Gas cap idiot light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My dad has a 2011 2500 CC 5.7l 2wd. It recently has been getting the gas cap warning light. He has replaced the cap and the sensor/solenoid the is under the large can. Don't remember what he called it. Has tried almost everything that he can find on YouTube. So I told him I would post it here. Any info or if any of you have also dealt with this, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has he cleared the code?
Try disconnecting the battery for like a hour or so. Also you may have to drive it " x amount " of mikes before it clears

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The “gas cap” light doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the gas cap. It means there is a large enough evap leak equivalent to a leaking gas cap, but it could be any of the evap components. In order to clear the gas cap light, the PCM has to be reset, just clearing the code won’t do it. Or the evap leak monitor has to run without a failure which could take a few weeks or more. The parameters for it to run are very specific and it takes a long time.

Disconnecting the battery for 30 mins and doing a capacitive discharge should clear the code and reset the light. To perform the capacitive discharge, disconnect both battery cables and touch them together for 30 seconds. This will discharge any voltage that’s left over allowing everything to reset. If the codes come back after awhile then there’s another problem. A proper smoke test is the best way to find the leak.

OP
OP
audiophile

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Has he cleared the code?
Try disconnecting the battery for like a hour or so. Also you may have to drive it " x amount " of mikes before it clears
Tried that.

OP
OP
audiophile

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The “gas cap” light doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the gas cap. It means there is a large enough evap leak equivalent to a leaking gas cap, but it could be any of the evap components. In order to clear the gas cap light, the PCM has to be reset, just clearing the code won’t do it. Or the evap leak monitor has to run without a failure which could take a few weeks or more. The parameters for it to run are very specific and it takes a long time.

Disconnecting the battery for 30 mins and doing a capacitive discharge should clear the code and reset the light. To perform the capacitive discharge, disconnect both battery cables and touch them together for 30 seconds. This will discharge any voltage that’s left over allowing everything to reset. If the codes come back after awhile then there’s another problem. A proper smoke test is the best way to find the leak.
I will pass this on. Thank you for the info.

atrupo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the tank filling steadily when pumping gas? Sometimes there are weird vent related issues that will cause the light to come on

Ram13BH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CUMMINS

This is the exact, correct advice. Doing it any other way will result in throwing parts at it until you finally get lucky and replace the correct one. The problem could be a cracked hose in the system somewhere or various other possibilities. The smoke test is the only real, dependable way to solve it as effectively as possible.

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Could even be false pcm code(think my pcm is bad) , mine set off evac along with at same time fuel injector and shift cel, but if no other code, prob a leak somewhere. In past my dodge vehicles were picky about OEM gas caps too, aftermarket ones never lasted long or set off cel.