Has anyone else had this recall done?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got a recall on my 11 like two months ago for the ring and pinion not getting enough fluid. Dropped it off and dodge put in a new ring and pinion gear new fluid and a new rear end cover. Ever since than i have been smelling burning fluid when i get on it slightly. The smells goes away rather quickly but every time its there. I just dropped the truck off for an appointment to look at it tommorow, but i thought id ask here and see if anyone else had a similar issue with the recall or if anyone knows a possible reason for the smell? I said they over filled it, someone else said they didn't shim the spider gears. What you guys think?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
yes mine was done and no problems. I have the old cover with the plug. there was some backflow thing changed

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i have not gotten this recall

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes mine was done and no problems. I have the old cover with the plug. there was some backflow thing changed

Yeah yeah i forget the name of it. Did they replace your ring and pinion set or just re install it? Mine got a new one (from what they say). I hope its nothing major. My truck is my only vehicle right now. One day is hard enough to try to get to work with no transportation let alone longer.

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also i know they put a new cover on as well. Its the first thing i checked. Why they bothered Im not to sure. Its the same thing. Does anyone know what might cause a burning smell when i accelerate? (harder than normal but not all out) like if you pull out from a busy intersection or something. It May not even be related to the recall but i only smelled it after they worked on it.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
i dont think they did anything with the gears far as I know.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Maybe the did not put enough fluid back in?

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
go to dodges site and put your VIn in and see if it needs to be done. Dodge might not have complete records for your truck. I know there was recalls for my stratus but never got them and I bought it new.

If the recall was done youd have this rear diff cover.

5809730036_a2c6130e78_b.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So i just got the truck back. They told me what i smelled was the paint on the rear cover burning off when it gets hot. I kind of laughed at them. I can tell the difference between burning paint and burning fluid but whatever. U told then before i walked out that if something were to happen that it be under warranty anyways so why am i worrying

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why would paint be burning off your diff cover?

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's exactly what i asked. They said it was perfectly normal with a new part to do this ha. He said give it a couple weeks when the paints burns off you won't smell it anymore. Well Im sorry but can someone tell me why its painted in the first place than? Idk Im totally fed up with the dealers around here.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He was BSing you like a woman. The paint on a diff cover doesn't burn off. Even if your rear was massively overheating, it wouldn't burn. Basically, he pissed on your back and told you it was raining.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I agree with george......if that rear diff. Its getting hot enough to burn paint...then you have a big problem.

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He was BSing you like a woman. The paint on a diff cover doesn't burn off. Even if your rear was massively overheating, it wouldn't burn. Basically, he pissed on your back and told you it was raining.

Yeah i know man i took my keys and laughed at him walking out the door. I told him Im going to continue to smell the fluid until something gives than Im gonna need to have it in the shop again. I am seriously starting to hate dealers. Im about to say F the warranty and do everything myself. I dont understand why i put up with the idiots. But what am i gonna do i got a warranty for a reason i guess.

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Am i right in thinking it was either overfilled or they didn't shim the gears when they put them in? Something else might be wrong?

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
no paint burn off. thats dumb and the rear end wouldnt get that hot to burn anything off. Maybe they got fluid on the exhaust?

THis is mine after a few thousand miles on it. Looks the same as my other pic that was the next day after they did the TSB.

6110904750_9284a8258c_b.jpg

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nope checked for leaks before i even called them. Nothing. So Idk.Im just going to let it go til it locks Up than make them replace the whole ring while they put me in a challenger rental for free for a week. Haha yeah right.

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Paint burning off...wow, that is the lamest excuse I have ever heard.