Extended Warranty - Chrysler Maximum Care

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VT6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I bought my truck a month ago and opted for a 120k mile 8 year Chrysler Maximum Care warranty. It was $2,400 and I was pretty skeptical because all they had at the dealership was a brochure but they assured me the paperwork would follow and I would have the opportunity to cancel within 60 days.

So I got the paperwork and read the fine print. The warranty covers everything you'd imagine but one term has me nervous:

"The plan will not cover, or apply to loss or expenses resulting from....Repairs required as a result of other than manufacturing defect (such as a design defect or normal wear)"

The fact that design defects don't count is absurd. Example: the GM 4l60e transmission is trash and was known to fail as early as 50k miles especially when plowed with. It was a design defect. If Dodge engineers screw up and a component fails why would this not be eligible?

The 'normal wear and tear' clause is hard to understand. I have a 120k mile warranty. If the balljoints go after 100k miles of towing and plowing I would not be very surprised and would consider that normal wear and tear. So is that not covered either?

Unfortunately another clause is that Chrysler Employees do not have the power to change the terms of the Warranty. So you can get whatever you want in writing from anyone and it doesn't change how they will deal with it.

What I'm looking for is people with the same Maximum Care Warranty who have experience in claims. I am pretty sure I will cancel it, put the cash I spent on it into a Savings account and 'self-insure'. If the motor or tranny goes that $2400 will not cover much but luckily factory warranty is 100k miles on those components anyway.

On another note my truck is at the shop now after 3500 miles because i have whining coming from the rear diff. They are going to replace the ring and pinion and bearings. Anyone looking to regear to 4.10's ?!

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I bought this package when I got mine. I had my passenger seat replaced because of a design defect..basically all they do is enter the part # in their system and it tells them whether its covered under warranty or not. Mine came back as yes, so I got a new seat, free labour and even a Charger from discount rental for the 2 days they had my truck.

Half the time they have no clue until they enter it in that system.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The normal wear thing is what it is..... the "design defect" part to me sounds like a recall. So, the warranty wouldn't cover any item subject to a recall but that would be covered anyway. Almost just a way of Ram/Mopar categorizing things. Just a thought.

I'm with you. I bought the Lifetime Maxcare and am wondering just what it will cover and what it won't when the time comes. If nothing else I get a free rental car when I'm in for service :)

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
The normal wear thing is what it is..... the "design defect" part to me sounds like a recall. So, the warranty wouldn't cover any item subject to a recall but that would be covered anyway. Almost just a way of Ram/Mopar categorizing things. Just a thought.

I'm with you. I bought the Lifetime Maxcare and am wondering just what it will cover and what it won't when the time comes. If nothing else I get a free rental car when I'm in for service :)

Mine has a brochure that shows me what's covered :favorites13: