Factory Air Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Probably a stupid question but I couldn't find an answer anywhere else. Can you add the OEM air suspension after the fact on a 2013 Sport?

I didn't add the option when I ordered my truck for 2 reasons:

1 - Not something I wanted to take a chance on being a brand new option at the time.

2 - It would have put the weight of my truck over 6,000 pounds, and in NY they actually would make me register my vehicle as commercial just because of the weight. The dealers are actually held responsible for registering the vehicle as passenger if they know the truck is overweight, so they won't do it anymore.

Now that I've seen such positive reviews about it I kinda want it haha.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I asked my dealer after I took delivery. Only thing I got was, we'll get back to you.... but never did.

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
save yourself the hassle they still have alot of issues. I just bought a new 2017 Laramie abd the dealer was practically begging to take the factory air truck as they had a bunch of them and are having issues moving them due to the factory air

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
save yourself the hassle they still have alot of issues. I just bought a new 2017 Laramie abd the dealer was practically begging to take the factory air truck as they had a bunch of them and are having issues moving them due to the factory air

Really? That's surprising from the comments I've seen on this forum about it. I have seen people here and there saying theirs is malfunctioning in some way but the majority of the comments I've seen were positive.

I just like the idea of being able to grab a couple extra inches in case I need just that tiny bit of extra clearance mainly because of the low front bumper on the sport.

I'm sure it would be very complicated to add it after the fact and my luck the dealership will probably screw up the install, but I was just curious if it's even an option.

Last edited:

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
majority of the negative comments come from people in the colder climates where the factory air ride seems to breakdown most.

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
majority of the negative comments come from people in the colder climates where the factory air ride seems to breakdown most.

Oh wow I didn't know that. Actual temperature issue or an issue from road salt and stuff like that?

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Anything can be done with enough money.
Yea but can they do it without screwing up my truck? Lol

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh wow I didn't know that. Actual temperature issue or an issue from road salt and stuff like that?

i have read things like frozen bags, electronics issues to frozen lines and the system apparently runs on nitrogen

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
i have read things like frozen bags, electronics issues to frozen lines and the system apparently runs on nitrogen

Good to know. Thanks for the info. I do so much highway driving that I just don't want to do any sort of permanent lift or level, so the system sounds so appealing.

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Depends on the dealer. It might just be cheaper for you to sell your truck and get one with factory air suspension.

Just a guess but I'm sure I'd would be well over $5,000 for the install. I mean, a member was recently quoted $1200 for just remote start.
Problem with buying a new truck (other than obvious additional cost) is that from the factory with this option, the dealer will have to register me as a commercial vehicle under NYS law. Not only is the registration more expensive in that case, but I can't legally drive on a lot of highways in my area with commercial plates.

It's a stupid law but unfortunately once the dealers were being held liable for improper registration, they don't budge for you anymore. Basically under this stupid law, every 2500 is considered a commercial vehicle.

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Basically if I have it done after the fact it's on me to register it properly, and what cop is going to pull over a 1500 because they can just tell I have a non visible option that puts me overweight haha. If I buy it from the dealership they are legally obligated to register it properly.

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Just curious... can't you register it yourself?
Honestly not sure...Never even thought to ask.

