Front CV axles rattling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a 2010 ram trx4 I'm in the process of fixing up. I've put new tires, bilstein 5100s, and a hub bearing on it. When I first got the shocks and struts put on it noticed rattling coming from the rear end. Shock bolts were loose. Tightened them up and the rear rattle went away. Today I'm riding with the windows down and I hear rattling from the front, great. After yanking on everything under the front end I come to find out bother cv axles wiggle around where they go to the front diff. What I'm concernsf me is it only the CV axles or should I be concerned about damage inside the front diff?

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
are the axles fully seated onto the stub shafts? are the locking rings in place holding them close to the front diff? When I took mine apart to replace a front seal, I noticed that without the ring, they do wobble alot more. also, there may be a bit of play on the stub axle coming out of the front diff due to bearing wear. I saw just a tiny bit of looseness with mine but it did not appear concerning.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What level are you on? At 2.8 you are at the upper limit of what the cv's can handle, angle wise. When the click or bust, they are bad, yours sounds like something different.

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I'm at 2.8, but they don't appear to be at any kind of extreme angle whatsoever, I've seen way worse angles last a long time in a high school parking lot lol. It could very well be bearing wear on the stub seeing as the truck has been to hell and back under my dad's ownership.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Likely not a problem in the diff. There are small stub shafts that stick out of the differential where the axles slide on to. I have seen a few times where the cv shaft and stub shaft will both wear out and cause a lot of slop there. They both probably need to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is possible that the loose cv is the cause behind my front end rattle? Because I haven't found anything like that anywhere else concerning cv's. I don't think it's my bilsteins or else they'd make noice over any and all bumps