First Dodge since 1971

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slohand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all! Yep my first Dodge since 71. I had a 69 Charger back then, wish I still had it. I have been a Chevy man since up until Jan. 21 and I traded an 07 Silverado piece of plastic junk off for a 2011 Ram. I am loving this Ram, it seems to be a real solid truck.

Last week the check engine light came on, so I took it to the dealer ship and they checked it. I went in today so they could fix it. They think it is in the trany so now I have to go back the 25th so they can pull the pan off and check things out. I have a warranty that covers this so Im not to worried, or maybe I should be, I dont know. While I was their they said I needed 6 or 8 updates. They did two while I was there. Is there a way to do these updates myself? The 2 they did were (1) software flash for PCM 18-19-06-GM (2) software flash for TIPMCGW 18-89--01-97 Any input would be appreciated.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i don't believe you can do these updates yourself. welcome to the forum and enjoy your new ram.

OP
OP
S

slohand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i don't believe you can do these updates yourself. welcome to the forum and enjoy your new ram.

That's what I was wondering. I asked them why they didn't do the updates before I bought the truck. I've only had it 3 weeks. He didn't have an answer. They are hitting me with $30. for each update. I've never heard of such a thing, especially when these trucks cost so much. I'm a little disheartened to say the least. The truck only has 48k on it.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any way to make a buck.

Likely the same update 7 times with a v1.2 then 1.3... they could skip right to v 1.7 but then they're losing $210.

Just bought the girlfriend a car. She went dealer route. Regretting it now she is. Dealers have so many excuses. Private at least the guy usually tellss you something upfront

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
charging for those updates is BS if the truck was bough at an FCA dealership if speak with the used car sales manager express concern that this should have already been done before purchase , that fail go to gen manage , and on up the ladder

OP
OP
S

slohand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
charging for those updates is BS if the truck was bough at an FCA dealership if speak with the used car sales manager express concern that this should have already been done before purchase , that fail go to gen manage , and on up the ladder

It is a well known Chrysler dealership in this area. I talked to the salesman about it and he was like; maybe they just came up. I just kinda went Hmmm. I'm trying to hold back my disgust. I have dealt with the sales manager before and know him. He's a good guy, he went to school with my boy's. I didnt want to complain to him, but I'll let him know what is going on.

Are these updates the same as the Uconnect updates? I put my VIN# in, and it said no updates were needed.

wiggy999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would think under warranty, you should never pay for ANY update! I've done the Uconnect updates myself, but all others would be dealership only (using their Starscan tool). Hope the transmission isn't serious.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
if you are having an issue and the update will fix it, should be be done under warranty.

OP
OP
S

slohand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would think under warranty, you should never pay for ANY update! I've done the Uconnect updates myself, but all others would be dealership only (using their Starscan tool). Hope the transmission isn't serious.

The warranty is a 90 day 3,000 mile on the drive train only I guess. I thought it was 100% everything but it's 100% drive train. I'm still driving the truck. I guess he has to take the pan off the Tranny to see if their is any metal shavings in it. It drives and shifts fine. no slipping, jerking or nothing. They said go ahead and drive it. I'm going to ask for a longer warranty after they fix it. I'm thinking about calling the bank and telling them they aren't going to get a payment till we see what is going on and things are fixed.

OP
OP
S

slohand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I talked to Ram Cares and they told me it was standard to pay for the updates. She also told me to talk with the service manager, maybe he would give me a break since I just bought the truck. So that is what I will do! Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated. I'll let you know what they find with the Tranny.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Agree with the others, total BS to ask you to pay for updates on a truck you just bought. I'd fight that tooth and nail if it was me.

It's your money and you just made a big investment. They need to step up and make it right for you

OP
OP
S

slohand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Agree with the others, total BS to ask you to pay for updates on a truck you just bought. I'd fight that tooth and nail if it was me.

