Does a hard shell toneau cover increase gas milage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

taborekle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a after market hard shell toneau cover (very nice) for my 2012 Dodge Ram crew cab. Looking at my average economy, it looks like I'm picking up about .5 to 1 mpg better gas milage in city driving. Does anyone think this is right? I also notice that the truck seems to want to coast longer when I get off the gas. It seems to keep it's speed up.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good to know; thanks for sharing! We're looking at a Lund FG cover painted body color to match. We were hoping it may improve mileage as a side benefit.

daggertats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Engine
i had a cover on two different trucks i had.....one had a 6 cyl and one a 4 cyl. there was an increase from what both trucks were rated at outta the factory. cpl miles per gallon more but over time itll add up.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it is more that you are paying more attention to how you drive.

The mpg gain most people claim from a hard cover is usually offset by the extra weight of it being carried around.

greychevy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I think it is more that you are paying more attention to how you drive.

The mpg gain most people claim from a hard cover is usually offset by the extra weight of it being carried around.

What he said

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure a tonneau would change city MPGs (not enough speed to make aero a factor). I had a soft cover on my '97 and drove it with and without - never saw much difference running on the Interstate.

I'd actually believe that the cover might cause moe downforce/resistance. I'm sure someone's done that math.

Ultimately, it's very difficult to quantify changes that lead to signifiicant MPG changes as scientific repeatability is very difficult due to the factors at play. Proving would require a larger sample that would be best proven using a fleet of vehicles and months of metrics.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll post some info on tonneau covers, let me go find it. I have it in another thread.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Tonneau Cover Fuel Economy MYTH | Tundra Headquarters Blog

Pay close attention to one of the last paragraphs....

Drive your tonneau cover equipped truck at 85mph for 60 minutes a day and you’ll save 0.33 gallons of gas, or about $1.16 per day. We figure that’s only 3 years and 7 months of workday commuting to earn back a $1000 tonneau cover. Of course, during that same period, you’ll spend over $13k on fuel. We feel sorry for anyone that has to drive their truck 85mph for 60 minutes a day — the fuel costs for just three years would be enough to buy a nice toy (ATV, boat, motorcycle, etc.).

FL_Jester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was told "Myth Busters" show did a piece on this and proved tonneau covers had no affect on mileage....

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The effect on mileage described in the article really isn't a difference. I like the point to use a tonneau to keep your bed safe and dry rather than to save MPGs

Dale_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I remember Chevy offered a high mileage version of their 1/2 ton a couple of years ago. The main difference was a tall rear end gear but it came from the factory with a semi rigid folding tonneau cover as part of the package. I doubt they would have included it unless there was some mileage improvement. I guess the lighter the cover the more likely it would pay off.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My mileage did not improve after I installed mine. One thing did happen though--the muffler noise inside the cab wasn't as loud. I also installed a bed rug at the same time so that might have helped with the noise reduction.
Jay

OP
OP
T

taborekle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do believe it is helping. One thing for those that have inserted 'city' driving into their posts. I live in a somewhat rual area ahd have to drive 26 miles one way to and from work. Most of that driving is at 50-65mph. There are some lights and on occassion some stop and go driving, but if I just go by my average MPG's at the end of a tank, I believe that I've picked up some MPG. I reset my MPG rating indicator at each fill up.

It can be a difficult thing to pin down. On a recent tank of gas I did a lot of short trips and found that it shot my average MPG to heck. Way down from average (with Toneau installed). So you have to drive the same each time, and enough of it has to be at high enough speeds for long enough to help. To short of a commute or a commute with too many stop lights or with not enough higher speeds and you'll never get anything out of your toneau cover on increased MPG's.

My average MPG's per 3/4ths tank before was at 16.4. Now it's at 17.2 (ish).

Larry

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do believe it is helping. One thing for those that have inserted 'city' driving into their posts. I live in a somewhat rual area ahd have to drive 26 miles one way to and from work. Most of that driving is at 50-65mph. There are some lights and on occassion some stop and go driving, but if I just go by my average MPG's at the end of a tank, I believe that I've picked up some MPG. I reset my MPG rating indicator at each fill up.

It can be a difficult thing to pin down. On a recent tank of gas I did a lot of short trips and found that it shot my average MPG to heck. Way down from average (with Toneau installed). So you have to drive the same each time, and enough of it has to be at high enough speeds for long enough to help. To short of a commute or a commute with too many stop lights or with not enough higher speeds and you'll never get anything out of your toneau cover on increased MPG's.

My average MPG's per 3/4ths tank before was at 16.4. Now it's at 17.2 (ish).

Larry

Well, you are proving it.

Short trips, where the speed isn't enough to utilize the possible aerodynamic benefit, you are payig for the extra weight.

Longer trips, were the supposed aerodynamic benefit comes into play, you are getting better.

Now, the proof is in the pudding....is the decrease in your 'city driving' less than the 'increase' in your non-city driving ???

If yes, then you gained, if not, well.......

Most people, when they do a mod that someone tells them will increase mpg for a certain driving style (like gears), they say why yes, it does, I get an extra 1 mpg driving around town. They fail to tell you, they get 1 mpg less on the highway.

So, is it really a benefit ? it all depends on how much drivign you do in the city vs on the highway.

Or bigger tires on a truck...yeah, highway mpg goes up some but city mpg drops a lot.

Last edited:

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Short trips kill the average MPG on these vehicles compared with rolling it up to highway speed and running a few hours.

Not enough data - not enough scientific method.

Texasez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've got a bak flip. I can't see much difference