Extended Warranties worth it on used Ram's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

pepsiracer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check out this site, New 2017 - 2016 Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, RAM Cars for Sale in Caldwell, ID | Dennis Dillon Chrysler Jeep Dodge Dealer in Caldwell serving Boise and Nampa

They have a sticker price on one truck for $42k and sale price down to $29 k, Crew cab, 4x4 Might be worth the trip to buy here

Ya those are some great deals. The one that fits what I'm looking for is $36k. I'm on white for sure. Boise is about 6 hours from me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
Extended warranties are a ploy for the manufacturers to make more money. Ask your investment banker what he thinks of extended warranties. They where dreamed up to part you from your hard earned money.
I know you always here about the one guy that had a transmission blow up that it covered but the odds are in they're favor that you will never need a large enough repair to pay for the extended warranty and the manufacturers are betting on it also or they wouldn't offer them.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Extended warranties are a ploy for the manufacturers to make more money. Ask your investment banker what he thinks of extended warranties. They where dreamed up to part you from your hard earned money.
I know you always here about the one guy that had a transmission blow up that it covered but the odds are in they're favor that you will never need a large enough repair to pay for the extended warranty and the manufacturers are betting on it also or they wouldn't offer them.
Maybe aftermarket warranties, but the maxcare is pretty straight forward. But generally they're only good if it's a vehicle you plan on keeping for a while. I've got one on my 2007 Ram and use that on a new transmission. So that would pay for itself and then some

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn, that price is about what I paid for my Big Horn CC in 2014 new. Have you priced new ones?

OP
OP
P

pepsiracer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya new Sports are roughly $36k in my area and locally no one has one so either I gotta drive 4 hours or have one delivered

The used one I posted I can get for $29k + taxes, etc

Just 55k miles is a tad high so I backed out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
I've got one on my 2007 Ram and use that on a new transmission. So that would pay for itself and then some.

I think that's what I said and if you are saying you got a new transmission then you are the one that 1 guy, if Ram lost money on every warranty they wouldn't sell them, they know chances are they are going to keep most of your money most of the time.

jimsummers74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
what about Chrysler warranty Direct ? any thoughts on them. They offer the "official warranty" (lifetime bumper to bumper) for about 1000 less than my dealer.

jimsummers74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Extended Warranties

Lately I called my local Lithia Ram dealer to ask about Ext Warranties. he told me that he wasn't allowed to mark-up the warranties by Lithia Corporate policy. So, he said the price he quoted me was the lowest I could find an "official, real, Chrysler/Mopar" factory warranty.

Wrong. I've been researching since Jan '16, and Chrysler Warranty Direct, (888) 352-6103 was recommended on other Jeep, Chrysler websites. I just purchased my warranty from them, for over $1000 less than my local dealer. Ask for Rodney or Diane (husband & wife), if you want to know why Lithia says their price is really the lowest. It isn't.

Recon12

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Experience with repair cost

On my last truck, which was a Chevy half ton, I liked it very much and was generally trouble free. I kept it for many years and she was out of warranty when the ABS light came on. I took her to the dealer and the estimate was for $2500 to fix which included master cylinder and ABS box and labor.

Well now, that is enough to buy a lifetime warranty.

An independent shop would maybe be less, I know, but the dealer repair is better for me.

My Ram is much more complicated than that Chevy was. I have air-suspension and almost every option. The Mopar max care lifetime warranty with a $200 deductible will run about $2600 quoted from a Mopar dealer, and i'm thinking it will be a good investment if I keep the truck for 10 years which is very likely as I really like it.