Deciding between new 1500 and 2500....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Thats one reason for the air bags so it dont squat after I leveled it. 10/15psi keeps it above level.
I just wanted/needed it to set alittle higher so it does not bottom out in my pasture or curbs and what knot...lol

sure the new air system is far better then the old setups were I just decided it was not for me.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats one reason for the air bags so it dont squat after I leveled it. 10/15psi keeps it above level.
Yeah, I coulda done that but I just never had the need come up for it so I wasn’t gonna spend the money on an air ride helper spring system that I’d hardly ever use.
I just wanted/needed it to set alittle higher so it does not bottom out in my pasture or curbs and what knot...lol

I hear ya. I’ve always wondered how that new coil spring suspension was on them halftons when they first came out with it.

sure the new air system is far better then the old setups were I just decided it was not for me.

I’m sure hoping so because I really didn’t want to delete it when I was building my future truck...lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What Iam talking about on the 1500s is Ram has chosen to have them ride real nice rather than be able to haul what a half ton should be able to haul.

I used to have a 75 chevy heavy half that would out haul any haft ton and easily haul as much as a 2500.These days my 92 S 10 will haul as much as a half ton or more..lol

They just jacked up the payload capability on the Ram.

I had an 84' GMC heavy half 4X4 and thought I could throw in helper springs and load it up. After a few years of using it as a work truck I noticed the box was touching the cab. Yup,frame split most of the way through on both sides.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
That’s about what I get now in my 2008 4x4 Halfton Hemi...lol. Well, aside from the 19 mpg’s out on the highway part. I could probably hit 17 on a good day but I have a lead foot and a 650 dollar radar detector...[emoji41]

Oh I don’t doubt it one bit but like someone said quite a bit earlier in the discussion, that 3/4-ton is a 7000+ pound beast. That’s a lot of truck compared to the half-ton.

it is heavy and it is big, no doubt about it. i also have a 2008 Ford focus as a spare (wife's old car we bought new in 2008, i maintained since new and now has over 156k miles).

if i have to do a bunch of errands and running around i use my wifes new equinox or the focus.

it's all in what you want and need. i will say that for me, personally, with my 23' 6k lb travel trailer, loaded heavy for a week trip, cab of the truck and truck bed loaded with supplies, etc, the difference is night and day between my 17 RAM 2500 and the 15 Silverado 1500 it replaced. the Silverado had over 1700 lbs of payload, but loaded that heavy it felt pretty maxed out, payload wise. power out of the gm 5.3 was fine, it had a lot of power. even with all that weight the 2500 hardly squats. the 1500 Silverado had a lot of squat, even with the wdh adjusted properly.

buy the right tool for the job, whichever that is best for you personally. we're lucky they build 1500, 2500, 3500+ series trucks. gives us lots of options which is nice.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I had an 84' GMC heavy half 4X4 and thought I could throw in helper springs and load it up. After a few years of using it as a work truck I noticed the box was touching the cab. Yup,frame split most of the way through on both sides.

Ha well that sucked.
Never had a problem with mine, carried a 475 gallon water tank in it for a few years and before that a 9' overhead camper. Truck handled the weight just fine.
When I went to a different truck it was a 95 GMC 1 ton dually and that 75 carried that load allmost as good.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
it's all in what you want and need. i will say that for me, personally, with my 23' 6k lb travel trailer, loaded heavy for a week trip, cab of the truck and truck bed loaded with supplies, etc, the difference is night and day between my 17 RAM 2500 and the 15 Silverado 1500 it replaced. the Silverado had over 1700 lbs of payload, but loaded that heavy it felt pretty maxed out, payload wise. power out of the gm 5.3 was fine, it had a lot of power. even with all that weight the 2500 hardly squats. the 1500 Silverado had a lot of squat, even with the wdh adjusted properly.

I wonder how your Chibby would have been with air adjustable helper springs. Better yet, I wonder how a ‘17 or ‘18 halfton like what I’ve been looking at would handle a travel trailer of that size considering it’ll have the factory air ride system. I dunno, I don’t foresee a camp trailer in my future but if that did happen to change I probably wouldn’t even get one that big. Maybe something a little bigger than just a little ole pop-up but probly not no fairly big tandem axle job.

buy the right tool for the job, whichever that is best for you personally. we're lucky they build 1500, 2500, 3500+ series trucks. gives us lots of options which is nice.

Actually sometimes having all these options sucks. Lol. Especially for people like me who have a hard time making up their minds..[emoji41]

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But on a side-note tho, does anyone have one of them ‘17 or ‘18, 3/4-tons with that auto-leveling rear end they offer as an option? Since that’s where the majority of the rough-ride comes from when empty, I’m curious what the ride quality is on those since they ain’t got those heavy-duty 3/4-ton spring packs back there that beat ya to death.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
But on a side-note tho, does anyone have one of them ‘17 or ‘18, 3/4-tons with that auto-leveling rear end they offer as an option? Since that’s where the majority of the rough-ride comes from when empty, I’m curious what the ride quality is on those since they ain’t got those heavy-duty 3/4-ton spring packs back there that beat ya to death.

Can't help you there friend. I'll just say as i believe 69gwc said, i have no interest personally in the factory air ride system. To me, it's not a question of if but when is it going to have issues.

My old 2000 ford expedition Eddie Bauer had it and it worked ok, but there was a ton of posts on the expedition forums of folks with issues. Air compressor issues, wiring issues, air line and air bag issues, etc. Folks came out to their trucks and the bags were aired down and had to drive it on the bump stops. There are kits out there to eliminate the air ride for expeditions. I had to keep my truck idling hooking up the camper or the air ride would air down (by design to aid entry and exit)

To each their own, but I hated it, again personally. One more system to maintain, more things to go wrong. That's why i bought a tradesman. Lol. Just my .02. If you like the air ride, get it.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can't help you there friend. I'll just say as i believe 69gwc said, i have no interest personally in the factory air ride system. To me, it's not a question of if but when is it going to have issues.

My old 2000 ford expedition Eddie Bauer had it and it worked ok, but there was a ton of posts on the expedition forums of folks with issues. Air compressor issues, wiring issues, air line and air bag issues, etc. Folks came out to their trucks and the bags were aired down and had to drive it on the bump stops. There are kits out there to eliminate the air ride for expeditions. I had to keep my truck idling hooking up the camper or the air ride would air down (by design to aid entry and exit)

To each their own, but I hated it, again personally. One more system to maintain, more things to go wrong. That's why i bought a tradesman. Lol. Just my .02. If you like the air ride, get it.

Hopefully a lot’s changed in the past 17 years and hopefully Chrysler did their homework and learned from other manufacturer’s mistakes. Aren’t there high-end cars out there that have full air-ride suspensions on them that are proven to exceed expectations? I’ll have to check out reviews if I can find any and one of these days go to a dealership or two and start checking some out and probably test drive some. I dunno, I guess it would be a bad sign if the car lots I go to only had maybe one or two new halftons with the air ride on them. Lol.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve got the air ride in my outdoorsman and love it. I’m sure it won’t be as reliable as a normal spring and strut suspension but it rides better and I love the entry mode when my parents are with me. I got an extended warranty, primarily because of the air ride.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve got the air ride in my outdoorsman and love it. I’m sure it won’t be as reliable as a normal spring and strut suspension but it rides better and I love the entry mode when my parents are with me. I got an extended warranty, primarily because of the air ride.

That’s good, how’s it holding up so far? Have you had any issues with it?

That entry/exit thing- is that a setting that can be disabled or only turned on when you need it or is that something that the truck will always automatically do? Also, how well does the system hold air when parked for long periods of time or is this one of those things where the truck will always end up in low-rider mode until it is started and you begin to build air like I have to do in my Pete every morning?...lol.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My friend has a Rebel with the air suspension and hasn't had any issue to date (20k+). So I suspect some of the initial teething issues were resolved. The only negative I've heard vs a traditional coil was during hi speed off-roading where it doesn't handle the bumps as well.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My friend has a Rebel with the air suspension and hasn't had any issue to date (20k+). So I suspect some of the initial teething issues were resolved.
That’s good to hear as that was kinda what I was hoping for. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t ever expect anything to always be perfect and free of defect but in my humble ole opinion, using old and outdated technology to judge the new stuff doesn’t give the new stuff the a proper chance.

The only negative I've heard vs a traditional coil was during hi speed off-roading where it doesn't handle the bumps as well.

Hmm. I guess I could see that. I’m not to sure you could customize spring rates on air bags. Lol.

But that does kinda make a little bit of sense though, I guess. Last night when I was pricing out and building a 3/4-ton, I noticed that if you wanted the off-road package, you couldn’t have the self-leveling air suspension on the back. As far as whether the off-road capabilities would be hindered or not with that air system back there, I don’t know, I’m just stating that you apparently couldn’t have both.

But speaking of which tho, I did read somewhere here in this discussion where someone did say that the back end air suspension on the halftons was self-leveling, correct?

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven’t had any issues with my 2014 and it is about 30,000 miles on it now and has been through three Canadian winters.

The entry mode needs to be selected by a button on the dash or the key fob. It does not automatically do it.

The Longest my truck has sat has been two weeks and it did not air down or settle at all.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven’t had any issues with my 2014 and it is about 30,000 miles on it now and has been through three Canadian winters.

The entry mode needs to be selected by a button on the dash or the key fob. It does not automatically do it.

The Longest my truck has sat has been two weeks and it did not air down or settle at all.

That’s cool. Having that low-rider mode on demand will probably save quite a bit on compressor wear.

I wonder if there’s a dryer on that compressor that cuts down on moisture in the system? Is there a drain valve on the tanks that needs to be cracked open every once in a while? What’s the maintenance like on it?

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That’s cool. Having that low-rider mode on demand will probably save quite a bit on compressor wear.

I wonder if there’s a dryer on that compressor that cuts down on moisture in the system? Is there a drain valve on the tanks that needs to be cracked open every once in a while? What’s the maintenance like on it?

It's a closed system, it's 100% nitrogen.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7