Emergency Help Trad In

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it's a Chrysler warranty and the manufacturers warranty isn't up, shouldn't you be able to get a full refund? There's half of your 2500 depending on which warranty you purchased. Do what you want. If you'll be happier in the diesel do it.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
theres one problem with your math. its reflecting that you would keep the truck for a very long time. you arent considering the higher resale of the eco diesel vs the hemi. your break even point would most likely be much less then that. your paying more for a truck up front that is going to be worth more in the used market.

is trading in the truck still a good idea for the OP...probably not. but i cant see trading in a vehicle that you've only owned for a few months a good idea for anybody.
Higher resale value is still up in the air. Give it another couple years to see if that's the case. I would imagine it would be higher, but no one knows yet.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
It all depends on whether you can afford it

It sucks to have negative equity but if you can afford it without living paycheque to paycheque...why not?

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
If I was offered that much I'd do it lol

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2 cents here.

If you are really worried about mpg, your not gonna save it in the truck. Keep the truck, don't trade it, and get urself something small and used with a lot of miles on it, for those longer trips, or alternating days to work.

That $$ you would be rolling into a new loan, that could be another car them you will have options.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Tsbot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the advice. It isn't worth loosing money just to have the Diesel engine, even with turning in my warranty I'd save $1500 but then I'd be warranty-less, so my equation was a wash since I'd keep the warranty. Therefore all savings for the MPG would be lost. The Hemi is awesome and I'm happy with it, I'm just infatuated with the mid 20's MPG. Next time I guess :)

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
theres one problem with your math. its reflecting that you would keep the truck for a very long time. you arent considering the higher resale of the eco diesel vs the hemi. your break even point would most likely be much less then that. your paying more for a truck up front that is going to be worth more in the used market.

is trading in the truck still a good idea for the OP...probably not. but i cant see trading in a vehicle that you've only owned for a few months a good idea for anybody.

:roflsquared:

that is straight up the PREMIUM costs of the motor alone, i needed to drive 125k thousand miles, to account for the INITIAL premium over a Hemi motor

im not even accounting in the extra DEF used, the higher costs of oil changes (alot more quarts of oil), and the extra $1+ in diesel costs for EVERY GALLON i ever put into that truck.

trust me, if you think a ecodiesel was better then a hemi, your way wrong, considering the hemi tows more then a ecodiesel, it may get worst mpg while doing it, but the hemi has the higher payload capacity

the ecodiesel was a good idea but there is a reason ALL mfg stopped making diesels for anything other then 1/2 ton trucks

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Higher resale value is still up in the air. Give it another couple years to see if that's the case. I would imagine it would be higher, but no one knows yet.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

i see your point. its too early to tell exactly what the used market will bring on them. however, just about every vehicle out there with a diesel option has has trended this way so i would think that its a pretty safe assumption.

:roflsquared:

that is straight up the PREMIUM costs of the motor alone, i needed to drive 125k thousand miles, to account for the INITIAL premium over a Hemi motor

im not even accounting in the extra DEF used, the higher costs of oil changes (alot more quarts of oil), and the extra $1+ in diesel costs for EVERY GALLON i ever put into that truck.

trust me, if you think a ecodiesel was better then a hemi, your way wrong, considering the hemi tows more then a ecodiesel, it may get worst mpg while doing it, but the hemi has the higher payload capacity

the ecodiesel was a good idea but there is a reason ALL mfg stopped making diesels for anything other then 1/2 ton trucks

reading comprehension isnt your strong point. yes, the initial premium is higher, but lets say for arguments sake its a $5k premium for the ecodiesel. 4 years down the line you go to sell the truck, we'll say the ecodiesel is worth $3k more then the hemi. your break even cost should technically be based upon the $2k difference, and not the initial premium, unless of course you plan on keeping the truck for life. that's my point.

arguing which truck is better is a moot point. everyone will have a different opinion on that. if you want to argue that the hemi is faster and has a higher tow rating, sure thats true. but to be honest, if your reason for buying the hemi over the ecodiesel is the slightly higher tow rating, your probably should be buying a 2500 instead.

also, the last line you wrote doesnt make sense as its written, but i understand what you meant and your wrong. chevy was the only company to ever offer a diesel in a half ton (prior to the ecodiesel). it wasnt a big seller, but to be fair none of the gm diesels of that time were very popular. ram isnt the only company coming out with small diesels. nissan has the diesel titan coming out next year. chevy has the diesel colorado coming out (im sure well see a diesel 1500). same goes for ford, they have a diesel coming out for the transit van which might make its way into the f150.