GM guy about to make the jump... would you buy in at this price?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FerrisWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So all went threw, will take delivery of the copperhead sport CC next week after holidays. They gave me a rediculously high price for trade in.

Congrats man! I pick my Copperhead CC up this Wednesday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So all went threw, will take delivery of the copperhead sport CC next week after holidays. They gave me a rediculously high price for trade in.

Did I misread something you said earlier, or did you say your 6.2 was sluggish? The GM 6.2 is considerably superior to the hemi, in just about every way imaginable. I hate GM as much as the next person, but if I were going to get a GM... it'd be with the 6.2 gasser. You've got more usable power, and torque, it's basically a towing machine. If you plan on doing the same with your hemi, you'll be disappointed. Sorry.

OP
OP
Mr.AK902

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
Congrats man! I pick my Copperhead CC up this Wednesday!

Congrats to you to sir, it is a beautiful color. Nicest i've ever seen on a truck for sure.

Did I misread something you said earlier, or did you say your 6.2 was sluggish? The GM 6.2 is considerably superior to the hemi, in just about every way imaginable. I hate GM as much as the next person, but if I were going to get a GM... it'd be with the 6.2 gasser. You've got more usable power, and torque, it's basically a towing machine. If you plan on doing the same with your hemi, you'll be disappointed. Sorry.

I've owned 3 6.2's over the course of my life with GM. They are no slug for sure. My current 13 however has a 6" bds lift with 35's, it definatley lost some get up and go compared to when it was stock height. I'm over the whole lift scene, I'm very much looking forward to this new sport at stock height with some simple classy rims.

As far as towing, I've towed alot with the 6.2, 5.3, and the 6.6 duramax. Towwing an 8k TT is not fun with a lifted 6.2. The rpms scream, the performance lifted is not all that much better over a stock 5.3, and of course with that weight at highway speed the mileage is brutal. Alot of this was made better when GM made there new 8 speed. Mine was a 13 so i had the older 6spd.

I don't intend to tow anything to heavy very often with my new ram. If i run across something to large, my inlaws have fleets of dedicated tow rigs. My large equipment for the busiuness will also be towed with older dedicated tow rigs. This new hemi will suit me just fine. Im confident it will do everything i've used my 6.2 for and more, and do it better.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congrats to you to sir, it is a beautiful color. Nicest i've ever seen on a truck for sure.

I've owned 3 6.2's over the course of my life with GM. They are no slug for sure. My current 13 however has a 6" bds lift with 35's, it definatley lost some get up and go compared to when it was stock height. I'm over the whole lift scene, I'm very much looking forward to this new sport at stock height with some simple classy rims.

As far as towing, I've towed alot with the 6.2, 5.3, and the 6.6 duramax. Towwing an 8k TT is not fun with a lifted 6.2. The rpms scream, the performance lifted is not all that much better over a stock 5.3, and of course with that weight at highway speed the mileage is brutal. Alot of this was made better when GM made there new 8 speed. Mine was a 13 so i had the older 6spd.

I don't intend to tow anything to heavy very often with my new ram. If i run across something to large, my inlaws have fleets of dedicated tow rigs. My large equipment for the busiuness will also be towed with older dedicated tow rigs. This new hemi will suit me just fine. Im confident it will do everything i've used my 6.2 for and more, and do it better.

haha, imagine the Hemi with a 6" lift on 35's towing 8k :p It's equally as bad, I do it on my weekend warrior trips. Good luck, it's a sexy color, that's for sure.

Galadaeros

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Sport ~ Copperhead Edition
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Congrats on the new truck! You got a great deal for the price. Here, in Alberta, Copperheads are going at $48,987 (on average) without delivery or the add-ons that your dealership threw in. Enjoy!

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man, that orange/black combo is very striking. I'm not one for really flashy paint (I bought a white one for Pete's sake), but that color combo is killer in my opinion. Sharp truck, enjoy it! And if you don't throw some big heavy wheel and tire combo on it, the hemi/8 speed definitely won't feel sluggish!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
not bad price I paid $48,500 for my 2016 Laramie qc including taxes in Manitoba factory ordered my msrp was $64,880

DenverRamage

Reaction score
...deep in the bowels of a hidden bunker.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I absolutely LOVE the Copperhead color. If I hadn't wanted a Rebel so bad, the Copperhead Sport would have been the one I would have gotten. No question about it.

I can't say enough good things about the truck. I have absolutely zero regrets, and I'm very glad I went with the Ram over any of the other competitors.

HaydenHunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
HEMI
I have been running Chevy company half ton pickups since 2004, and I get a new one every 2 to 2.5 years. They have been good to me. I have only ever had one repair that was not routine maintenance, and that was warranty. We put 120K on each truck before turning it.

Another division of our company runs RAMs and those guys beat their trucks more than we do...hauling heavier gear and also trailers. The RAMs have held up for them pretty well.

