Extended warranties

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Looking to buy a 2017 RAM 2500 Laramie CC 4X4 CTD to tow a 9000lb travel trailer. I have a question about long term warranties.

For the last 40 years, my practice has been to buy something good, maintain the heck out of it, and keep it forever. Been doing my own work on our cars, trucks, and motorcycles.

But when I lifted the hood on the Cummins...I just scratched my head. Plus all the electronics in this thing…

I never buy extended warranties. Now I think I will. Thoughts and recommendations on extended warranties?

Bob

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is a good place to start.

Chryslerwarranties.com

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Looking to buy a 2017 RAM 2500 Laramie CC 4X4 CTD to tow a 9000lb travel trailer. I have a question about long term warranties.

For the last 40 years, my practice has been to buy something good, maintain the heck out of it, and keep it forever. Been doing my own work on our cars, trucks, and motorcycles.

But when I lifted the hood on the Cummins...I just scratched my head. Plus all the electronics in this thing…

I never buy extended warranties. Now I think I will. Thoughts and recommendations on extended warranties?

Bob

I did a lot of shopping around and found the best deal at chryslerwarrantydirect. Beat everyone else's price by hundreds with a full premium refund at the end if no claims submitted.

JustB_rad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Clay Robbins at Zeller Motors in Arkansas City, KS is the cheapest out there. He comes in $50 cheaper than anybody on the internet.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your dealer wants your business they will match these prices also. Any ext warranty is negotiable. keep in mind also that if you get it at the same dealer as you get the truck from you can roll it into your loan.

i look at it like its a gamble you may need it you may not. no one ever knows.

MyRAMatDunkinDonuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMO, a lifetime MOPAR service contract is a steal at under 3k on a 50k truck. Again, my opinion, it's cheap insurance that makes me feel better...

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Most places on line you can get payments with no interest.

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found out today Chrysler does not offer a lifetime max care warranty on diesel products. The most they will do is 8 year or 125,000 miles. I was wanting to put my lifetime Care max warranty on my 1500 on the 2500 and that's when I found this information out.

OP
OP
B

Bob57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thanks guys. Glad to hear folks think it is reasonable. Had always thought long term insurance was just another money maker for the industry. But this 2017 RAM is so complicated. What happened to simple?

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Clay Robbins at Zeller Motors in Arkansas City, KS is the cheapest out there. He comes in $50 cheaper than anybody on the internet.

at least......

my current dealer doesn't even sell them...they sell some 3rd party junk

they wouldn't even return my calls about buying one thru them

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
one othet thing to keep in mind....that 8 yr max they will do on a diesel....I am 99% sure that 8 yrs starts the day you buy the truck...NOT the warranty, as they all go from the in service date

so if you buy the warranty @ the 3 yr point, it isn't 11 yrs of coverage, it is only 8

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
one othet thing to keep in mind....that 8 yr max they will do on a diesel....I am 99% sure that 8 yrs starts the day you buy the truck...NOT the warranty, as they all go from the in service date

so if you buy the warranty @ the 3 yr point, it isn't 11 yrs of coverage, it is only 8
I bought my 2012 Ram 1500 Reg Cab with only 32k miles on it on 12/09/16. I really wanted the peace of mind of a warranty. The factory 5 year bumper to bumper was set to expire on 02/12/17, as it started the day the original owner bought the truck. That meant I only had roughly 3 months of bumper to bumper coverage left and that was not ok with me. The factory drivetrain warranty still has 68k miles left on it but it only covers the engine/trans/rear.

So I bought an extended bumper to bumper warranty, I picked the highest "Premium Coverage Package" they had that is for 5yrs from the date of my purchase or 100k miles (I asked and made sure that it was 100k on top of what the truck already had, making it 132k total), whichever comes first. Everything is covered except the usual stuff like the windows, brake pads & rotors, bulbs, etc... all the "small wear & tear" stuff. It specifically listed ball joints, tie rods etc. as being covered. Also the k&n intake and the flowmasters exhaust were not covered because they are aftermarket.

For those 5yrs/100k I can bring the truck to any repair shop I want too in the country and i only have to pay a $100 deductible. But... if I bring my truck to the dealer i bought my truck at, then they will wave the $100 deductible and all my warranty work is free!! I also have free unlimited towing to the nearest Chrysler/Dodge/Ram certified repair shop. I get a free "no hassle" rental car no matter where I'm at in the country, for aslong as my repairs take and I also get upto 3 nights of free hotel coverage, for each warranty claim, if I'm outside of 250 miles from the trucks registered address (my house).

All of that for only $3k. That wasn't too bad, considering its a used truck with 32k miles on it. I have ZERO worries about anything for atleast 5 years. Plus the main stuff, the engine, trans and rear still fall under Chrysler's Factory Warranty until 100k.

