Few questions about ordering a new vehicle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Someday in the near future am going to hopefully be ordering my new ride to my specs instead of settling with what the dealership has to offer which makes me wonder since this will be my first time ever to own a brand new vehicle much less order one, how does all this work? Do you have to pay a little bit before you can place your order? Do you talk to your local dealer first about your special order before you place the order for what you want, or what? Other than the options you choose making it cost more, is there typically a higher charge for ordering rather than picking something on the lot?

Also, will it be possible for a dealer to change up a few things from that the website won’t let you do? For example of what I’m talking about, I really like that sport hood....
d02d748b572b424d08b36868fe0990cc.jpg

....but it’s not available on the Laramie (which is what I’m more leaning towards on both the 1500 or2500), or like even on the Limited unless you opt for the Tungsten edition. I mean, if I really wanted the luxurious of the luxurious in the Tungsten, why does it seem like I’m being forced to have to have the body-color door handles, mirrors, front/rear bumpers, the exclusion of the chrome door moldings and the addition of the body-color running boards and body-color ‘RAM’ on the tailgate if I want all that in chrome? I realize it’s more/less what they think the Gemara consensus wood want but I thought that was the whole concept of ordering...[emoji41]

Another example is that I would consider the Limited a little more if I could opt for the 60/40/60 split bench up front but the only available option is the front buckets with the ginormous console between the seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I can answer the hood question....If it is not an available option (which it is not on the Laramie) you can not get it from the factory with that hood. However that does not mean you can't work a deal with your dealer to get one, Paint and install it. And of course that hood only fits on the 1500

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Picking options here and there from option packages is not something most manufacturers do these days. While the option packages are nice, you get what is included. There's very little that can be ordered as a separate item these days if it is already part of an option package.

I have the same issue as I'd like to order one to my spec but what I found is that I have to order one to their spec and I can only pic and choose what year, model, rating and option packages I want.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Recently I have ordered two vehicles from Mopar. Ram 2500 and Charger Scat Pack. The process for both was the same. Talked to the sales guy on the phone and let him know what I wanted to do. Discussed numbers a bit before going down in person to make sure we were all at least on the same page.

Down at the dealership they should sit with you and go over all of the options you want to order on the vehicle. They will then print out something like a “priced order confirmation” which is kind of like a pre build sheet. CHECK THIS OVER 5 TIMES. Make sure this is exactly how you want the truck to be built because this is what they will send to the factory.

For my 2500, they required a deposit of $500. Charger SP was $1000. I believe some vehicles they don’t require any deposit, but be prepared for a possible $500 on the Ram. For my Ram they were able to lock in incentives for me at the time of order.

If you get a decent or above average dealer this process should be pretty painless.

You are correct on the top trim only having the "bucket" seats. The Laramie you can get the "bench" seat. My Laramie has this set up. I like it in a truck. The seats themselves are actually the same on either set up. The only difference is the center console.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can answer the hood question....If it is not an available option (which it is not on the Laramie) you can not get it from the factory with that hood. However that does not mean you can't work a deal with your dealer to get one, Paint and install it. And of course that hood only fits on the 1500

I never priced out a Sport model but I don’t understand why it couldn’t be an option but whatever, it’s cool. I was just curious. It’s really not that big of a deal, I was just more less wondering if it was a dealer-only option.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you’re supposed to talk to a dealer first? Of course I don’t know because I haven’t gone to the next step on the website but I figured the dealership would be interested he next step after that to go over fine tuning and pre-order stuff before an actual order was submitted.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
You can walk in cold and order anything you want. I just called first because it was what I wanted to do. Ordering the Ram was from the same guy I bought the Charger from. So for that I just wanted to actually give him a head's up and talk about the discount.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You use the web site as a source of info and deciding how you want the truck spec'd. Its a good idea to go into the dealer with a good idea what you want, perhaps with a couple questions. The dealer can then confirm that they can order what you want (there are factory restriction on a certain options from time to time), and answer any questions. Most of the questions are something like what is the best way to get a feature you want, buy an upscale model or a down scale and add options. Often buying upscale gets you the feature you need and some additional goodies for near the same cash. Thats been the hard part for me, deciding which way is better for the long run. Its good to have a list of must haves, and nice to haves.

