Frame swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottieo

Reaction score
Ram Year
97/98
Engine
Hello all I'm new the the forum and struggling to remedy a problem that has presented itself on my current project. A friend of mine rolled his 97 Ram 5.9 4X4 auto. He had purchased a, so the vin says, 97 5.9 2X4 four door auto Ram that was pretty ruff. I suggested that we swap sheet metal and use the ruff one's body and put it on the 4X4 frame. I tackled this by myself, had the bodies swapped in short time. Along the way I ran into a few difficulties, one being the wiring, I'd planned on using the harness from the rolled Ram only to find out that the donor had a build date of 12-97, a 98 donor now, and had to run with the 98 wiring harness All to easy, swapped harnesses, a few sensors, back on track. However there is one item that is has me stumped, I can't get the pump to push fuel, I believe I know the reason but not sure how to remedy. I ran a resistance test to locate an open circuit in the EVAP purge solinoid, traced it down to the neutral safety switch, made the repairs to this, however the circuit remains open, grounding the middle wire, b/w to ground to bypass the switch doesn't work either. As the 98 was not a 4X4 there is an unconnected sensor at the transfer case on/near the transfer tail. The sensor is a three wire range selector, I believe colored o-w/o-b. I'm guessing that since this is s 4X4 drive train that the NSS and this 4X4 range selector is in a loop causing the open circuit, which causes the purge solinoid to deny voltage to the fuel pump.

Am I right in believing that the NSS supplies ground the the 4WD selector switch completing this circuit somehow internally? I'm not clear how else the PCM could could detect the transfer as there is not a pigtail in the harness for the range selector.

Because of the changes to the 98 in power distribution in the engine compartment, and Dodge removing one of the three electrical junctions on the driver's side, low on the inner fender, and incorporating this connection in the power distribution, (I'm assuming) I'm unable to use the 4WD harness I have. What I'm considering is adding
the wiring needed for the 4WD range selector, and installing the PCM from the rolled ram. I'm afraid if I do this I'll have to further add something to the cluster or a switch/light in the bezel to complete this open circuit.

Can anyone think of an easier way to bring the fuel pump to the party? Advice? Ideas? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I suggest you place this post in the 2nd generation forum. Maybe a Mod can move it for you.