Fiat & auto payments

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm kinda to the point where I feel Fiat should reimburse me for time without my truck..... I know this isn't something that happens or is even possible but so far in the little over two years I have had my ram it has spent a total of 3 months in the shop.... That is 3 months I have made my payment on a vehicle I cannot drive... I love my truck but just kinda frustrated at how long it takes to fix the damn thing.
It would be nice if they could implement a program that does this kinda thing. Use it as a sale point to use their financing that if your vehicle is in the shop for warranty work that your payment is prorated and the difference subsidized by RAM ie Fiat, I bet they would make more on interest from people using their financing then they would pay out.... Well maybe.... they should probably fix a few typical trouble parts first.... OK done ********.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In theory this is awesome, they would love to do this, but they can't. And you should be thankful. For one, you sign a contract that outlines the term. You can't turn a 40 month loan into an unknown number on the contract, and for two, they want to be paid back, quickly, your compounded interest would still be rolling, you'd end up paying far more than you expected, and it's even worse for high interest loans. Many people here, thank goodness aren't buying trucks with sub prime rates, but MILLIONS of people do. Imagine having a 19% interest rate on 40k and having to extend the loan just because it was in the shop. You can't defer interest because most states won't allow it, that's why you have to keep paying even if you crash your truck and its totaled, granted in those situations the insurance company will happily assist with offsetting that cost. Tldr: government won't allow it.

jkhcurry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think he said anything about extending the loan terms. Just that if my note was 100 a month and it was in the shop for 15 days that ram would prorate 50 dollars of my loan since I didn't have use of the truck. The part about making more interest is that Ram would sell more loans.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree.

Something should be set in place for "special circumstances" such as this.

Obviously, not everyone would rate it but case by case.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
This is why there are lawyers and courthouses....FCA has a bullseye on their back here in the USA...Our government wants rid of the greaseball ownership...NO EXCUSE for that much down time in a 2 year period...It's on YOU to get off yer **** and man up and get legal help...Pussyfootin around is for the weak n meek...........

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In theory this is awesome, they would love to do this, but they can't. And you should be thankful. For one, you sign a contract that outlines the term. You can't turn a 40 month loan into an unknown number on the contract, and for two, they want to be paid back, quickly, your compounded interest would still be rolling, you'd end up paying far more than you expected, and it's even worse for high interest loans. Many people here, thank goodness aren't buying trucks with sub prime rates, but MILLIONS of people do. Imagine having a 19% interest rate on 40k and having to extend the loan just because it was in the shop. You can't defer interest because most states won't allow it, that's why you have to keep paying even if you crash your truck and its totaled, granted in those situations the insurance company will happily assist with offsetting that cost. Tldr: government won't allow it.

and why doesn't the govt allow it ??

cuz the banks & finance companies who make profit off of it are in their pockets......

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
and why doesn't the govt allow it ??

cuz the banks & finance companies who make profit off of it are in their pockets......

I didn't say I agreed with it, just pointed out why it can't be done, right now. It's silly, and I think it needs to change.

Someone else mentioned that the guy was merely saying " should not have to pay " for those periods in which the truck were in the shop, not extending, not paying interest.

In a perfect world, that would be amazing, I've had issues where I didn't see why I had to pay for something if I did not own it. However, there then becomes an issue with non manufacturer financing.

I purchased my truck from dodge, but financed it through GM, how can you ask GM to not let me pay if my truck has been in the shop, that's not there fault. They loaned you XXXXX amount of dollars, expecting, or asking a third party financing company to pay ( or me not to pay ), isn't very fair to the financing company, in there eyes, it's not there fault if the dodge that was purchased sucks. Why would they want to, or why should they HAVE to lose money because of it ?

malatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar
Easy fix.

Whenever your car is in the shop for more than a day, you get a free loaner. Heck my last dealer (GM) always had 3 or 4 beaters that you could use as a loaner if they were available.

Also, the last vehicle I purchased was a Cadillac used CPO. As part of the CPO, you got a free rental from the local Avis whenever your car was in the shop for more than a day!

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree.

Something should be set in place for "special circumstances" such as this.

Obviously, not everyone would rate it but case by case.

Exactly, I wouldn't say everything should result in a pro-rate but when your vehicle is in the shop for a certain amount of time for warranty work it then gets triggered.

This is why there are lawyers and courthouses....FCA has a bullseye on their back here in the USA...Our government wants rid of the greaseball ownership...NO EXCUSE for that much down time in a 2 year period...It's on YOU to get off yer **** and man up and get legal help...Pussyfootin around is for the weak n meek...........

Being stupid with your money isn't for the wise and those who know what battles to pick and which ones to let go,

I would spend more money fighting FCA than I would to get 2-3 months worth of payments back. My payment is $250 a month, Id spend that an hour on a lawyer.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In a perfect world, that would be amazing, I've had issues where I didn't see why I had to pay for something if I did not own it. However, there then becomes an issue with non manufacturer financing.

I purchased my truck from dodge, but financed it through GM, how can you ask GM to not let me pay if my truck has been in the shop, that's not there fault. They loaned you XXXXX amount of dollars, expecting, or asking a third party financing company to pay ( or me not to pay ), isn't very fair to the financing company, in there eyes, it's not there fault if the dodge that was purchased sucks. Why would they want to, or why should they HAVE to lose money because of it ?