Once the dealer confirms they can and want to order it for you, its time to negotiate price. Nothing wrong in shopping different dealers with your configuration for the best price/value. Oh... they may try to offer you one thats close, or find one nearby. Unless its a special end of month end of quarter time frame where they are trying to meet a quota, its not going to matter as far as price. Just be prepared for their suggestions. When I bought my RAM, I went in with a model and a set of features, and it ended up there was one configured exactly like it except for shade of red. End of quarter good deal I can live with the color :)

Last edited:

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
You use the web site as a source of info

The site has everything you need. When I was getting ready to order I studied everything on the site, every trim, option, which options can/can't be paired to certain trims. Then built the truck the way I wanted it ordered and printed it out to take with me to the dealer. From there all they have to do is look at your build, enter it in the system and then confirm the order with you. After that, sales manager will send the order off to Warren.

As ColdCase said, you may find the dealer has a truck spec'd the same way on the lot, or very close. This is much more likely with 1500s and dealers that have a larger inventory.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I spoke with a salesman the other day so it looks like I may just print off the final draft of what I want and make the dealership the last step in the ordering process. He said it would take 6-8 weeks? I didn’t think it would take that long but whatever. Lol.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I spoke with a salesman the other day so it looks like I may just print off the final draft of what I want and make the dealership the last step in the ordering process. He said it would take 6-8 weeks? I didn’t think it would take that long but whatever. Lol.

6-8 weeks is probably just their general line. Are you ordering a 1/2 ton or HD?

My HD ended up being delivered in exactly 4 weeks. Sales guy told me it was the fastest he's ever seen one come in. My Charger took about 6, So it varies. Right now it may be backed up with the 2018s still being so new.

Sparky853

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 SXT CC 4x4 6'4" Air Suspension
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I custom ordered my Ram, impossible to fine one on the lot with 5.7L CC 4x4 6'4 box with 3.92 limited slip rear end and 4 corner air suspension.

I used the website, walked into the dealer, deal was done within 30 minutes, no hassles, truck arrived in little over 4 weeks.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
6-8 weeks is probably just their general line. Are you ordering a 1/2 ton or HD?

My HD ended up being delivered in exactly 4 weeks. Sales guy told me it was the fastest he's ever seen one come in. My Charger took about 6, So it varies. Right now it may be backed up with the 2018s still being so new.

Although I’m still undecided at this point, it’s most likely going to be a 2018 halfton Laramie but yeah, I didn’t think about all the hundreds of dealer lots out there needing filling of all the new stock. lol.

It’s all gonna come down to test drives that makes final decision. I’m very interested in a 3/4-ton Hemi as well but I just don’t need that much truck. The way I had them priced out, they’re really only within a few thousand dollars difference in price.

I’m really interested in the 8-speed automatic and the 4-corner air ride system on the halfton but I like the idea of a bigger truck in case things changed in my future where a HD would be more ideal than a 1500 but, there’s not a whole lot of fan base when it comes to the 6-speed auto unless making the 4.10 gears a chosen option.

Not interested in a CTD. Well I am, just not with all that emissions crap...lol.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I custom ordered my Ram, impossible to fine one on the lot with 5.7L CC 4x4 6'4 box with 3.92 limited slip rear end and 4 corner air suspension.
I’m just curious but how come you opted for the 3.92 gear ratio over the 3-21’s? I’m considering that same ratio in the gears primarily only for peppier accelerations but I’m concerned a little about cruising speed mileage on the highway. What is your mileage? What kind of RPM’s you turning at 70?

I used the website, walked into the dealer, deal was done within 30 minutes, no hassles, truck arrived in little over 4 weeks.

Nice. Hopefully mine when I order it will come that quick. The anticipation is gonna drive me bonkers. lol.

Sparky853

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I’m just curious but how come you opted for the 3.92 gear ratio over the 3-21’s? I’m considering that same ratio in the gears primarily only for peppier accelerations but I’m concerned a little about cruising speed mileage on the highway. What is your mileage? What kind of RPM’s you turning at 70?

Nice. Hopefully mine when I order it will come that quick. The anticipation is gonna drive me bonkers. lol.

Went with the 3.92 to give me the towing capacity. Good compromise between the fuel mileage of the 3.21 and the towing of the 4.10s.