2013blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
For the love of god do not get the factory air suspension.
It left my family high and dry. Since day one I've had issues with.
It wasn't until I stopped parking it in a garage did it get critical.
Truck was on the bump stops. Towed to the nearest dealer, 3.5 hrs away.
Said there was a kit to fix the cold climate issue. Also found two bags leaking. This was on a two year old truck.
Got it back road bumpy. Like bad bumpy. Took to dealer again. They aired it up said it was good to go.
Nope wasn't. Took it to another dealer. They had it for almost two weeks. Replaced another bag. Then summer came no issues.
As soon as it was a hint of coldnest out dropped and started bumping again. It was off warranty at this point. I had also. Brought it in prior to this for a inspection before it was off warranty. Was told there was no issues.
So approached the dealership. They tried to charge me some fees as I was off warranty. Said no thanks. They then told me that even though I've had issues since day one with the suspension I would be out of luck being covered.
I phoned the fiat helpline. They told me that was not true. If I could show I've had issues that I would /should be looked after.
I was able to produce five different work orders from various dealerships showing I've brought it in for issues and it was an on going thing.
I told the dealer this. They said bring it in. I told them I would do them one better. I know the deal. The tech is going to plug in a scanner see the air level code. Request to leave the vehicle over night in off road 2 and see where it is low.
I said I would drop it off over night and leave it off road 2 for the tech. But they need to look at it when it's cold in the morning not when it warms up later.
I was told by another dealer to call the. Up and ask them if they had even looked at it by 1. So I did and they hadn't. Said he wasn't surprised and that they were most likely monkeying around to find out who was paying them. Fiat or something I guess
I was Personally done at this point. I traded the truck in with another dealership and got an awd SUV. Sick of the air suspension crap. It's one thing when you live in a city. But I'm isolated and have a family to worry about.
The salesmen told me dodge has had nothing bud problems with their air suspension.
Honestly I feel like the governing bodies need to get involved and either tell dodge fix this issue or take it out of their vehicles before someone is killed
Miss my truck. Have had two rams. Just now with a family I can't put them at risk of being stranded because it's too cold or -1 and somehow that's now too cold and we can't leave our community. Or even drive down the road at higher then 10 mph.
Good luck all. Love dodge. But they need to fix this issue.

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Well if you can't do it, why are you making this thread about wanting to do it?
I can do it after the fact because when I re register it's not like they ask me to weigh the truck. If I buy a new truck with it, the dealership won't be able to do the registration as a passenger vehicle without taking on liability.

I'm asking if it can physically be done after the fact bc that would be my only option if I decided I wanted it.

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Said there was a kit to fix the cold climate issue. Also found two bags leaking. This was on a two year old truck.
Got it back road bumpy. Like bad bumpy. Took to dealer again. They aired it up said it was good to go.
Nope wasn't. Took it to another dealer. They had it for almost two weeks. Replaced another bag. Then summer came no issues.
As soon as it was a hint of coldnest out dropped and started bumping again. It was off warranty at this point. I had also. Brought it in prior to this for a inspection before it was off warranty. Was told there was no issues.
So approached the dealership. They tried to charge me some fees as I was off warranty. Said no thanks. They then told me that even though I've had issues since day one with the suspension I would be out of luck being covered.
I phoned the fiat helpline. They told me that was not true. If I could show I've had issues that I would /should be looked after.
I was able to produce five different work orders from various dealerships showing I've brought it in for issues and it was an on going thing.
I told the dealer this. They said bring it in. I told them I would do them one better. I know the deal. The tech is going to plug in a scanner see the air level code. Request to leave the vehicle over night in off road 2 and see where it is low.
I said I would drop it off over night and leave it off road 2 for the tech. But they need to look at it when it's cold in the morning not when it warms up later.
I was told by another dealer to call the. Up and ask them if they had even looked at it by 1. So I did and they hadn't. Said he wasn't surprised and that they were most likely monkeying around to find out who was paying them. Fiat or something I guess
I was Personally done at this point. I traded the truck in with another dealership and got an awd SUV. Sick of the air suspension crap. It's one thing when you live in a city. But I'm isolated and have a family to worry about.
The salesmen told me dodge has had nothing bud problems with their air suspension.
Honestly I feel like the governing bodies need to get involved and either tell dodge fix this issue or take it out of their vehicles before someone is killed
Miss my truck. Have had two rams. Just now with a family I can't put them at risk of being stranded because it's too cold or -1 and somehow that's now too cold and we can't leave our community. Or even drive down the road at higher then 10 mph.
Wow... Sorry to hear that. I had read mostly good reviews on the suspension but your story is the main reason I didn't bother figuring out the registration issue in NY in the first place. That's exactly what I was worried about.

Nasdaqsam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Nasdaqsam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Is this still an issue in the newer trucks? Wondering if they were able to fix the issues since 2013. Sucks to have issues sorry to hear you are. Hopefully they get you all taken care of. Have you brought it another dealer to be looked at? Different dealer=different mechanic?

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
You can register it standard you do not need to go commercial the law is unladen weight meaning empty. Just keep the Gross under 18k and you will be all set.
Isn't the unladen weight of a crew cab with the air suspension over 6,000 lbs? I think my truck is like 5800 as is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956