Going to try and increase my MPG'S!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bran101010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 R/T
Sorry, I'm gonna call it here, no way on earth will you ever average 16-17 mpg no matter what you do. Anyway I admire you trying.

I average 18-20 mpg driving in nj stop and go traffic and on the interstate 25mpg so it is possible, dropping weight is what is going to give you the biggest bang for your buck and driving in 4 cyl mode and letting it ride out

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My dads averageing 11.8 mpg in his bone stock '11 hemi and could care less cause he loves the truck haha

Holy crap! He must REALLY enjoy that Hemi.
I roll into mine quite frequently, and I still average somewhere around 17-18 on summer fuel.

Oh right, RCSB 2wd with nothing to weigh it down. :winner_first_h4h:

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
There are so many factors that go into mpg. You will never see 16-17 though, I agree 100% on that. Having 4x4, having any sort of lift, having any bigger than stock tires, having heavier aftermarket wheels, gear ratio - just a few things that will affect your mpg. Maybe 100% stock you'd see those numbers on a good day, but with your setup now there's nothing you could do to get that.

Mid 13s will be about the best you'll ever get in the city, maybe 16 on the highway if you're really babying it.

I don't exactly understand why people buy a second car for a DD just to leave the nice vehicle sitting at home. I love my truck and drive the heck out of it. Sure it sucks on mpg but like was mentioned before, I didn't buy it for mpgs. To each his own though.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a lost cause. Like others have said, it's no use. If you want MPG, buy a Pentastar 2wd, and keep it stock. It will not pay trying the squeak MPG out of a lifted Hemi. Bring it back down to stock level, stock tire height, buy LRR tires, tuner, CAI, and you might get near your goal.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are so many factors that go into mpg. You will never see 16-17 though, I agree 100% on that. Having 4x4, having any sort of lift, having any bigger than stock tires, having heavier aftermarket wheels, gear ratio - just a few things that will affect your mpg. Maybe 100% stock you'd see those numbers on a good day, but with your setup now there's nothing you could do to get that.

Mid 13s will be about the best you'll ever get in the city, maybe 16 on the highway if you're really babying it.

I don't exactly understand why people buy a second car for a DD just to leave the nice vehicle sitting at home. I love my truck and drive the heck out of it. Sure it sucks on mpg but like was mentioned before, I didn't buy it for mpgs. To each his own though.

Couldn't agree more! I bought my truck because I want to drive it!
$2000 beater = 500 gallons of fuel even at 12 MPG is 6,000 miles!
that's 1/2 a year (for an 'average' person).

If you sit down and start throwing down the #s into a spread sheet, you have to drive about 30,000 miles a year before a beater *(assuming no mechanical issues) will start to really pay for itself. It's great in concept, but fails on paper.

That being said, maybe next time when you replace your tires, get a less aggressive A/T in a narrower / lighter size. Sure. But it's still going to be a lifted truck, and thus, get crap mileage.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
It's a lost cause. Like others have said, it's no use. If you want MPG, buy a Pentastar 2wd, and keep it stock. It will not pay trying the squeak MPG out of a lifted Hemi. Bring it back down to stock level, stock tire height, buy LRR tires, tuner, CAI, and you might get near your goal.

True

I was a little apprehensive about getting my truck. I knew the gas would suck but as of right now. It's not that bad. I can go about a week an half on one tank as long as I don't tool around all over on the weekend.

My old car did the same, but I had to put 93 in it. Im still paying more in gas money but not a much as I thought I would...

Im getting almost 15mpg now all city!!! Cant complain at all considering the size, motor, weight of this thing..lol

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, I'm gonna call it here, no way on earth will you ever average 16-17 mpg no matter what you do. Anyway I admire you trying.

I average 18-20 mpg driving in nj stop and go traffic and on the interstate 25mpg so it is possible, dropping weight is what is going to give you the biggest bang for your buck and driving in 4 cyl mode and letting it ride out

I don't buy it.