Runs about 2200 at 105 Km/H, getting 13.5 L/100 kms.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went with the 3.92 to give me the towing capacity. Good compromise between the fuel mileage of the 3.21 and the towing of the 4.10s.

Runs about 2200 at 105 Km/H, getting 13.5 L/100 kms.

So that’s what, little over 65 miles an hour in the final drive gear? Hmm. That sure seems awful high...lol.

I’m not sure what rear-end gears my 2008 half-ton has but I highly doubt they’re that low.

I’d have to wait until Friday afternoon when I drive it home after work to verify it’s 65-mph engine RPM’s but I don’t think it runs that wound out at that speed. I feel real confident in saying that just from the top of my head estimate that at little over 70 mph, I’m barley pushing 2 grand on the tach but again I’d have to wait until the end of the week to verify that.

But at all that you’re averaging just under 17.5 mpg’s? That’s pretty good. And you got the longer short bed. I’m only thinking the short, short-bed..lol.
But that’s a lot better mileage than mine, though. Mine’s lucky to see as little as 16. Lol.

Kinda makes me wonder what the standard 3.21’s would yield for fuel mileage if you weren’t basing a truck off of towing.

So how do you like that 4 corner air-ride? I hear it’s pretty nice riding and pretty neat with all the different user modes.

I see you have the limited-slip rear axle on yours. Does your truck also have the ESP(electronic stability program) as well? I’m just curious because my current truck has the traction-control(ESP stuff), but no limited-slip. I always assumed, and even thought I had heard somewhere that you can’t have both the limited-slip and the ESP because supposedly the two systems would fight each other when they try to work which actually made sense to me which was fine because I was actually kind of glad mine didn’t have that limited slip.

I don’t know how reliable it is nowadays or how much it has changed in the past 10-plus years but that limited slip I had on both a ‘98 Ram halfton and an ‘04 Dakota, they weren’t worth a flip. lol. Got rid of the big Ram before any repairs got done on the rear end but just from some relatively light off-roading, the rear end had to be completely rebuilt on the Dakota. Good thing it was still under an extended warranty.

I don’t do any off-roading at all anymore so hopefully my new Ram won’t have any issues. Lol.

Last edited:

Sparky853

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'll verify the RPMs tomorrow, could be wrong. FYI, I am only running the 6 speed transmission.

Love the 4 corner air. Entry/Exit mode is nice, can load the bed without climbing in, lol. Great for towing, automatically levels the back end.

As for the LSD, yes I have the ESP as well. See how that works once I'm in some snow.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll verify the RPMs tomorrow, could be wrong.
Sounds about right to me.

FYI, I am only running the 6 speed transmission.
Oh? I thought the 1500’s have been using the 8-speed for some time now.

Love the 4 corner air. Entry/Exit mode is nice, can load the bed without climbing in, lol. Great for towing, automatically levels the back end.
I’m chomping at the bit to test drive one that has that and to play with it a little.

As for the LSD, yes I have the ESP as well. See how that works once I'm in some snow.

Yeah, I’m interested in that too.

Sparky853

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sounds about right to me.

Oh? I thought the 1500’s have been using the 8-speed for some time now.

I’m chomping at the bit to test drive one that has that and to play with it a little.

Yeah, I’m interested in that too.

Was high on RPMs. Runs about 1900-2000 at 70 MPH.

6 speed is available on some trim levels, and personally didn't like the rotary shift knob on the 8 speed.

Good luck finding a truck with air suspension to test drive. Not a common option you find sitting a a dealer.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was high on RPMs. Runs about 1900-2000 at 70 MPH.
That’s with 3.92’s? Wow. Maybe mine does have that short of gears.

6 speed is available on some trim levels, and personally didn't like the rotary shift knob on the 8 speed.
I haven’t priced out any 2017’s so maybe that’s why I didn’t the 6-speed as an option. That, and I was only checking out the Limited, Laramie and the Laramie Longhorn models.

Good luck finding a truck with air suspension to test drive. Not a common option you find sitting a a dealer.

I’m sure hoping I find one. I really don’t think I’ll dislike it if I were to blindly order one without first trying it but, I’d really like to compare rides between the air ride and the spring ride models. I’d also like to compare ride qualities on the 3/4-tons between the optional rear air ride system on it and the new rear coil spring systems on them.