FCA resumes Ram 1500 diesel output

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
EcoDiesel engine reliability leaves a lot to be desired. Check on the EcoDiesel forum for more details. I owned one and loved it, but the constant fear of when it was going to blow up was more than I cared to deal with. They seemed to go without any warning. I hope they get if figured out. It is a great combination of torque and fuel mileage...

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
EcoDiesel engine reliability leaves a lot to be desired. Check on the EcoDiesel forum for more details. I owned one and loved it, but the constant fear of when it was going to blow up was more than I cared to deal with. They seemed to go without any warning. I hope they get if figured out. It is a great combination of torque and fuel mileage...

Rumor on the streets of Detroit is saying the ECODiesel has been redesigned for the 2018 MY and they are dropping the ECO name.

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
The problem with any diesel is cost. If they didn't cost thousands more to buy then thousands more to service you could make a good case for them. A diesel is the right tool if you tow frequently but I think the gasers make a lot more sense in a light duty truck.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The problem with any diesel is cost. If they didn't cost thousands more to buy then thousands more to service you could make a good case for them. A diesel is the right tool if you tow frequently but I think the gasers make a lot more sense in a light duty truck.

the EPA has destroyed the advantages to diesels imho.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

I disagree with your comment about diesel service costs. I can change oil (Rotella T6 and Mopar filter) for about $57 when I buy the items on sale. The fuel filters are $70 on sale. The change out period is every 15K miles compared to the Hemi at around 7K miles. Not a big delta, not worth a conversation.

The ECOdiesel was marketed to the service shop industry, they needed a better MPG truck for their service calls. In this application, the ECO would pay for itself.

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I disagree with your comment about diesel service costs. I can change oil (Rotella T6 and Mopar filter) for about $57 when I buy the items on sale. The fuel filters are $70 on sale. The change out period is every 15K miles compared to the Hemi at around 7K miles. Not a big delta, not worth a conversation.

The ECOdiesel was marketed to the service shop industry, they needed a better MPG truck for their service calls. In this application, the ECO would pay for itself.

I doubt if there is a huge difference on the regular scheduled service. If so, as you point out, the delta is not significant.

But just wait until any major work needs to be performed on that engine. The cash register will be ringing, you will be waiting for parts, and your pocket will be smoking. Just ask anyone who works on them.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think in the future Ram will offer 2 different types of diesels for the 1/2 ton game, a engine like the ecodiesel that is built for fuel economy and another that is built for towing and hauling id imagine the difference would be +/- 3mpg and maybe +/- 10hp, +/- 50lbs tourqe

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Rumor on the streets of Detroit is saying the ECODiesel has been redesigned for the 2018 MY and they are dropping the ECO name.

Ive heard this too. Hopefully it's true. Ram needs to now refresh the image of the motor from the PR ****. Still wish they had a smaller Cummins option in the 1500 lol.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
But just wait until any major work needs to be performed on that engine. The cash register will be ringing, you will be waiting for parts, and your pocket will be smoking. Just ask anyone who works on them.

Not me, I won't be reaching into my pocket, I have a Cummins.

Ive heard this too. Hopefully it's true. Ram needs to now refresh the image of the motor from the PR ****. Still wish they had a smaller Cummins option in the 1500 lol.

I think the ISB is as small as Cummins goes excluding the V8 they put in the Nissan which has not been a success. It doesn't seem Cummins is interested in building something for the half ton market but you never know. That little Duramax GM is putting in the small pickups is earning a good reputation.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Only way to know how good a diesel truly is is to delete it. Otherwise everyone seems to be a ticking time bomb for emissions crap.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Only way to know how good a diesel truly is is to delete it. Otherwise everyone seems to be a ticking time bomb for emissions crap.

I don't think that is true. Why? I spent a career in automotive and the one recurring theme was always money, how can we shave a few more cents off this part and that part, it never ends.

It's common knowledge not to buy the first-year production of a new or redesigned model, the though is let them work the bugs out. Usually, those bugs are worked out within 180 days of production start. After the 180 days, they start with the cost savings and incorporate the cost savings into the following model years. Buy a new or redesigned model in the second half of the production year.

Late model diesel designs now process emissions in the exhaust, downstream from the engine. The engine is once again tuned for efficiency and performance. Yes, there is still an EGR (Cummins has eliminated it in new engines) but if you have a late model diesel, take a look at the EGR commanded values, very minimal.

If the automakers put reasonable resources into the exhaust treatment, like Cummins does for the OTR industry, there wouldn't be an issue like we see with the Cummins/RAM law suites while we hang in the balance.

Skerj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
i wonder how the tweaks hurt drivability and mpg.

Probably best to let others bring their trucks in first... If I had an EcoDiesel, I would do my best to never let the dealer into the computer once this is all figured out...

While I can appreciate the goal, at least in name, (environmental protection part anyway) of the epa, they are trying way too hard to maintain power and relevance. They need to get back to scrubbing ducks and let capitalist competition run it's course.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably best to let others bring their trucks in first... If I had an EcoDiesel, I would do my best to never let the dealer into the computer once this is all figured out...

While I can appreciate the goal, at least in name, (environmental protection part anyway) of the epa, they are trying way too hard to maintain power and relevance. They need to get back to scrubbing ducks and let capitalist competition run it's course.

Because global warming is all a lie, right?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't think that is true. Why? I spent a career in automotive and the one recurring theme was always money, how can we shave a few more cents off this part and that part, it never ends.

It's common knowledge not to buy the first-year production of a new or redesigned model, the though is let them work the bugs out. Usually, those bugs are worked out within 180 days of production start. After the 180 days, they start with the cost savings and incorporate the cost savings into the following model years. Buy a new or redesigned model in the second half of the production year.

Late model diesel designs now process emissions in the exhaust, downstream from the engine. The engine is once again tuned for efficiency and performance. Yes, there is still an EGR (Cummins has eliminated it in new engines) but if you have a late model diesel, take a look at the EGR commanded values, very minimal.

If the automakers put reasonable resources into the exhaust treatment, like Cummins does for the OTR industry, there wouldn't be an issue like we see with the Cummins/RAM law suites while we hang in the balance.

took a bit longer than 180 days to get the 9 speed transmission correct in the Cherokee, 200, renegade, eat..... just saying....

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Because global warming is all a lie, right?

Anyone who blames the guy driving a diesel truck or a muscle car for global warming is ignorant. There are so many factors involved and a lot of the major ones are the last thing people go after because it doesnt line up with their politics. Blaming a truck or a fast car is the easy thing to do and thats why people do it. Then they probably go and litter or waste electricity or water. Obviously combustion engines contribute to pollution. We all already knew that.

I'm all for emissions equipment on newer trucks if it works but also doesnt defeat the purpose of owning a diesel. Modern diesels are insane and have huge amounts of power. There's a ton of potential but there is still work to be done. No one buys a diesels and wants to have it sitting in a dealership shop for a week because of emissions related electronic errors.