Finally got me a RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
After driving the Ram a few days, i can make a few observations.

- the shifting is better on the Ram but not perfect either. No loud downshift clunks, some engine lugging but not nearly as bad as my Silverado. It's much more willing to downshift than the Silverado was with much lighter throttle application. In all, much more responsive and enjoyable to drive.

- the interior of my Silverado was nicer than my ram, but this ram is a base model (tradesman) but even in higher trims the Silverado interior is nicer, but that's subjective.

- the Ram is just as quiet going down the road as the Silverado, the cab is very quiet inside.

- the throttle on the Ram is much more responsive. This is how the Silverados should come from the factory. I always disliked the lazy throttle on my Silverado. The ram 6.4/410hp/3.73 versus the 5.3/355 hp/3.42 seems A LOT more powerful. I suppose it should, but the Ram is bigger and heavier which would mitigate some of that. But it does not feel that way. I always hated the extreme torque management that GM puts in their trucks. You have to give them a lot of throttle to get them moving and then its not a smooth application, almost reminds me of how a timer based electric brake control works in comparison.

I still think both trucks are nice, good trucks though. Like anything else, pros and cons to each.

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
GMs torque management has alot to do with why I dont have a GM truck anymore. My 06 Z71 was terrible to drive power wise. sold it for a Ram at 94k .
But my 06 still had nicer interior, the cloth that Dodge uses is cheap in looks and feel compared to the cloth that was in my 06.
But my Ram rules in every other categorie for sure.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I'd recommend some Weather Tech front and rear floor mats. And if you can beg, scrape or steel to get the cash for the bedliner done now I would do it and not wait. Nice looking truck and it seem like you already are enjoying it.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I'd recommend some Weather Tech front and rear floor mats. And if you can beg, scrape or steel to get the cash for the bedliner done now I would do it and not wait. Nice looking truck and it seem like you already are enjoying it.

Thanks sk, you bet, i love this RAM! No funds right now after Christmas and getting this truck, but i don't plan on using the bed much over the winter. I fugure, since line X has to scuff the paint in the bed prior to application of the line X, a few scuffs or scrapes won't hurt it, provided i don't let it rust

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
GMs torque management has alot to do with why I dont have a GM truck anymore. My 06 Z71 was terrible to drive power wise. sold it for a Ram at 94k .
But my 06 still had nicer interior, the cloth that Dodge uses is cheap in looks and feel compared to the cloth that was in my 06.
But my Ram rules in every other categorie for sure.

Exactly 69. I agree. With the terrible transmission shifting (worse than ram, trust me), lazy, laggy throttle response, carpeted inner wheel wells, wax coated frame, etc, I'm liking the pros of the Ram more than the pros of Chevy at this time.

The way this ram runs, if it holds up well and gives me good service, just may make me a Ram man. L lol.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I wouldn't agree with you on the interior. I looked at silverado before I got this laramie. I didn't like the interior better than the laramie. It's a big difference compared to a tradesman, not a laramie.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I wouldn't agree with you on the interior. I looked at silverado before I got this laramie. I didn't like the interior better than the laramie. It's a big difference compared to a tradesman, not a laramie.

I was comparing it to my 06, but your right I should have compared it new to new because GMs interiors are not what they used to be, well in my opinion anyway.