I am retiring in just over 2 months and for the first time since 1985 I have to go out and buy myself a vehicle. I am going RAM. As others have said, you get a lot for your money. In late 2013 we bought my wife a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and other than recalls, it has been good. We love it. I like the uConnect 8.4 and am looking forward to having it on my RAM. I am very close to closing a deal on a 1500 Larame.

The DodgeFather

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's a beautiful truck . And for all that is included I think price is right .

Fyredude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats on the new wheels. Copperhead and the new Lime green are my 2 favorite colors. Enjoy!

OP
OP
Mr.AK902

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
Thank you folks for all the positive feed back. Dealer delivered to my door yesterday. It was nice signing papers and swapping registration papers on my patio as i drank a coffee.

Have taken the truck to work teice now, and I don't regret my decision one bit. After a long history with gm in both gas and diesels, this is by far the best truck I've ever had the privledge of owning.

The copperhead color is beautiful inside and out, turns heads everywhere with the blackout package on top, the interior is beyond luxurious, audio system is amazing and 8.4 uconnect ties it all together, love it.

This things seems perfectly paired with the 5.7, 8spd, and 3.92 gearing. Fricken blast to drive and gets almost double the fuel mileage my previous gm did. Cant say enough good things about this truck as of now, absolutely blown away and 110% satisfied.

Now that I own one, comparing a 17GM to a 17RAM, RAM takes the cake for sure. So much more value for you dollar, and the styling performance and ride is second to none IMO. One happy owner here

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats on the Copperhead, you did good.
Fyi, If you do not want to hear or be in the 4 cylinder mode, push the - or + shift buttons when at speed to put the transmission in 8th, and it will shift normal but the MDS will not activate. This is the first thing I do when I drive my Rebel, I purchased an 8 cylinder engine truck, and I want to hear all 8 cylinders, not 4. :happy107:

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Welcome aboard. I left the GM trucks a few years ago for Ram and have not even glanced back. These are very nice trucks. Ram is showing us that you don’t need a “redesign” every other year on a truck when you have a strong product. And the sales prove it. They are only going up as the truck is ageing.

Pat yourself on the back, you are part of the current statistic of Ram starting to outsell GM lol.

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love the truck. Go for it!! I couldn't afford it which is why my first Ram I picked up a couple of months ago was a used 2014.

OP
OP
Mr.AK902

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
I love the truck. Go for it!! I couldn't afford it which is why my first Ram I picked up a couple of months ago was a used 2014.

Very happy with the purchase. My financial situation stayed the same but with a much better interest rate, so it was horizontal move for me with a much nicer truck. Very pleased.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Congrats man, great move. I too went from a 2015 Silverado 1500/5.3/3.42 to my 2017 Ram 2500hd.

There were several things i grew to hate about that Chevy, a few are;

- horrible transmission tuning that only got marginally better with mileage, it also clunked loudly on downshifts,, of course the dealer claimed it was normal. Yes, my ram is not perfect either, but is worlds better

- horrible lazy, laggy, filled with torque management throttle response. It felt like it took 1/2 throttle before the truck would move. I absolutely HATED that.

- the square wheel wells look dumb.

- multiple recalls in the first 6 months of ownership to fix typical cheesy gm junk, drivers seat started getting lose, a known problem, seat belt issues, etc.

- the body panels are waif thin i felt like i could drop a crooked fart on them and dent them. Total junk. The aluminum hood would visibly shake at highway speeds. Junk.

- the 5.3 sounded like an erector set when started cold, especially on cold mornings, again told by the dealer, normal! OF course!

The 5.3 did have good power, but after only a few thousand miles, it was developing the typical gm junk interior rattles already. The drivers door lock actuator would squeak when temps were under 35 degrees, etc. I traded it in with 10,500 miles on it and have never looked back.

I love my RAM. I'm traditionally a ford and gm guy, primarily ford, but looked over all 3 of the big 3 real good and liked the Ram the best. Has great throttle response and the big 6.4 Hemi has A LOT of juice. While not perfrct, it's worlds better than that Silverado.

I had other reasons for upgrading to a 3/4 ton truck like needing more payload capacity, wanting iem trailer tow mirrors and such.

I've owned a bunch of trucks and my 17 Ram is my favorite of all off them so far. The steering and suspension components are Just massive compared to the 2500 Chevy and are bigger than the ford also.

I wish you the best with your new truck Sir. I'm sure you'll love it as much as i do mine.

-

Last edited:

HaydenHunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
HEMI
Last weekend I completed the purchase on my 2017 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew Cab, 6'4" bed, HEMI with 3.21 gears. It is sitting in the driveway as I type this, next to the 2015 Silverado Crew Cab company truck I will be turning in (I'm retiring) in about a month. It is soooooooo much more fun to drive this RAM than the Chevy. And the uConnect 8.4, which we also have in my wife's 2014 Grand Cherokee, is vastly superior to Chevy's infotainment system.

As I said in my earlier post, the Chevys I have been driving for the last 13 years have been reliable. But so are the RAMs in our company fleet. I am thrilled with my purchase.

808ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
What's the name of the paint code for the copperhead? Looks good on this truck especially with the black out package.