DO NOT use De Icer in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I have read a few threads here about NOT using Rainex washer fluid because it screws up the sensor, Well I dropped my truck off today to get my boards installed and change the washer sensor because it was screwing up.. It seem that washer fluid with deicer in it also screw up the sensor
Thats what I was told today just use only the Blue basic fluid,, I am sure most of you know it but just passing on info for other noob RAM owneres like me

HEMI_Finn

U.S. ARMY Veteran
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Never heard of such a thing. What exactly is this sensor? Seriously, not being a wise ass!

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is that why my truck keeps saying it needs wiper fluid even after i filled up recently at jiffy lube????

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
This is not just a Ram thing. I have owned GM products with rain sensing and using any of the above mentioned products will cause you glitches and all kinds of head aches with the wipers sensing correctly.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had this issue in my previous vehicle. Didnt stop me on this one though. The part for the last vehicle was 10 bucks and a half hour to take the bumper off and then after doing twice i just grounded out the sensor.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup...had this same issue a couple years ago. Something in the rainx chemical gunks up the sensor itself...then the sensor cant read the fluid level.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
I've lived in Wisconsin and Minnesota all of my life. I've never used anything but the blue stuff. Yeah there are some times each winter that you don't dare spray the wiper fluid, but that's only because the truck hasn't warmed up enough to keep the windows warm.

For most people I don't really think that you need anything besides the blue stuff.

bdcramer1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had that problem with my wife's VW, but I've been using RainX for years without a problem, including five Rams, so it'***** or miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i have used all the products people say not to use in many vehicles without issue. i did switch to the cheap blue fluid this though.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I will stay blue from now on lol My Car does not have the level sensor so I will use it there only...

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn, I had no idea. That is the only stuff I've ever used in all my vehicles.

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
I've been using Rainx for years, not going to stop now for a cheap ass sensor.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Are you guys talking about the sensor for automatic wipers (for the trucks that have that feature) or the sensor that tells me when my washer fluid tank is empty?

Reading through the posts I see both being referred to so I don't think everyone is talking about the same thing.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you guys talking about the sensor for automatic wipers (for the trucks that have that feature) or the sensor that tells me when my washer fluid tank is empty?

Reading through the posts I see both being referred to so I don't think everyone is talking about the same thing.

Referring to the low fluid sensor for washer fluid.

Jetsfan122

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Express Crew Cab White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just filled my reservoir 2 days ago with RainX for the first time lol. I guess I'll see what happens.

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
We were told by our Dealer not to use the orange color windshield wash. Something in it that messes up the sensors.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The orange stuff makes all the bugs slide off. The blue crap is for dust.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup, I always used RainX, so when I first filled my 14 Sport I used RainX. After a couple months i was getting low washer fluid warning even though it was full. I researched it and found out what you guys are saying. The RainX coats the sensor prongs which breaks the circuit between them causing the low washer fluid light. I changed to the cheap blue stuff and never had a problem since.

So, the cheap purple deicer stuff is a bad idea to use too????

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Even with the truck warmed up, there are times out here in the plains that the regular blue stuff will freeze up, either in the lines, nozzles, and/or in the reservoir.

I've read repeatedly that Rain-X (or knock offs) can coat/stick to the sensor and screw it up. I stopped using it, as I have had just as good of luck with alternative products. I have used orange or purple colored stuff, non-Rain-X, for many years now without issue.