Ecodiesel driveshaft problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If anyone else read my other thread about the bed of my truck shaking violently at highway speeds when I got new wheels and tires. The wheels and tires were just coincidental and it ended up being a TSB which I’ve attached below in which the U joint on the drive shaft starts to fail and requires the entire driveshaft to be replaced.

My mechanic said he only saw it once before and it was also on an Ecodiesel. (Both my truck and the other ecodiesel were 4x4’s)

I’d like to hopefully get a tally of how many forum members have had this exact same TSB and replacement of their driveshaft to see if it only affects only the ecodiesels or if it’s also a v6 and v8 problem and how prevalent it is. As far as I know the TSB only affects 14+ model years.

The part that concerns me is that although it’s been acknowledged as a TSB their method of repair is to put the exact same driveshaft which would insinuate that the problem can certainly happen again. I plan to keep my truck for a while and I don’t want this to happen multiple times and the fact that they haven’t improved on the original driveshaft to sturdy up the U joint is not reassuring.

Anyways maybe if we can get enough members with this issue I can draft up a letter to FCA and maybe get it turned into a recall and we can get an actual upgraded driveshaft to prevent this from happening. Please list your trucks year, model, VIN and mileage of when the driveshaft was replaced

610f19bc62c43d5265f0ff8ad819ca4e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'll have to look, there was someone that had issue with the tail end of the transfer case wiggling real bad(he posted GoPro videos) when taking off from a stop. I can't remember if he had driving vibration issues though. I wonder if this is in any way related.
If I remember correctly the dealer replaced the drive shaft (both sections), mid-shaft bearing and transmission mounts. I believe he finally lemoned the truck because the dealer couldn't fix the problem.

OP
OP
pgr1990

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'll have to look, there was someone that had issue with the tail end of the transfer case wiggling real bad(he posted GoPro videos) when taking off from a stop. I can't remember if he had driving vibration issues though. I wonder if this is in any way related.
If I remember correctly the dealer replaced the drive shaft (both sections), mid-shaft bearing and transmission mounts. I believe he finally lemoned the truck because the dealer couldn't fix the problem.

Yikes!! They said the driveshaft will be there by Wednesday or Thursday. Hopefully it fixes the problem. Mechanic said another guy had the exact same issue as me and the driveshaft TSB fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk