Fuel tank capacity, 32 gallon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XRC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm new to the forum, did a search and did not readily see answer. I'm not able to get more than 25 gallons of fuel in tank and build sheet claims I have a 32 gallon tank. I'm sure this has been discussed before! Thanks for the help

RAM DAT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm new to the forum, did a search and did not readily see answer. I'm not able to get more than 25 gallons of fuel in tank and build sheet claims I have a 32 gallon tank. I'm sure this has been discussed before! Thanks for the help

So just trying to help. How many miles are you getting to a tank? I have the 25 gallon tank and get from 300-370 depending on how I'm driving so if your getting way more than that then you have a 32 gallon tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Only one true way to find out, run the tank dry)))))

^^^This

The light comes on with at least 5 gallons left. I've managed to get as much as 27 gallons in. I've never taken the time to run it completely out to see how much it would take.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So just trying to help. How many miles are you getting to a tank? I have the 25 gallon tank and get from 300-370 depending on how I'm driving so if your getting way more than that then you have a 32 gallon tank

That's going to be way off for people with larger tires / lifted trucks. I get about 12 MPG, have a 32gallon tank, and get less per tank than you do :(

On a side note, when your light comes on, you actually have about 6 - 7 gallons left. I road my light on for at least 80 miles once, averaging about 10-14 MPG, i feel like the gauge is off for the larger tanks. It's strange. I've never been able to get more than 28 in mine though, and that's running it as dry as I could accept. After 80 miles on the fuel light, i felt like i was playing with fire!

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Don't run the tank dry. Ever. The fuel lubricates and cools the fuel pump. Pretty standard to only get 26-27 gallons into a 32 gallon tank when fueling. The light and gauge are set up so the tank has enough fuel to lubricate and cool the fuel pump.

Just believe what's on your build sheet.

Last edited:

jkhcurry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is pretty new and I had to haul a trailer up to Houston and back today. I wasn't very impressed with the fuel mileage towing. I was hauling a 16 foot V nose trailer empty and on one tank I went 278 miles 9.85 MPG but I put in 28.199 gallons. I drove quite a ways with the fuel light on but towards the end I was puckering a little.

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 32 gallon tank. When the fuel light comes on, it takes around 26 gallons to fill it back up.
This is on par with what others have reported as well.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Some state that is so the fuel pump stays cooled by being immersed in fuel.
Others claim the fuel pump is cooled by fuel going through the pump and the reason we do not get more than 25-27 gallons is because the gauge is setup for 25 gallon tanks and there is no gauge calibrated for the 32 gallon tanks.

Either way, I have ran the truck beyond the stated miles to empty, then ran it some more. The most I can recall putting in the tank was 29 gallons. Since a 25 gallon tank would have stranded me , by then, am pretty sure I got the 32 gallon tank listed on my build sheet.
I would like a more accurate gauge and distance to empty but am not too stressed out about it, as it stands. Just look at it like a QUirk.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've put 26.6 gallons in my 26 gallon tank. As far as damaging anything because it runs out of gas is crazy. Maybe I wouldn't do it all the time. But people make to big of a deal about running it low on gas.around here gas prices can be 20 to 25 cents a gallon 15 miles apart.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
no idea if the pump being immersed in the fuel cools the pump or the gas going through the pump cools it. i suspect both keep it cool.

as for believing the window sticker or not, crawl under the truck and look. as someone posted, the gas gauge is calibrated the same on both size tanks according to dealer techs.

Last edited:

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the gas gauge is calibrate the same on both size tanks according to dealer techs.

I totally believe this. I had the 26 gallon tank on my 2014 Sport and now my 2016 Rebel as the 32 gallon tank. I drive the EXACT same commute and the gauges act identical. So much so that I had to climb underneath the Rebel and check the sticker on the gas tank to make sure I have the 32 gallon tank.

Last edited:

TheRudeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't run the tank dry. Ever. The fuel lubricates and cools the fuel pump. Pretty standard to only get 26-27 gallons into a 32 gallon tank when fueling. The light and gauge are set up so the tank has enough fuel to lubricate and cool the fuel pump.

Just believe what's on your build sheet.

Actually don't believe your build sheet! My buddy ended up with a different differential than the one he ordered.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Actually don't believe your build sheet! My buddy ended up with a different differential than the one he ordered.

I know a guy who knew a guy that heard of this guy that....

Not saying assembly mistakes don't happen, but they are exceedingly rare, to the point of being non-existent. If your truck doesn't match your build sheet, it's due to a PO, a recall, or a repair changing parts.

20hemi10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have the 32 gallon tank on my 2015 Limited. The fuel light comes on around 47 miles to empty. I've waited till it says low fuel and filled up with 30 gallons exactly.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
no idea if the pump being immersed in the fuel cools the pump or the gas going through the pump cools it. i suspect both keep it cool.

as for believing the window sticker or not, crawl under the truck and look. as someone posted, the gas gauge is calibrated the same on both size tanks according to dealer techs.

They give the same reading on the gas gauge, but with different size tanks, that would require a different calibration on the sensor to do so, so there is no way they can be calibrated the same way.

I also say this because on my 79 ramcharger, I had the 35 gal tank, but the sender was for the 22 gal tank, and it read correct and all, IE empty I could put about 20 gals in it. But when I drove too far one night going by the mileage when the fuel gage went out, I found out I could put 34 gals in a 22 gal tank.....the sender was calibrated for a 22 gal tank, and being in a 35 gal tank, it never read correctly for the tank.....only for the sender (or the tank the sender thought it was in).

And the fuel going thru the pump will cool the pump, but not the motor that drives the pump....that is cooled by the fuel it is immersed in.

sammon287

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7, 8sp
With the 32g tank, I ran my '16 Outdoorsman for an uncomfortable distance with the "fuel low" message after the countdown to zero. It took 29.8 gallons to fill.