First post and it's a question......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just found this site and have searched the forums but haven't found an answer. I just traded my 1996 2500 5.9L in last week for a 2017 3500. Wow, things have changed a lot since 1996! I bought that truck new and put over 350K on it. The 3500 is quite a different beast though and I pulled my tractor(about 4500lbs) to a job this morning for the first time with it. My question is, when I pulled out on the highway this morning and started accelerating, a LOT of white smoke was coming from the exhaust. It took about 5 minutes of driving for it to go away. My 1996 never did that so I wasn't sure what to do. The truck was running fine and there didn't appear to be any problems but the white smoke. Has anyone ever had this happen with a new 6.7L before?
Thanks in advance!

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Wonder what the exhaust temps where when you were pulling. Could have put some water in the exhaust.

OP
OP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The truck was in my garage overnight(about 55 degrees). It was 40 outside when I hooked up the trailer and when I went down to the highway, it was 32 down there. I thought it might be the temperature causing it because as the truck reached normal operating temps, it went away. Just had never seen white smoke out of my old one and want to be sure it's not a problem with the new one.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Likely just condensation in the exhaust, see this a lot when they're still cold for the first few minutes. Nothing to worry about.

Reactions: 502

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
As your probably fully aware, there's a lot more electronics and emissions bs on your new truck. I'd agree with the others, likely condensation combined with ambient air temps. Your new truck runs a lot cleaner than your 96, so that may have something to do with it.

Now if it does it in the middle of summer, i may be concerned. But i doubt it will

Marciel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I bet it is something to do with the def system, my girlfriend's korean durimax will do that occasionally and there is nothing wrong with it other than its a gmc.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 07 power stroke would do the same from time to time

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hauled 2500lbs in the bed today with much warmer temps and the truck was warmed up before it got loaded. No smoke of any kind. What a difference the 6.7L engine is over the 5.9L. Along with the Aisin, exhaust brake and
air bags, I couldn't really tell it had that much weight in the bed. Although, it's pretty depressing having a "current mpg" gauge in sight when climbing hills or getting on the freeway with something that heavy in the back....

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The SCR system injects DEF into the exhaust stream converting NOx gases to Nitrogen and H2O. When your exhaust is a certain temperature it hits the cold air outside, and along with relative humidity and atmospheric pressure, the water saturates the air causing visible water droplets (similar to cloud formation). Once you're at operating temperature the temp is too high and causes the water to dissipate more rapidly. :happy107:

Each morning when it's cold mine does if for a little bit of the drive usually when I'm about halfway to operating temp or so.