This is why I said that it is something they would/could promote and be through their financing a, which would make them money if people went with their financing instead of GM for instance.
Have you ever heard of a lost leader? they put out an incentive program that they spend lets say 100k a year, but the increase in financing profit is 300k a year which nets their company a total of 200k once you calculate all the loss vs profit.
It promotes sales, give the customer something back which makes them happy and come back and not leave to go buy and other brand. An unhappy customer with a valid complaint or reason to be unhappy does not equate to profit or success and turns into a lost customer and goes to your competitor.
This is why so may offer and promote a "bigger better" warranty then their competitor, its to attract customers to get sales and financing and service profits.
It would also push them to build a better vehicle cause its more profit for them in the long run.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's the truck in the shop for now?

No offense, but if it is the powertrain why should they reimburse you?

You have a lot of mods - and take the truck to the track.

If you were factory and just drove it as a DD and didn't race it - sure they should probably re-imburse you.

Of course if it's something electrical or what not then this wouldn't apply.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's the truck in the shop for now?

No offense, but if it is the powertrain why should they reimburse you?

You have a lot of mods - and take the truck to the track.

If you were factory and just drove it as a DD and didn't race it - sure they should probably re-imburse you.

Of course if it's something electrical or what not then this wouldn't apply.

Trans, most work done to the truck was before I modified things.. but I'm not saying I should be reimbursed for my truck, just that I'm frustrated and had an idea... my own idea I wouldn't qualify for since I finance through my credit union... Just thinking outloud.

But my trans completely failing less than 6 months after it was rebuilt and I have been back to the dealer 4 times in that 6 months for trans/ their work related issues cant really be blamed on what little performance mods I have... It was just shotty work that I hope to have remedied this time, as this repair is on them without any factory warranty to help offset the cost

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah - that is tough then. I hope they are at least covering it under warranty from the last re-build.

To your initial point though - for the average joe - I think they should re-imburse you if you are still under the factory warranty and the time away the shop exceeds at least a month.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah - that is tough then. I hope they are at least covering it under warranty from the last re-build.

To your initial point though - for the average joe - I think they should re-imburse you if you are still under the factory warranty and the time away the shop exceeds at least a month.

Yup, that's kinda what I'm thinking.

But yeah, they offer a 2 year unlimited miles repair warranty on all their work. so my head and cam work is also covered by that along with the the trans.

All in all the dealership has been good to me, but still gets frustrating when they take forever to do a trans rebuild. they also stripped out 3 bolts on my trans pan on the first build, hence why it went back all those times

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I get where the OP is coming from but unfortunately it is not a perfect world and in legal terms, warranty resolution and what you owe to whomever is holding the note is two different legal worlds.

Like someone else mentioned, pursuing independent civil action is about the only way to get any compensation. Sometime you here stories of people getting fed up and dropping the vehicle and key at the dealership and walking away from a truck but the reality is the dealership already got paid and ones abandonment of a vehicle is now a buyer/lender problem. While the OP does not mention doing such a thing, it is a reminder that the bank note owed and warranty problems are not in the same legal world and to never confuse the two or expect one side or the other to compensate for the other.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I disagree on financial compensation. It's warranty work. I can't think of any legal reasons why they would responsible for financial compensation.

Now, I think they should at least provide a rental. That would be reasonable compensation.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get where the OP is coming from but unfortunately it is not a perfect world and in legal terms, warranty resolution and what you owe to whomever is holding the note is two different legal worlds.

Like someone else mentioned, pursuing independent civil action is about the only way to get any compensation. Sometime you here stories of people getting fed up and dropping the vehicle and key at the dealership and walking away from a truck but the reality is the dealership already got paid and ones abandonment of a vehicle is now a buyer/lender problem. While the OP does not mention doing such a thing, it is a reminder that the bank note owed and warranty problems are not in the same legal world and to never confuse the two or expect one side or the other to compensate for the other.

I was only thinking with Manufacturer financing, it would be the only way that idea would even be possible, but yes they are two different worlds.

As for giving the vehicle back... been there done that got that tshirt and still fighting that battle with ford 16 years later... I didn't just turn it in though but I was still young and dumb and basically got tricked into a voluntary repo, which I was told and had a letter from for supposedly releasing me from the vehicle since it was financed through FMC ford motor credit.... well long story short, paper was lost/destroyed by unfortunate circumstances, they came after me and still coming after me for a broken vehicle that they did not honor their warranty on when a valve spring failed and took out the motor....
Only way I would give a truck back to the dealer would be in a ball of flame threw their showroom door.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You drive a 2011 and you say you have had it for two years.

So, you purchased a used vehicle and you want a special break because your used truck has issues?

Am I missing something here?

A lot....

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get what you're saying but that just isn't realistic. You have better chances angling for a courtesy loaner while your truck is in the shop. Most dealers will accommodate this if you just push for it while not being an *******.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do we compensate those who paid cash and have no payments? Why would someone with bad credit who has an $800 note get more compensation than someone with good credit and a $250 note?

We can't look at it from the money side. We can though make it fair for all owners by providing a rental.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk