cummins. Love the look of them. And I like the idea of a diesel and the ability to rack up mileage on the motor. I’m not an expert but going based on the little knowledge I have [emoji12].
That was me once perhaps but not anymore now that bottles of cow **** are being injected into the exhaust and all the regen crap. lol.

Also, how bad ass would it be to have a standard transmission! Buddy of mine has the 2500 diesel with stick shift. Cool as ****

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well yeah, if you were into sticks. lol. And or towing. I’m a rock truck driver by trade so shifting a 9-speed all day is all the shifting I want ....lol. At the end of the day, I wanna just put in Drive and haul ass. Lol. I get my shifting fix throughout the day.....[emoji41]

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
What Iam talking about on the 1500s is Ram has chosen to have them ride real nice rather than be able to haul what a half ton should be able to haul.

I used to have a 75 chevy heavy half that would out haul any haft ton and easily haul as much as a 2500.These days my 92 S 10 will haul as much as a half ton or more..lol

They just jacked up the payload capability on the Ram.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What Iam talking about on the 1500s is Ram has chosen to have them ride real nice rather than be able to haul what a half ton should be able to haul.

I used to have a 75 chevy heavy half that would out haul any haft ton and easily haul as much as a 2500.These days my 92 S 10 will haul as much as a half ton or more..lol

They just jacked up the payload capability on the Ram.

With all due respect, they probably just figured if someone is wanting to buy a truck based on towing and something to be used as a work truck, then maybe they figure you’d want to get something that is meant more for that purpose. These days in my opinion a halfton is no longer what a halfton was way back in that day. Not too many people bought pickups as daily-driver commuters back then. Nowadays people primarily buy pickups for a substitute to a big SUV, but who want to retain a little bit of qualities from a pickup. Just my opinion. That’s pretty much my reasoning. As I said, I really don’t even need a truck. I could just get me a Durango R/T with the Hemi in it and get me a little single-axle utility trailer to take place of the bed I would no longer have but, I like trucks, though. Besides, if it was something heavy like a gun safe I had to pick up or so that may need to be hauled on a trailer anyways, it’s nice to have a pickup bed to haul stuff in and not have to drag around and then have to back up a little trailer. But as I said, probably for most people if you’re going to be pulling something that big or heavy, maybe a big 3/4 ton would be better anyways and not basically an SUV with a pickup bed...lol.

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Thats just it a half ton used to be able to do duties of a truck and they have about turned them into nothing but grocery getters..lol
Its not just Ram all the manufacturers have kinda done it just Ram seems to have taken it the furthest.
Its spose to be a truck for the person that needs to haul or tow from time to time thay does not need the downsides of the 2500s and up.

Just like I went to the store yesterday and bought 24 sheets of 4x9 7/16 osb and my truck handled it fine now that I have the TTC-1211S and air bags (only 15psi in bags) without those springs it would have been sagging 3 to 4 inches or more, should not need a 2500 for something like that.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats just it a half ton used to be able to do duties of a truck and they have about turned them into nothing but grocery getters..lol
Its not just Ram all the manufacturers have kinda done it just Ram seems to have taken it the furthest.
Its spose to be a truck for the person that needs to haul or tow from time to time thay does not need the downsides of the 2500s and up.

Just like I went to the store yesterday and bought 24 sheets of 4x9 7/16 osb and my truck handled it fine now that I have the TTC-1211S and air bags (only 15psi in bags) without those springs it would have been sagging 3 to 4 inches or more, should not need a 2500 for something like that.

I agree but nowadays there’s gotta be a trade-off somewhere. As I said, too many people buy 1/2-ton pickups for family/commuter vehicles, a lot like what someone 10 years ago would have bought a Tahoe or a Suburban for but still wanted the luxury of a pickup bed and unfortunately this makes the need for at least a 3/4-ton, a lot more stuck with.

Did you load that big stack of waferboard in the bed of your pickup or on a trailer? Also, does your half-ton not have the 4-corner air suspension on it? The one I priced out on a special order is gonna have that so I guess it looks like Chrysler is trying to regain a little bit of those old-school 1/2-ton qualities....[emoji12]

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yes I put it in the bed, just set my truck level or a touch below. Some where around 1300lbs plus my topper weight.

No I did not want the factory air ride just looks like a problem down the road and its harder to level or lift the truck.
Seen to many old town cars and other vehicles with none working factory air ride systems.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I put it in the bed, just set my truck level or a touch below. Some where around 1300lbs plus my topper weight.

That just seems to me like one of those very few times that if all I had was just a half-ton, I would have just put a load like that on a trailer or do what you did, which was put an aftermarket air-ride system on to minimize the squatting which I’ve done that before. That old 98 I mentioned I had, I put a set of air-shocks on the back and they did pretty good for leveling for load compensation.

No I did not want the factory air ride just looks like a problem down the road and its harder to level or lift the truck.
Seen to many old town cars and other vehicles with none working factory air ride systems.

Yeah I wondered about what the quality is of the factory, four-corner air-ride was. I would hope it wouldn’t be any more problematic than what you could run into with a typical aftermarket system unless they just didn’t use good materials or did shoddy craftsmanship of designing it and putting it together. But at least in my case I wouldn’t be lifting mine anyways. No need to really as I think it has big enough and wide enough tires as it is. They’re like a 33” inch tire so why would you wanna go bigger unless you just really wanted to go bigger like 39’s or something. Lol. That, and I don’t want a lift to change what little fuel economy I’m going to have and I don’t want it to affect the ride stability. I like to drive fast so, I don’t need the increased center of gravity. lol.

As far as leveling, I’ve never really wanted to do that as well simply because of the few times when I’ve loaded my pickup, I didn’t want the back end to sag even more because if you think about it, that’s pretty much the whole reason in the first place for the downward slope to the front is for when loading the back. An already set level truck would really squat if that downward slope wasn’t there to begin w when you put something heavy in the bed or hooked onto a trailer. But then again an aftermarket air ride system would correct that. Only other problem tho, when you raise the front, young change your aerodynamics. There’s going to be more air going underneath your truck as opposed to over it at highway speeds. That’s probably not important to everyone but it is a fact.

I may have to some research on how that air ride system works. Maybe with it being on the front too, who knows, someone might make a kit where you can modify the leveler valve up front to raise it up. Or make some kind of spacer that will raise it but without putting more air in the bags that would change ride stiffness. I’m really looking forward to trying it out someday.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45