Factory Air Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
I also feel this is a mountain out of a mole hole.
What is? My original post was just to find out if it can be done after the fact. It's a fact that NY has these laws and enforces them, and where I live there's actually multiple highways where "commercial" vehicles are not allowed. From what I remember being told at the dealership, the factory air suspension would have put my truck over the 6,000 lb limit but it's possible he was wrong.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OP just throw a set of aftermarket bags on and be done with it. A couple hundred dollars for the bags and that again to have someone install them if you don't want to (although it's reported to be super easy). I've run Firestone 5000s on two trucks and couldn't be happier. This whole thing is an example of a great concept complicated needlessly by the manufacturer.

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
OP just throw a set of aftermarket bags on and be done with it. A couple hundred dollars for the bags and that again to have someone install them if you don't want to (although it's reported to be super easy). I've run Firestone 5000s on two trucks and couldn't be happier. This whole thing is an example of a great concept complicated needlessly by the manufacturer.
Yea clearly I didn't realize how bad the experience has been with the OEM. I'll take a look at alternatives. How do the aftermarket bags work? Do you set the PSI of each bag to the level which gives you your preferred ride and leave it, or is there a way to adjust it up or down easily?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
How do the aftermarket bags work? Do you set the PSI of each bag to the level which gives you your preferred ride and leave it, or is there a way to adjust it up or down easily?

Depends on if your adding load assist airbags to the rear or a full out air bag suspension. If your just looking to level the truck out when hauling heavy loads, load assist airbags are all you need.
With the assist bags you can use a manual fill, you add air as needed when hauling then drop down to 5 psi when empty for minimal impact on ride quality. There are also all-in-one compressor systems(Airlift makes a few) that you can use to inflate/deflate the assist airbags.
You can also go with full blown system that has on board compressor and storage tank. More options like self leveling and multiple ride heights for full airbag suspension systems.

There are several rear assist airbag that bolt on in place of the bump stop with no cutting or drilling.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
21,000 kms on my 2016, and 25,000 on my dad's. Both with factory air ride, 0 issues. Even below -20°C they'll go up into OR2, or drop to entry mode.

We tow a lot, so this has been invaluable. I HATE the look of a squatted truck. With the factory air I'll never have that. Plus I don't have to manually adjust airbags to account for weight.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
See my previous post. You will be fine as it weighs less than 6000 lbs.

Sell it, get the air suspension if you want it so bad or pay crazy money to have it retrofitted.

End thread.
Lol you seem to have an issue with the fact that this thread exists...Do yourself a favor, turn off the notifications, problem solved.

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
You should have just asked what the weight of the ram with the air suspension was
Pretty sure I mentioned that the dealer had told me from the get go it would be over 6,000 lbs. They may have been wrong...I don't know, but there's nowhere I can see online where you can get the exact weight of the vehicle with all combinations of available options. So unless you know for a fact that it's under 6,000 lbs with the air suspension, I guess we'll just stick with what the dealer told me for now.

Very easy to turn off thread notifications...Give it a try. Appreciate your input.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2014 crew cab outdoorsman with the air suspension and with the short bed and it lists the payload at 1081 lbs, so given a 6900 GVWR the truck is less than 6000 lbs. I have actually had I think across a scale and with all my crap in the truck and a full tank of fuel it comes out to about 5900 lbs.

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
I have a 2014 crew cab outdoorsman with the air suspension and with the short bed and it lists the payload at 1081 lbs, so given a 6900 GVWR the truck is less than 6000 lbs. I have actually had I think across a scale and with all my crap in the truck and a full tank of fuel it comes out to about 5900 lbs.
OK cool thanks for the info. Maybe it was the air suspension And RAM Boxes that put it over, not just the air suspension.

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
How has your experience been with the air suspension?

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is what the poster said

It's entirely possible they had 230 pounds of crap in their truck.

Again, you're fine.

I have a tonneau cover added, two trailer hitch shanks, tie downs, tow straps, etc in the truck so I cloud be close to 200 lbs over what the brochure states.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How has your experience been with the air suspension?

I've had the truck since March 2015 and have been through cold temperatures a number of times since then and have had no issues over the 33,000 km. This week it has been down to -20C (-5F) and I don't have any problems or error codes.

I love itmfor towing our boat, it levels the truck out perfectly and is nice to be able to raise it up a couple inches to help hook up or when needed to launch.

Sowardcustoms

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
If your truck isnt 4wd you wouldnt be able to add all the air ride stuff specifically the front air struts. The 2wd air ride trucks use the 4wd frame with a strut type front suspension. I have a 2wd truck that I was going to add as much of the oem stuff as I could and run ridetech front air kit and tie it in to the factory system. You could buy everything and install everything but the problem is telling the truck that it has air ride. That is possible but it takes a chrysler star center tech to bring his computer hook up to the truck and download the software. Any code that doesnt come up at the dealer level requires this thats why its so hard to get done. I have access to a chrysler rep but still scraped the plan and went all aftermarket. I seen someone comment it was just a couple hundred dollars for rear bags thats not going to get you anywhere close to what you want to do. I have over $4,000 in my suspension so far and its still not done lol...

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
If your truck isnt 4wd you wouldnt be able to add all the air ride stuff specifically the front air struts. The 2wd air ride trucks use the 4wd frame with a strut type front suspension. I have a 2wd truck that I was going to add as much of the oem stuff as I could and run ridetech front air kit and tie it in to the factory system. You could buy everything and install everything but the problem is telling the truck that it has air ride. That is possible but it takes a chrysler star center tech to bring his computer hook up to the truck and download the software. Any code that doesnt come up at the dealer level requires this thats why its so hard to get done. I have access to a chrysler rep but still scraped the plan and went all aftermarket. I seen someone comment it was just a couple hundred dollars for rear bags thats not going to get you anywhere close to what you want to do. I have over $4,000 in my suspension so far and its still not done lol...
Thanks for the info! That's what I was looking to find out. So it IS possible if I wanted to look into doing it but it sounds like it's a PIA...I do have a 4x4.

Guess I'll start looking into aftermarket stuff. Like I said initially I just liked the idea of being able to lift it 2 inches on demand if I wanted to or have it lower a bit on the highway or when parked. I've noticed as my babygirl gets older (she's 3 months now) the car seat is getting a little heavier for my out of shape body to lift up into the truck haha.

2013blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is this still an issue in the newer trucks? Wondering if they were able to fix the issues since 2013. Sucks to have issues sorry to hear you are. Hopefully they get you all taken care of. Have you brought it another dealer to be looked at? Different dealer=different mechanic?

It was taken to three different dealerships.
Traded and now. Rocking an SUV

swargo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 13 sport with factory air, crew cab with the 6' 4" bed (so the largest configuration). Unladen weight is 5,441. Adding a Rambox would put it @ 5,626. Sounds like your dealer was misinformed. It looks like the only configuration that puts it over 6k is with the 3.0 diesel.

Never has any issues with the suspension, and I too live in a cold weather climate. 60,000 so far.

Sounds like the easiest way to get what you want is to trade it in for one with that option. It would probably be cheaper too.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am here in snowy west michigan, and so far the air ride suspension is work great, even when it is below 10 degrees in my 16 Rebel..

OP
OP
ss12108

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
I have a 13 sport with factory air, crew cab with the 6' 4" bed (so the largest configuration). Unladen weight is 5,441. Adding a Rambox would put it @ 5,626. Sounds like your dealer was misinformed. It looks like the only configuration that puts it over 6k is with the 3.0 diesel.

Never has any issues with the suspension, and I too live in a cold weather climate. 60,000 so far.

Sounds like the easiest way to get what you want is to trade it in for one with that option. It would probably be cheaper too.
Yea that's definitely a good possibility.

It definitely won't be cheaper to get a new truck considering depreciation and interest on financing but it also may not be cost effective at all to try and add it to my existing truck. No way the wife is accepting another new truck for me before I replace her SUV either, plus this is my first truck so I'm kinda attached to her haha.

Thanks again for the info...It's good to know if the opportunity comes up.