door ding magnet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
so probably not the right section for a rant/observation but...

it seems like Rams are door ding magnets. My 2014 1500 had a ding within the first 3 months of ownership. My 2015 2500 with in the first month. when ever I go to a lot, I park way out in no mans land, no other cars around. I go into the store, come out. Invariably, there's a clapped out 1972 f100 or similar parked as close to me as possible. door dinged. No other cars around and as far away from the busy spots as possible.

by contrast, we bought our daughter a kia soul. we've been using it as our run about until she's off her provisional license. we park that thing anywhere we can wedge it in and as close to the store as possible. I see it as 'seasoning' the car for her. I know it'll see worse when we finally hand over the car in about 6 more months. anyway, not one door ding, scratch, scuff, etc. in fact I don't think birds poop on it even though we park it outside. My black forest green 2500, the pooping starts as I'm pulling out of the garage.

I don't get it. I just don't get it.

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate when people do that. Do what I do when people park so close to me for now on parent reason I simply kick off their mirrors . They will think twice before they ever do it again.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I haved kicked in a door or 2 in my day from people door dinging my trucks, I do not feel bad about it because like you I park put by myself and if it has a ding in it the car that parked next to me did it I check my stuff all the time.

I hate the fact people have no respect for other peoples stuff.
I have Never door dinged anyones vehicle never.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I watch a guy door ding, actually more like major dent someone else's car door in a parking lot. He moved his car to another spot. When I told him I witnessed it happen, he told me to go "F" off...the cops and owner of the other car were waiting for him when he came out of the store.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with the OP. These Rams are magnets for people that drive pieces of crap. They just have to park next to you no matter how far you are from the store entrance. There can be 100 open parking spots between you and the door, but nope---they just gotta park right next to you, and then you end up with a door ding. I don't have a cure or an answer so I just keep parking further and further away. Pretty soon, I'll be walking to the damn store :naughty:
Jay

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who believes in ensuring the inconsiderate morons of society receive a lesson when they damage someone else's property.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
It could also be that the trucks are wider than most cars and take up more of the stall so there's less room for people to swing their doors open before hitting something. A set of side steps generally works well for protecting trucks.

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
once, I considered kicking someone's door in. I parked at a trail head, completely empty. when I came back from my bike ride, there was a white chevy truck parked as close as possible to my passenger side. rest of the lot completely empty. sure enough a white paint ding on my door. I went to kick in his door but there was already a ridiculously huge dent in the door. couldn't even get any satisfaction.

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It could also be that the trucks are wider than most cars and take up more of the stall so there's less room for people to swing their doors open before hitting something. A set of side steps generally works well for protecting trucks.

that's why I park all the way out on the fringes of the lot. still, someone has to park next to me despite all the open spots around us. I can't wait to get my 72 D100 running. I'm sure that old beast will get no door dings.

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I have runningboards on my truck which keeps door dings from happening. But I still never park in parking places I always park way out. But you still have that person that loves to park real close to my truck that's when he is missing a mirror and a headlight. I am always courteous enough to leave a note on his car with his mirror missing next time don't park so close to somebody's nice truck they pay a lot of money for *******. Lol

Last edited:

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These body colored door trim protectors might not be every ones choice, But I like to install them on my trucks, and they help a lot. When I got rid of my 07 ram last year, there was not a single ding in any door. I received these new protectors today to install on the Ram Night when it gets here.

352019887325 | eBay

Attachments

• Door Trim Molding.jpg
    Door Trim Molding.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I considered the body side trim strips. but my dings are really high, above he wheel well opening. likely another truck. my steps don't help a bit either.

still don't understand why no one will ding up my Kia. atleast I would feel degree of completeness.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My fat cow of a neighbor (renter) and her two brats beat the snot out of my truck for the first couple of weeks I owned it, until I explained my size 13 in a work boot would find the side of her POS Honda van and make it look like a moonscape if this behavior didn't stop.

Imagine that? No new dings. Unfortunately the putrescent hag still lives there. :mad3:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is why I chose the black OEM side steps for my QC , these steps stick ever so slightly out from the curvature of the front & back doors .
They won't prevent all dings especially from a lifted truck but I know they have worked for me because I've had to rubber off paint from my steps more than once

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

zflat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Haven't had many problems with the door dings, as my side steps do a pretty good job of taking those blows, but the windshields on these Rams must be made of butter. In my 10 prior years of driving I've never had a rock chip my windshield. My 2016 1500 had 3 chips when I traded it in at 5 months and 7,000 miles. My 2016 2500 has a chip I got after about 6 months of owning it, and my wife's 2017 1500 took a giant chip 2 days after we got it. Maybe I should start tailgating so the rocks don't have time to make it to my windshield and I can just eat up the grill and hood :Stupid Me: