FCA resumes Ram 1500 diesel output

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Actually, I think the reasons the EPA considers Diesel as undesirable has nothing to do with global warming. The greater MPG of the diesel would actually benefit the fleet milage goals.

Diesels are dirty from a particulate standpoint. Their emissions statistically kill a certain number of people per year, just as burning coal does. At least in industrial use, there is a concerted effort to move over to natural gas due to the cleaner burning nature of the fuel.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I saw on Top Gear that a Prius has a bigger carbon foot print than most other cars due to the mining of the nickel, shipping it around the world to china and Japan for processing and finally back on a boat to North America. In a road test around the track the Prius used more gas than a BMW M3 doing th me equivalent speed. Just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I saw on Top Gear that a Prius has a bigger carbon foot print than most other cars due to the mining of the nickel, shipping it around the world to china and Japan for processing and finally back on a boat to North America. In a road test around the track the Prius used more gas than a BMW M3 doing th me equivalent speed. Just sayin

I can believe it... chasing carbon footprint is a can of worms. Only a government bureaucrat would be fond of the prospect of going down that rabbit hole.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I can believe it... chasing carbon footprint is a can of worms. Only a government bureaucrat would be fond of the prospect of going down that rabbit hole.

Ha ha. I'm all for less fuel consumption as it's cheaper and like I mentioned before it can't be a bad thing. However, when people see these "green" vehicles I think they fail to realize the other effects of production and use.

I'm not gonna lie I do like diesel and I like the Eco diesel. I have a few buddies that have them and only issue ive seen was the DEF fluid would freeze in the great white north.

What's gonna happen to all the depleted and used lithium and other heavy metals in these fancy batteries ?

I honestly think the key to electric is the same as the BMW i3 and in 15-20 years I wouldn't be surprised if that's the standard

Skerj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Because global warming is all a lie, right?

It's fairly well documented that the earth is warming. Whether that's part of the cycle or our fault doesn't matter. My point is that the epa is clawing for power, money, and relevance and is gutting the energy industry and affecting the consumer market in its efforts to set ridiculous regulations and rules (buy any new gas cans lately..? Thanks CARB...). The epas focus should be education and research, not to change the free market. I protect the environment daily in numerous ways, and grew up learning to be a steward of nature. Others could easily do the same, and it's much more effective than trying to stop our pollution, when the rest of the world is much more of a problem and continuing to do absolutely nothing.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I don't think that is true. Why? I spent a career in automotive and the one recurring theme was always money, how can we shave a few more cents off this part and that part, it never ends.

It's common knowledge not to buy the first-year production of a new or redesigned model, the though is let them work the bugs out. Usually, those bugs are worked out within 180 days of production start. After the 180 days, they start with the cost savings and incorporate the cost savings into the following model years. Buy a new or redesigned model in the second half of the production year.

Late model diesel designs now process emissions in the exhaust, downstream from the engine. The engine is once again tuned for efficiency and performance. Yes, there is still an EGR (Cummins has eliminated it in new engines) but if you have a late model diesel, take a look at the EGR commanded values, very minimal.

If the automakers put reasonable resources into the exhaust treatment, like Cummins does for the OTR industry, there wouldn't be an issue like we see with the Cummins/RAM law suites while we hang in the balance.

Sure has taken a long time to get it right on diesels. They have been messed up since 2007 with the 6.7L and the Eco seems to be a good engine minus the emissions crap. I seriously have to wonder what genius developed urea when in the north land it freezes. Think of how many people farm or use diesels to run their business in the north where it freezes. To my knowledge they don't have them in heated tanks or use a antifreeze either. Dumb setup.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's fairly well documented that the earth is warming. Whether that's part of the cycle or our fault doesn't matter.

You know there are still folks around that insisted the earth is flat and all the planets revolve around the earth... denying the global warming is like insisting the world is flat, but its going to take a couple hundred years for it to be though of as just as silly. :)

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Interestingly the diesels used in ORT applications do not have emissions issues because they did it right. I remember CAT pulling out until they could evolve their emissions systems. Cummins, early on, saw the challenge and invested heavily in emission research. Cummins now licenses their emissions technology to other companies (a brilliant move). On the automotive side, greed prevails and the lowest bid gets the work, the result is what we see in today's automotive diesel market, a sea of law suites and stop sales.

This whole climate change/global warming topic, all I can say is before you form an opinion, take a look at the coefficients they use in the models. The first thing you should look for is how the coefficient values were proven out. If you find this info please let me know because I'm still looking for it.

Scientist long ago discovered the climate changes over the years by looking at the ice core they pulled from earth's polls, what we are currently experiencing isn't something that is new or has not occurred before.

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You know there are still folks around that insisted the earth is flat and all the planets revolve around the earth... denying the global warming is like insisting the world is flat, but its going to take a couple hundred years for it to be though of as just as silly. :)

I do not think too many deny there is global warming, but I do think there is debate on the cause. Research has shown the earth had cycles in it's temperature long before MAN arrived. That being said, I agree with not contributing to the issue if possible.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
despite our ideas of global warming, flat earth, epa being money hungy, or how ****** DEF is for those in the north, I think we can all agree we just want very well performing diesel trucks that we can achieve almost anything that we hook up to the trucks. I dont know if there is much as we can do as individuals or even just bloggers on forums, but I believe one day we wont have to worry about DEF or someone in a suit telling someone who wears blue jeans how a truck should work.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting, I wonder if there are any changes to the power / torque output..
Now that Ford has Powerstroke Jr V6 Diesel in the lineup upcoming, it should be an interesting match up.

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting, I wonder if there are any changes to the power / torque output..

Now that Ford has Powerstroke Jr V6 Diesel in the lineup upcoming, it should be an interesting match up.

Is it really called "power stroke jr"?
That's something I could see those ford goons doing [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it really called "power stroke jr"?
That's something I could see those ford goons doing [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

L.. Nope the JR was all Mine, but it is a Powerstroke 3.0 v6

KLEEEEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Bring on global warming and the faster the better, I have always liked the idea of owning a pet dinosaur. Imagine the attention you would get taking him/her out for a daily walk.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've said it once and I'll say it again
F*CK THE EPA LET AMERICA BUILD GREAT TRUCKS USA USA USA!!!!!:flipthebird:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i would still wait before purchasing the ecodiesel. we still have no idea what the new programing is going to do to mpg, drivability or mpg.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel like a broken record on this post,
I still wont be satisfied with half ton Ram diesel until we get the 5.0 Cummins lol
:roflsquared: :crazy: :flipthebird:

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Didn't they have an abnormally high failure rate with the motor, has that been addressed?