Hard to shift out of park.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

awo1aggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 Megacab Bighorn 4x4
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
trucks got less than 2000 miles on it and it seems pretty consistently that if I go to start the truck and shift out fo park the shofter sticks and I have to crank on it fairly hard to get it out of park. It doesn't matter if I am parked on a hill or flat surface, wheels are turned or if they are straight. It doesn't do it all the time but it does it more than I should have to deal with. I know about the button under the steering column to unlock it but I shouldn't have to use it that much!
Took it to the dealer and they couldn't figure it out, nothing is binding and nothing is rubbing. They loosened the cable a little but that is pretty much just them guessing it will fix it.
Has anyone else experienced similar to this and what happened to fix it? Thanks!

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
sounds like the locking pin that locks it into park is not working properly. I think its called the shift interlock or something like that

OP
OP
A

awo1aggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
I just picked it up... Mr. Service Manager says that the whole shifter/linkage assembly is enclosed and one single piece so they can't really get too in depth while inspecting the problem. I'm curious to see if them loosening the cable will solve the problem or create a new one. I can't think that loosening something that I would believe should have a good degree of tension would be good.

ladale21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins HO
I'm agreeing with the interlock, a lot of chargers were doing it, my boss has an srt8 charger and when he went to go on lunch it broke and could not shift it out of park

jacsyl94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hope it works, but i'm with you...why have something loose when it should be tight...(cable)

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
it sounds like his shifter is on the column so i don't think it is the same issue the chargers were having.

OP
OP
A

awo1aggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
yea... forgot the shifters are on the center console of these new trucks. Mine is on the column. I couldn't force myself to get one with the shifter any place else!

S

scotts2012ram

I'm have a problem with my shift not going into park its like a gate isn't opening. I'm at a full stop and everything I have to pull it down then put back in park

OP
OP
A

awo1aggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
So an update. It was the BTSI (brake transmission shift interlock) solenoid that was busted. Well that is what they replaced anyways. I have a friend with the same truck that this has happened to as well. Hope it doesn't turn into a common thing!

Wrenchead55

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Tradesman 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a similar symptom. I just bought a 2013 2500 4x4. At times it would be hard to pull the shifter out of park. Yesterday, got in to start and the key would not engage the starter. Ok, no start condition. I noticed that I had no alarms with the door open and the key in the switch. With the key on, I had no dash indicators including the shift position lighting. I was also able to pull the shifter out of park without depressing the brake pedal. Weird.
Anyway, I went through the reset process called for in the manual: turn key to "on" position, unhook negative battery lead for 10-15 mins. Then turn key off and reconnect the battery cable. Start engine and test drive. It worked and I drove it home.
The symptom now is I can get in the truck without the key and pull the shifter out of Park, without my foot on the brake pedal.

Really confused right now.............

Wonder if our issues are related??