gear selector question and help if possible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeg45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
sport floor gear selector question and help if possible

sorry for the long post

ok today my dads 2011 sport ram with the floor shifter had a hiccup at a red light down the street from home he said he put it into park so he could stretch his leg the light turned green reached to put it into drive and he said it got stuck and would not shift out of park he called me so headed out to go check it out but half way there he called and said he turned the truck completely off and tried again and it worked

now before i bought my express i had a 2007 charger i had the same problem but was in a parking lot thank god because it turned out the pink plastic piece that holds the gear selector that is connected to the ignition solenoid was broken and would not let the gear selector go until i took the cover off and pulled the wire on the solenoid my self is this whats happening to my dads truck and possibly could happen to any floor shifter that chrysler made my charger was not the only one with that problem

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i have read where that was a common issue with the chargers and there was a billet piece being made for them to fix it. It might be possible that it could be an issue with our trucks, but this is the first thread i have seen on here where anybody has had an issue with the shifter.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Maybe related to the LX Car problem. Actually you can repair it by adding a cotter pin where the broken piece is to hold the spring that came loose or new spring so basically the plastic hook holding the spring breaks and the pink thingy moves and locks you out. There is a DIY with pics on LXF.

OP
OP
joeg45

joeg45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well on that piece in my charger I just took a chiesel and tapped off the arms worked perfect after that because when it happend the billet piece to me wasn't really something I was looking for in a speedy fix and dodge wouldn't give me that one piece and told me I had to buy a whole new selector so I saw a post someone did the same thing with theres and it fixed it for free and right then and there

I just hope its not the same problem with these u would think the would come up with a better solution

shadango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had the same issue with my 03 Durango before I traded it in a couple weeks ago, and once or twice over the years before that.

There is a buypass for it, sticking a bent paperclip thru an access hole to release it....didnt know that til I looked on line recently.

I just shut the truck off and then back on and it magically unlocked.

I also had a problem with my Durango where the alarm (horn) woul go off every day when I went to unlock it with the keyfob but only after it sat all night. 3 beeps. Very annoying.

Tell ya, all this electronic crap is fun while it works, but when the vehicle gets older, look out....LOL

And heck, your situation, the truck was only a year or so old....geez.

ReturnToSender

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7,QC 1500 Big Horn
If you ever get stuck in that situation this is how to unlock the shifter

4-4-20129-50-38PM.png

4-4-20129-51-56PM.png

OP
OP
joeg45

joeg45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
^^^^^Ahhhh that was help full thanks to both above-mentioned ill show my dad incase it happens again never even thought to look in the manual lol ooops