electric power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cajun87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How does the new electric power steering work in the new 2013's? Are they calling it electric because it has an electric power steering pump instead of a belt driven unit? If it is an electric pump, does it turn the same rpm and and keep the same pressure all the time or does the electric pump only pump as much pressure as needed at a certain time, as in not pumping if the steering wheel is not moved.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
It's a pump right on the steering rack and it'll change feel slightly depending on the speed of the truck. Faster=harder slower=easier. I don't know if it's electric over hydraulic.

They take some getting used to, but once you do, they're supposed to be superior. It freed up 5bhp so that's a plus I guess. lol

boomer135

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport CC 4x4
Engine
Thats why I dont like it, plus you receive no input from what the truck is actually doing. I like it offroad on ruts and trails. But it makes the truck feel like like a car... Still getting used to it

My buddy has it in his f150...Makes his trk feel super light..

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
electricpowersteering.gif

Electric power steering works with the help of an Electric Motor and a control unit which has some sensors. The motor runs on battery and will use electric power to assist the movement of steering when the driver turns the wheel.

redsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.5 Ecoboost
I didn't mind it, I honestly didn't notice much difference. I would say it felt easier to turn at a stop light somewhat but to me its not like a night and day difference.

MACH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just picked up a 2013 ram 1500 Laramie and it is a little lighter than my dads 2011. I like it.

65Bowtie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have it on mine and am liking it pretty well. There is no real feedback on the steering wheel though I have yet to get into a real situation where it should. Its stiffer to turn than a hydro system is.

I have had it on my Can Am Commander and absolutely love it, no fighting the wheel (upgraded from a Outlander).

Overall I see it as an approvment as nobody likes the wheel being ****** out of your hand when it grabs a rut, snow drift, sand burm. Why would you?

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was going to start a new thread, until I came across this old one through a Google search.

Someone asked me the other day about the electronic steering on my tuck, and what the steering wheel was physically connected to - if anything.

I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know the answer.
As someone who has always worked on their own vehicles, it feels strange that I haven't spent time turning wrenches on this one.
I guess with the truck being newer and under warranty all this time, I've had no real reason to spend a lot of time under the hood.

Anyway, I found some great info in an online car review (and a helpful diagram in this thread) that I thought I'd share in case anyone else out there is fuzzy on how the whole thing works.

An EPS steering rack (gear) is basically a standard rack-and-pinion, only now powered by an integral electric motor. The steering sensor mounted at the rack detects driver input at the steering wheel, while the EPS control module uses this and other data such as vehicle speed to tailor fit the amount of steering assist. This provides advanced control that wasn't possible with hydraulic power assist, to adapt steering and handing to driving conditions. I've seen very few problems with the systems currently on the road, and the discontinuation of the hydraulic power source eliminates the inevitable noise and leaks. Plus the EPS system involves less bulk and weight.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This actually explains a lot. I feel like the truck wanders quickly off course unless I provide it constant input.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's easier for me to steer my truck at slow speeds than my mom's 2001 Toyota Corolla. But the Corolla also has 180,000 miles, so maybe it's just getting worn out.