Disconnected from driving experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was going to post this as a response in a thread about traction control, but didn't want to hijack it.

Anyway, I learned to drive in a truck with none of the "electronic nanny's " that we have today.
There was no ABS, traction, or stability control. The only "electronics" other than the radio, was the HEI ignition.
I learned how to pump the brakes in a emergency stop to avoid skidding. I learned how to initiate a skid, and how to control it with throttle/wheel spin.

I realize all these new features are supposed to keep us "safer" by taking driver error out of the equation, but I feel like I'm disconnected from the vehicle. I feel more like a passenger, than a driver.

Anyone else feel the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not so much-
I just get infuriated when I call for more power by mashing the pedal and the traction control starts cutting power- making it more of a habit of shutting it off when I jump in my truck. I fear for the people who rely on the new technology- especially the parking and backing assistant ones.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yup, I do. I learned how to drive on old farm tractors and trucks. No safety gizmos or driver protective nannys on those rigs.

My first truck was a '67 3/4T Dodge "Camper Special" with a 318 & a 4 spd (granny low) that never really synchro'd on its own. You had to blip the throttle and double clutch to be smooth.

Kinda miss those old rigs...

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
You'll will have to get used it, we are very likely only a generation away from totally autonomous cars. In a hundred years people will go to museums and say to each other, "can you believe people used to have to operate these big things, it was so dangerous".

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel this way too. We can thank our various governments for slowly and methodically taking away our freedom in the name of safety. Sadly they are not just doing it with cars.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeap pretty soon nobody will know how to drive, I hate all the crap and bought a truck with the least amount of that crap as I could.

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I respectfully disagree...I learned to drive in an old station wagon and on old farm tractors so I understand the feel of operating a "pure machine".

I honestly like the technology.
I feel in charge of it and more capable with it if that makes sense.

Now don't get me wrong, I love banging through the gears on an old 5 speed and it always feel good to get behind the wheel of something without power steering...

but I really do enjoy my truck and don't feel disconnected as a driver at all. Just a different kind of driving.

OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
While I do enjoy driving my ram, I guess I was just feeling nostalgic and missing my old truck, and what it was like to drive it.
It was an 82 K20. I bought and rebuilt it before I got my license. It had a built 350 and a 4speed (SM465 with granny 1st). It was 4x4, and lifted with 33's(don't laugh, 33's were considered big back then). It only had about 350HP and 300 lbft torque, but it was all in by 4000 RPM.
There was feedback through all the controls(and I mean that in a good way). You could "feel" exactly what the truck was doing. Even the mechanical clutch linkage allowed you to feel the clutch engage. When I bought my ram, I was looking at wranglers, and after test driving one, the lack of feedback(especially from the clutch) is why I decided to look at rams.

Guess I just miss being able to hit the back(gravel) roads, and slide around curves, and being able to do doughnuts in the snow.

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was going to post this as a response in a thread about traction control, but didn't want to hijack it.

Anyway, I learned to drive in a truck with none of the "electronic nanny's " that we have today.
There was no ABS, traction, or stability control. The only "electronics" other than the radio, was the HEI ignition.
I learned how to pump the brakes in a emergency stop to avoid skidding. I learned how to initiate a skid, and how to control it with throttle/wheel spin.

I realize all these new features are supposed to keep us "safer" by taking driver error out of the equation, but I feel like I'm disconnected from the vehicle. I feel more like a passenger, than a driver.

Do what I do. I have my brand new ram, and I have an 86 gmc 1500 4x4. I know my ram will always bring me back home, and I know I'll always have a great time in the gmc.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't mind the traction/stability control or ABS as they are not nearly as intrusive (or scary) as lane control assist or automatic braking/smart cruise control. Too many stories of cars thinking there is an object avoidance necessity and slamming on brakes for no reason. That I mind.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I don't mind the traction/stability control or ABS as they are not nearly as intrusive (or scary) as lane control assist or automatic braking/smart cruise control. Too many stories of cars thinking there is an object avoidance necessity and slamming on brakes for no reason. That I mind.

Agreed, my sister had a bmw (bought my wife) and while she was on the highway, the brakes locked for no reason whatsoever and was smashed by a big rig and totaled her car. Company said it was driver error, *********, I was in it and she didn't touch the brake pedal at all, in fact I think it was on cruis control. I will never own any vehicle with all those useless gadgets. If you know how to drive then you don't need that crap but in today's society everyone is becoming very reliant on technology so they don't need to know how. If you can't parallel park, stay between the lines, brake when needed, etc... Then you shouldn't be driving period!:Frustrated:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you know how to drive then you don't need that crap but in today's society everyone is becoming very reliant on technology so they don't need to know how. If you can't parallel park, stay between the lines, brake when needed, etc... Then you shouldn't be driving period!

^^^exactly
To add to the list, the Ford Trailer Back-up Assist. If you can't back a trailer up, you shouldn't be pulling one down the road.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I respectfully disagree...I learned to drive in an old station wagon and on old farm tractors so I understand the feel of operating a "pure machine".

I honestly like the technology.
I feel in charge of it and more capable with it if that makes sense.

Now don't get me wrong, I love banging through the gears on an old 5 speed and it always feel good to get behind the wheel of something without power steering...

but I really do enjoy my truck and don't feel disconnected as a driver at all. Just a different kind of driving.

Agree...well, except the rowing the gears part....my knee don't like that anymore...and my shoulder wouldn't like the manual steering thing too well either.

(yeah, I'm getting old)

Agreed, my sister had a bmw (bought my wife) and while she was on the highway, the brakes locked for no reason whatsoever and was smashed by a big rig and totaled her car. Company said it was driver error, *********, I was in it and she didn't touch the brake pedal at all, in fact I think it was on cruis control. I will never own any vehicle with all those useless gadgets. If you know how to drive then you don't need that crap but in today's society everyone is becoming very reliant on technology so they don't need to know how. If you can't parallel park, stay between the lines, brake when needed, etc... Then you shouldn't be driving period!:Frustrated:

Here...Here......but they think it is a God given right or something they should get for free......like participation trophies...........

No one wants to earn it anymore, they just want it.

Last edited:

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont mind the ABS and ESC. All that other crap is good for the majority as they have no clue how to drive. I know some mustang drivers that need it!

My truck still let's me have fun!

https://youtu.be/KuSK5LbQO2s

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

undertow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you know how to drive then you don't need that crap but in today's society everyone is becoming very reliant on technology so they don't need to know how. If you can't parallel park, stay between the lines, brake when needed, etc... Then you shouldn't be driving period!:Frustrated:

^^^ This.

All this technology just makes it easier for people to think they can drive without paying attention. People think they can text while driving because their car will stop itself, or warn them when they drift out of their lane. People think they can drive 80 mph on icy roads because their car has traction control and anti-lock brakes. People think they can change lanes without looking or signaling because their car will warn them if there's another vehicle in the adjacent lane. etc, etc. This makes us all less safe because too many idiots rely on too much of this kind of stuff, and it's not nearly as reliable as they think it is. How about we TEACH PEOPLE HOW TO DRIVE, instead of making it easier for them to get away with stupidity?

:favorites13:

OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dont mind the ABS and ESC. All that other crap is good for the majority as they have no clue how to drive. I know some mustang drivers that need it!

My truck still let's me have fun!

https://youtu.be/KuSK5LbQO2s

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

As long as you can keep your wheel speed below 40mph, you can do that all day long. The problem comes when you hit 40mph, the computer kicks in, and you no longer have throttle control.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

I don't want to be critical because you are talking about some real aspects of old vs newer vehicles.
But here is the way I look at it: It is a pickup truck. The purpose is primarily of a utilitarian nature. That being the case the need for a connected driving experienced, or that good old "road feel" does not take precedence in the design.
Most all newer vehicles will add features for the sake of safety and efficiency.

Electric power steering--better efficiency. Steering feedback sacrificed
Anti-lock brakes-- Greater safety. Sacrifices total control of braking.
Automatic transmission--ease of operation (women have to drive too) Forgetaboutit

But ya know there is a solution. If you like driving just for the enjoyment of it, get yourself a cool old car. Believe it or not it is as close to a "time machine" as we have.
Get something from the 60s or 70s.
Brakes were frighteningly bad. Power steering was optional, so were passenger side mirrors on a lot of cars. Manual was always standard, but if you were fancy you splurged for an automatic 3 speed.
A lot of people didn't pay extra for air conditioning. BUT heck, pop open the vent window in the summer and you were hit in the face with a torrent of air. Something like power windows, not what is high luxury there.

The simplicity of the whole thing will intrigue you. And in fact that was typically how cars were, simple. There is something comforting in that.