Emergency Tool Kit for Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brearlymason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought my Ram in December and previously had a Chevy Tahoe. I carried a large socket set and various other tools in the back of my Tahoe. With my new Ram the socket set and my other tools will not fit under the rear seat. I don't want to carry them in the bed, and want to use the space under the seat. What tools and other emergency gear are you guys carrying and where are you putting it? I obviously don't have the Ram Box bed and I would like to concentrate on keeping everything inside the truck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4x4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if you have one tool and one tool only, make sure its a 10mm socket haha. other then that i carry a full socket set and bunch of screw drivers and a multimeter in the bed

retiredfireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'd carry a 10 mm, 12 mm and maybe a 14 mm socket/wrenches. Pliers and a pair of screwdrivers. Pretty much look at all the fasteners and think what might be useful for them. Most people that carry full sets of any tools are carrying too much.
Rags/shop towels and gloves.

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm in the same boat, I keep a rubber maid bin in the bed. ( I have a bed cover). But under the seats is a standard and metric socket set. Lg and sm Phillips, duct tape, zip ties, bottle of water, and if not for the next two. My 3rd gen woulda left me stranded with out these.......a spare belt and idler pulley, My top one exploded at 70k. Bottom one at 100k. Bolth times it shredded the belt. Other then that. Just a tow strap

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
tool kit that sounds like a good idea.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
I have a toolbox under the bedcover...I keep cleaning crap, a pair of coveralls for dirty work if I'm in nice clothes, a 150 piece tool set, floor jack, jumper cables, misc electrical connections/fuses/tools and some other nic-nac junk.

Big Green

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hidden away within the confines of my Ram's tool box is a 40mm ammo can repurposed as my jump/tire kit, a collapsible shovel, some bungee straps, and a Kobalt Xtreme Access socket set which has 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive sockets, bits, and adapters. The jump/tire kit contains a set of 4 Gauge jumper cables, a Viair 85P air compressor, needle nose pliers, and a tire plug kit with plenty of spare plugs. All of these items rest on a mat of thin slip-resistant material. I know this sounds like a lot, but it only takes up a small portion of my tool box. There is still plenty enough room to store a propane cylinder so it isn't sliding around in the truck bed where someone could just grab it and still have room to spare inside the tool box. I've thought about keeping a spare belt on hand, but with just over 4700 miles on her odometer, I haven't been in a rush to do it.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I carry a 180 pc tool set with wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc. One gallon of water, silicon sealant, a 5 gallon tank of compressed air with an on board compressor, tire chains, shovel, a DMM, wire stripper, extra wire, butt connectors (etc), a HI-LIFT jack (always a life saver), regular tow/tie down chains, binders, tow strap, shovel, COLD WEATHER GEAR, and much more. Then again, I am from a ranch in Montana where it is easy to get stuck in the middle of no where, or be the person who can help someone else who is stuck/broken down.

boomer135

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport CC 4x4
Engine
Im carrying tools in the small boxes under the rear floor mats. on the opossite side I like how the storage container hold a 1 Gallon container of antifreeze. Also I plan to do the Modification to the rear seats so I can fold the rear down and use that for more hidden storage.

highlandchef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
AAA card. Fits in the under seat bin with no problem. :gr_grin:

Seriously though, I carry a basic set of tools under the seat. Instead of the case I have a canvas roll with pockets. It takes up much less space. I also have a disposable set of coveralls, reflective vest, an LED work light, silicon tape and a recovery strap in there. In the corner of the bed I have a jumper box/inflator, flares, entrenching tool, gallon of water etc. I always carry a first aid kit and a small survival kit.

I drive a lot, frequently at night and some of the New England roads can be pretty quiet at 0300 so the truck is also equipped with a Wilson 3 watt mobile booster and a CB.

None of it takes up a lot of room and luckily I haven't needed most of it for my self but I've come across a few folks who were glad I carried what I did.

highlandchef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This may or may not help some of you.

Thanks for the heads up. I'd been considering the BakBox for under my BakFlip but I think I like these better. They don't require emptying and folding away to use the length of the bed.

They're now on my ever-growing Amazon wish list.

Last edited:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Everyone likes it, but has anyone actually used them yet ??

brandon.colt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Gerber multi tool, flash light, chem light, tow straps, 900amp battery jump box with air compressor, fixed blade knifes, 1 9mm & 1 .40 mag. ;)

Oliver_Closov

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 w/6.4ft bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd love to revive this thread and see if anyone else has ideas.
Some say only a few sockets/wrenches, while others rec'd an entire tool set.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I know it's large but I have ALL my emergency supplies (tools, water, blankets, first aid kit, extra clothing, tire chains, plastic bags etc..) in this husky box from Home Depot in the bed. It's nice to have it all one place. I like to be prepared for any situation especially since my wife is a nurse and we have stopped to give aid a few times at car accidents prior to the emergency responders arriving.

husky.jpg

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My tools are stored under the driver seat and in the two floor bins. They consist of:

1. Dewalt 3/8 ratchet set DWMT73804
2. Needle nose
3. Medium vise
4. Noco gb40
5. Tow shackle
6. Tow strap
7. Head lamp, floor lamp and flash light
8. Swiss knife
9. First aid kit
10. 2 pairs of ratchet straps
11. Adjustable hitch

Latest posts