I don't care what others have paid, or what kind of deals they got, or if you think i "overpaid" for my aftermarket warranty, all I care about is I'm happy as **** that for $3k I can comfortably drive anywhere and not have to constantly worry about something breaking and being stranded somewhere or be afraid to drive my truck hard once and awhile in fear that something might break.

Long story short; I bought a 12' Ram with 32k miles and bought a "premium" aftermarket warranty for $3k and I'm super happy that I got the extended warranty and everything it came with.

Sent from hell via TapATalk

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I bought my 2012 Ram 1500 Reg Cab with only 32k miles on it on 12/09/16. I really wanted the peace of mind of a warranty. The factory 5 year bumper to bumper was set to expire on 02/12/17, as it started the day the original owner bought the truck. That meant I only had roughly 3 months of bumper to bumper coverage left and that was not ok with me. The factory drivetrain warranty still has 68k miles left on it but it only covers the engine/trans/rear.

So I bought an extended bumper to bumper warranty, I picked the highest "Premium Coverage Package" they had that is for 5yrs from the date of my purchase or 100k miles (I asked and made sure that it was 100k on top of what the truck already had, making it 132k total), whichever comes first. Everything is covered except the usual stuff like the windows, brake pads & rotors, bulbs, etc... all the "small wear & tear" stuff. It specifically listed ball joints, tie rods etc. as being covered. Also the k&n intake and the flowmasters exhaust were not covered because they are aftermarket.

For those 5yrs/100k I can bring the truck to any repair shop I want too in the country and i only have to pay a $100 deductible. But... if I bring my truck to the dealer i bought my truck at, then they will wave the $100 deductible and all my warranty work is free!! I also have free unlimited towing to the nearest Chrysler/Dodge/Ram certified repair shop. I get a free "no hassle" rental car no matter where I'm at in the country, for aslong as my repairs take and I also get upto 3 nights of free hotel coverage, for each warranty claim, if I'm outside of 250 miles from the trucks registered address (my house).

All of that for only $3k. That wasn't too bad, considering its a used truck with 32k miles on it. I have ZERO worries about anything for atleast 5 years. Plus the main stuff, the engine, trans and rear still fall under Chrysler's Factory Warranty until 100k.

I don't care what others have paid, or what kind of deals they got, or if you think i "overpaid" for my aftermarket warranty, all I care about is I'm happy as **** that for $3k I can comfortably drive anywhere and not have to constantly worry about something breaking and being stranded somewhere or be afraid to drive my truck hard once and awhile in fear that something might break.

Long story short; I bought a 12' Ram with 32k miles and bought a "premium" aftermarket warranty for $3k and I'm super happy that I got the extended warranty and everything it came with.

What's the name of the warrant company?

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What's the name of the warrant company?
I'd have to go get the pamphlet out of my glove box and it's 15 degrees outside and I'm in bed lol... I'll have to get back to you with that tomorrow.

Smxtmpr34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I went for it, too many computers and BS on board not to

OP
OP
B

Bob57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Great discussion guys. Visited dealer again today. Almost ready to buy.

Dealer gives No-Charge Lifetime Powertrain Warranty as part of the purchase price . And for about $2800, you can add a lifetime wrap (bumper to bumper stuff).

I'm buying a 2017 2500 Laramie CC 4X4 CTD. There was no mention of truncated warranty period based on the truck being a diesel...

Bob

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Dealer gives No-Charge Lifetime Powertrain Warranty as part of the purchase price . And for about $2800, you can add a lifetime wrap (bumper to bumper stuff).

I'm buying a 2017 2500 Laramie CC 4X4 CTD. There was no mention of truncated warranty period based on the truck being a diesel...

Bob

You might want to ask about the lifetime with the diesel. Have always heard they didn't do the Chrysler lifetime.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

Bob

Be warned, so called dealer provided warranties usually have stipulations and requirements that "ALL" scheduled maintenance be done by the dealer. It is a money maker for them. When push comes to shove and you need them to step up for something expensive, they will pick the fly **** out of the pepper and find a reason to deny.

Do not count on any dealer provided warranty. If you want anything past the factory FCA warranty, buy a FCA approved one.

OP
OP
B

Bob57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Be warned, so called dealer provided warranties usually have stipulations and requirements that "ALL" scheduled maintenance be done by the dealer. It is a money maker for them. When push comes to shove and you need them to step up for something expensive, they will pick the fly **** out of the pepper and find a reason to deny.

Do not count on any dealer provided warranty. If you want anything past the factory FCA warranty, buy a FCA approved one.

yeah - I'm leery. Have never purchased an extended warranty. And also have always done my own maintenance.

But I'm getting older (lazier) and not even sure this monster will even fit into my garage.