OP
OP
GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
I'm sorry guys for a point less thread.. I thought guys were seeing almost 16 mpgs with tuners and etc. I love my truck and would not give it up! Just thought I could muster up more than 300 miles on a tank of gas lol

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Holy crap! He must REALLY enjoy that Hemi.
I roll into mine quite frequently, and I still average somewhere around 17-18 on summer fuel.

Oh right, RCSB 2wd with nothing to weigh it down. :winner_first_h4h:

He doesn't actually, him and I both watch the real time fuel mileage driving and try to keep it up
His problem is that he's just closing in on 15k miles on the truck and has had it for 2 years and 4 months now lol, he drives it all the time he just doesn't drive anywhere far now that my bother sister and I are all out of the house

Kindof funny since my girlfriens 05 has 172k miles on it and her dad's 09 cummins has 115k

bran101010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 R/T
Originally Posted by bran101010 View Post

I don't buy it.

-Im not asking you to buy it, I hand calculate my mpg and use a app on my phone and get the same answer for gas mileage , I also have a regular cab to your quad cab and I have specificly dropped what weight I can and only done mods to improve gas mileage. I also drive in 4 cyl mode at 20 mph all the way to whatever my speed is going to be. Try it you might be surprised how well it actually works for saving gas.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
:893karatesmiley-thu
I'm sorry guys for a point less thread.. I thought guys were seeing almost 16 mpgs with tuners and etc. I love my truck and would not give it up! Just thought I could muster up more than 300 miles on a tank of gas lol

not pointless. There are some good points, but i say do what makes you happy.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Originally Posted by bran101010 View Post

-Im not asking you to buy it, I hand calculate my mpg and use a app on my phone and get the same answer for gas mileage , I also have a regular cab to your quad cab and I have specificly dropped what weight I can and only done mods to improve gas mileage. I also drive in 4 cyl mode at 20 mph all the way to whatever my speed is going to be. Try it you might be surprised how well it actually works for saving gas.

You use fulelog? That's what I use on my phone. I forget to put in the first fill up, but I've been keeping track since then. I have changed my driving some. Kinda half to going from a sedan to a big truck, cant weave in and out of traffic that easy.lol

bran101010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 R/T
I use fuel tracker on my nokia 920, it tracks mileage amount of gallons and price per gallon,lol in new jersey I just drive in the right lane while everyone else drives crazy by me.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cruise is set up to stay at a specific speed,go about the speed and it backs off the fuel..Go below set speed and your trk will do what ever it needs to stay at set speed and that means anything from a lil to hittin the firewall lol...
Im sure tire designers have a roll resistence chart which will tell you best mpg tire but they may wear quicker cause of torque....maybe ceramic wheel bearings or coated bearings(microblue.com)....A more efficient exhaust manifold a clean (reuseable)filter,wouldnt hurt to study which flows most air...Maybe areodynamic ideas too...
Will your mods pay for themselves,hard to say cause it depends on your yearly miles..

mexi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram
Engine
mpg is a real kick in the nuts...lol

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On my trip to Texas, on the state road stretches (cruise set at 65) I got 20.2 and 20.6 MPG. Then on the I10 stretches with the cruise set at 86 (80 MPH speed limit) it dropped to 16. It was totally worth it too. I-10 is so.... long.

I was really sad I didn't get to try out my aero-mods before the trip.
Just can't seem to find a reliable plastic supplier.

jfelicia64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I average 18 on my way to work every day, hand calculated and it's a 45 mile freeway trip. I have muffler, y pipe, VR and efan w/ 180 tstat. 2013 QC. Although if I really bought this truck for MPG I would have reconsidered buying a ram. Always have been the worst for mpg, BUT... Best looking truck IMO

12TrueSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 True Blue Pearl Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7

Definitely not a pointless thread. No one said you can't improve your MPG. You just have to set realistic goals which is what everyone is saying. Keep the setup that makes you happy and tweak it until the truck is running as efficiently as possible.

Maximize your air to fuel burn
keep it clean and waxed - everywhere (minimize drag cuz every bit helps)
adjust your tire pressures
exhaust and intake because the better it breathes the better it runs and the better your MPG
keep your foot out of it and don't trust the evic..do the math so you have an accurate read

Have fun!!

Last edited: