Grr. My 2WD got stuck..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
Went to the Christmas tree farm.. Parked in grass, with apparently a little moist clay underneath. Jammed like sardines, so I had no where to go.

Really really really pissed me off to get pulled out by a John Deere just a hair bigger than a lawn mower.

Last time I buy a 2WD. Just got this in July and seriously considering looking in to trading in for a 4WD. How bad do you guys think ill get screwed?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
unless you had a hefty down payment i would suspect you would get royally screwed

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Hard to say. Did you have a trade in when you bought your current truck? Did you put any money down? How well do you know your salesman/dealership? Is there enough current incentives to offset any possible negative equity? I'm on my phone so I didn't see what model you have but are you willing to maybe have to step down a model to keep your payments the same? Once you get a trade in value that you are willing to take and settle on a different truck (what has worked for my wife and I on our past 4 vehicles in 5 years) start with the bank the dealership wants to use to get a interest rate then call around to see what other banks will offer. We usually can get one bank to come down at least one percent off of the starting percentage rate. Good/great credit makes it easier.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to say, but likely a lot. 2WD trucks aren't that desirable (generally).

I bought my 4WD for two reasons:

1.) Resale. Even though the 4WD was about a $2000 option, the resale difference between 2WD and 4WD is staggering, often times double or more than you (or someone) originally paid. While I don't plan to sell - I can't control who may rear end and total my truck. Accidents *do* happen.

2.) I bought my truck in Phoenix AZ - where I lived at the time. There's no *real* need for 4WD in Phoenix, as there isn't any weather to speak of. However, trucks last 10-15 years, and I wasn't sure we'd be in the valley of the sun for that long. Guess what? We weren't. Now, in KY, there is a need for 4WD. Glad I bought it.

I tend to live by the buy once, cry once motto. It works out more times than not.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I fell in love with a silver Sport when I was shoppin' around. Was only 2WD though so had to pass. There was no way I way buying another 2WD. Hope it works out for you. Probably get the most out of it if you can find a buyer rather than trade in.

whatroads

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 QC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 3.92
I drove a 2wd truck for 20 years. The only time I got stuck was when I high centered the truck in snow. In the 1960's 4wd was almost unknown except in the woods of Minnesota.

Seriously, Keep your truck if you like it. Get some decent rear truck tires and junk the passenger tires that come with our trucks. Then put some weight in the bed over the back tires.

My son drives a 2wd Ford Ranger. I have good tires on the truck and weight in the back end. We have rather steep streets to get to our house. 99% of the time he'll make it up the hill, in snow, when the street has not yet been plowed

Exhausted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep I did the same thing. I got what I owed on my 2012 2wd
And the funny thing is when I got my 2013 4x4 big horn I could have gotten a 2wd sport for the same price but it woe have the resale value as a 4x4

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know a guy who just bought a 2012 quad cab sport with about 6k miles on it. He paid $26k for it. The original sticker, in the glove box was for $39, 500.

metalfab

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM CrewCab ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I was after a 4WD and I have had one in the past. After thinking about it and seeing the deal on my 2012 1500 (which is 2WD) I passed. I appreciate the 4WD and what it offers however, this time around it was the 2011 4.7L with Quadcab and 4x4 vs 2012 5.7L with Crewcab and 4x2. The engine and more importantly the room of the Crewcab won us over.

Last edited:

Adept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
very very screwed. if you feel so strongly about it, throw some mud terrain tires on there, that outta help it out

BGExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like others mentioned, throw some good tires on. You didn't say if you have a lsd or open diff (I'm guessing open). If you aren't looking to trade the truck back, then you may want to see if you can put an ARB locker out back. This way you can keep it open on wet or snow covered corners so it's not squirrely, and lock it when needed. I'm not sure though how this affects the warranty, or not.

Gill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You would take a beating if you traded in right now. Perhaps you can try selling privately?

How often are you really in situations where you would need 4x4? I'm with the others, upgrade the tires it will be a lot less costly. You need to wait at least a couple years so the depreciation levels off, and not take a bath. But it's your life, your money, do what makes most sense to you and what makes you most happy.

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like mentioned, there are ways of making 2 wheel drive very capable of road vehicles. Tires and most importantly limited slip differential or a locker and weight over the read axle. I've made it through crap that I thought I would never get out of with that type of setup.

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
when shopping for my 2013 quadcab, i was actually looking for a 2wd. glad i have it. i really dont think i needed 4x4, all my other trucks and vehicles were 4x4 and i never used it. this time i bought a 2wd. :)

but i do have better tires on there than what it comes with. oh it also has a LSD rear.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As mentioned a few times:

1: You'll get screwed, it doesn't matter how much you 'put down' unless you're willing to just consider that money lost.
Expect ~30% off what you paid, if you feel like swallowing that, hell I got some ocean front property in Arizona with your name on it.

2: Buy a good set of all terrain tires, not the highway tires the truck comes with.
They are absolute junk in anything other than a paved road, even there, according to some they are questionable.
I'd advice you stay away from aggressive 'mud' tires, truth is, solid tread blocks do great in mud and loose sand, and not really anything else.

3: See #1.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had a 2wd mazda back in the day and all I did was put snow tires on and watched out how deep I got into snow. Never once got stuck. Save yourself the hassle and get a good set of A/T's and I'm from ND we get more ice and snow than most places you will be fine with tires.

james1114

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This thread actually motivated me to join this forum. I read it a few days ago, and it's been making me think a lot about my recent Laramie Longhorn 4x2 purchase. For a bit, I found myself saying "great, should've bought the 4x4." However, I have to agree with the majority of recent posts on here. I've driven Rams for the past 12 years. All were/are 4x2. The resale on my last two was well over blue book. These trucks are some of the nicest on the market, and they hold their value. I'm not debating that a 4x4 is worth more, but it sounds like from many of you (with more knowledge than I) that with the right tires, these trucks do fine in "most" conditions.

I love my Laramie 4x2. Would I consider 4x4 for my next truck? Maybe...but the 4x2s seem to suit a lot of folks just fine. I guess it's all in what you need out of it.

OP
OP
DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
Thanks guys.. feel slightly better.

I think you are all right.. if i was more prepared and setup properly, it wouldn't have been an issue. I had zero weight in the bed, and the tires have 13K miles on them. Stock tires..

I already planned on lifting it (for the look, with BL and spacers) and putting 35's on it. That'll help a bit.. And to answer above, yes.. I do have LSD which is what confused me. And it wasn't even that much mud at all. Just a little bit. Problem was that i was wedged in between two vehicles and couldn't really go anywhere to remedy. Maybe i need to get some pieces of wood in the bed to have with me in those situations.

After lifting and upgrading tires, i should be fine. I would rarely use it - just want the insurance. I'll look in to lockers. I already planned on putting in an air compressor anyway, so that could work out.

Let me add that i LOVE THIS truck. Obsessed.. Just hated to not been prepared and hated to have been with the family and having had to rely on someone else to get us out of there.