It's your money and you just made a big investment. They need to step up and make it right for you

I do agree with you. I was trying to be understanding about the whole thing. The more I thought about it the madder I got today. I just spent a lot of money and this is BS.
I went through the Owners manual and could find nothing about computer updates or anything he talked about. Right now I just want to know what the check engine light is about. You would think with all their computer updates and stuff, they could pinpoint the problem.

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I talked to Ram Cares and they told me it was standard to pay for the updates. She also told me to talk with the service manager, maybe he would give me a break since I just bought the truck. So that is what I will do! Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated. I'll let you know what they find with the Tranny.

sorry no that is not true at all,

The truck should have been gone trough updates done, recalls too , mechanical issues solved and error codes fixed that is standard dealership business 101.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
sorry no that is not true at all,

The truck should have been gone trough updates done, recalls too , mechanical issues solved and error codes fixed that is standard dealership business 101.

Exactly, why buy a newer vehicle from a dealership if they are going to sell you something and then tell you it needs all sorts of updates or repairs and not stand behind their product. You didn't buy the truck from some no name used cars who operates out of a camper on a gravel lot somewhere.

And Ram Cares? Sure sounds like they don't CARE at alL! Typical cooperate BS response from someone who is reading out of a manual and probably has no clue what you need help with. What a joke. They are supposedly there to advocate for you with the dealer to resolve issues just like this. They should have stepped in and gotten this addressed for you already. Stick to your guns. Elevate this to the dealer GM or owner.

The truck should have been gone though and updated before it was placed on their lot for sale. Period, end of story. That's not on you. How could you be expected to know that?

I'm upset about it for you and i don't know you! Lol. And they wonder why we call them "stealers"

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

slohand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The last couple days I have been learning about my truck on this site and the owners manual. Found out I should have been burning 89 octane instead of 87. So since I just filled up with 87, I went and got some Reslone fuel cleaner and octane booster. I put it in this morning. The check engine light went out after driving 10 or 15 miles. Not sure what that has to do with a transmission code, unless it was causing it to work harder. I still have an appointment the 25th to have it checked out. I'll update then.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all! Yep my first Dodge since 71. I had a 69 Charger back then, wish I still had it. I have been a Chevy man since up until Jan. 21 and I traded an 07 Silverado piece of plastic junk off for a 2011 Ram. I am loving this Ram, it seems to be a real solid truck.

I went to my 13' crew Sport from my 07' Sierra Denali and I've been very happy with it for a couple years so far..... and knock on wood I haven't had a single issue (and have a great dealer as well). The denali was a pretty truck but I had a lot of issues, so the move to Chrysler wasn't a hard one at all. I like all 3 (Dodge, Chevy, Ford) but I think the Ram is a step above, especially since my last GM truck tried to drain my wallet.

Man I hope you get the issues worked out. I've had great luck with MOPAR dealers but if you're not getting good service move on, theres a lot of good ones out there.

OP
OP
S

slohand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went to my 13' crew Sport from my 07' Sierra Denali and I've been very happy with it for a couple years so far..... and knock on wood I haven't had a single issue (and have a great dealer as well). The denali was a pretty truck but I had a lot of issues, so the move to Chrysler wasn't a hard one at all. I like all 3 (Dodge, Chevy, Ford) but I think the Ram is a step above, especially since my last GM truck tried to drain my wallet.

Man I hope you get the issues worked out. I've had great luck with MOPAR dealers but if you're not getting good service move on, theres a lot of good ones out there.

I had a 94 silverado stepside I bought new. I kept that truck for 20 yrs and loved it. I finally sold it to a young man that had wanted it really bad. It was hard to get rid of, but at least the kid is taking good care of it. I bought an 07 silverado and liked it at first. One day Im driving around with my 4 yr. old grandson and it just quit and left us stranded. Called a tow truck. it was the fuel pump, it just quit. $700. later and that was fixed. check engine light came on $250 to fix that. Cleaning the dash one day and found 4 cracks in that. Air bag recall they never did fix that. As far as Im concerned Chevy forgot how to build trucks. My wife and I both love this truck. I think it will be alright. At least I hope so.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio