Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > General Discussions

General Discussions

Heard of a bad oil code? Stealership story.

This is a discussion on Heard of a bad oil code? Stealership story. within the General Discussions forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!

Like Tree180Likes

Sponsored By: All Mopar Parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2016, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Default Heard of a bad oil code? Stealership story.
If you have a brand new Chrysler product that’s still under warranty, and want to get charged diagnostic fees for warranty work, Dewildt Chrysler in hamilton Ontario is the dealership for you!

I’m fairly certain they make up codes too. I scanned my car with an OBD-II scanner and so did my mechanic, we came up with a code showing a faulty oil pressure sensor. When I bring it in to Dewildt for warranty work, the service clerk tells me that he’s noticed that I don’t get my oil changes done at their dealer, this is the cause of my problem and I will therefore be subject to a $100 diagnostic fee. When I argued that I am not required to do maintenance work with a dealership in order to maintain a warranty, he explains that a “Bad oil” light came up. Which I believe is total BS. Only after I informed him that I had scanned the car myself and only saw a ‘faulty pressure sensor’ code, he then acknowledged that that code was there too, in addition to a bad oil code which definitely was not there when scanned the vehicle moments before they did.

Obviously I’m not believing a word this guy is telling me so I asked him not to clear the codes so I can verify that he’s telling the truth and to my surprise he agreed. Even as I'm picking up the car he reminds me that he didn’t clear the codes so they’re stored for my perusal. Sure enough, they cleared the codes, no stored codes. Bunch of liars.

So I got rinsed for $100 for diagnostics and $200 for a synthetic oil change. I was really bent out of shape over the diagnostic fee on a fully warrantied car and tried to get the manager to wave it, we came to the conclusion that if the faulty pressure sensor light came back on, they would credit me the diagnostic fee.

2 days later, check engine light comes back on! scanner shows it’s the oil pressure sensor! Shocker.

So, obviously we can’t trust Dewildt, I decided to take it to Peel Chrysler. They scan it, no questions asked about where my oil changes get done, the have a new oil pressure sensor installed by the end of day. Nothing out of pocket, as it should be for a warranty job on a brand new car. Kudos to Peel.

With paperwork from Peel I had proof in hand that I was right all along, I call the manager at Dewildt, his name is Ed, the guy who assured me he would give me my $100 diagnostic fee back if the check engine light would come back. This guy actually started yelling at me! demanding to know why I had gone to another dealer to have the warranty work done. He said he would have given the money back if I could have at least given them warranty work. Unfortunately for these guys, they would have had the warranty work when I first brought it to them, instead they wanted to fleece me for a diagnostic fee and the world’s most expensive oil change. When I told Mr. Ed that I believed they made up the code for the “bad oil” because my mechanic and I didn’t see it when we scanned it. He told me that only a chrysler can pick up that code. I suppose his scanner is more “specialer" than mine, I guess this guy doesn’t realize that OBD-II was designed to standardize diagnostics across all manufacturers so a dealers could not hold you hostage for repairs. Crooked Dewildt!

I’m so rattled by this i’m seriously thinking about taking them to small claims court.
jotin likes this.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
czardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2013
Engine: 6.7
$200 oil change? Good lord

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
drittal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Engine: 5.7
Comment on their Facebook page. Customer relations jumps in real quick.

If not, get in touch with Chrysler and let them know what's happening.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk
savage_46 and emb170mech like this.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: Hemi 6.4
I am more alarmed at the mystical "bad oil" code. I have seen the incorrect viscosity code- but "bad oil". That's a stretch.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

#iketimesmatter
smurfs_of_war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
time to make waves
go to using social media write the owner of dealership with all findings
ask them to show you you in writing you have to have them change your oil.
That's sad that a dealership would do that.
Flip-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Engine: Hemi 5.7
contact the ramcares person on here. Once corporate comes down on the dealership theyll be a lot more likely to comply
cableguy_hd, baum and Mpgrimm2 like this.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: 5.7
Originally Posted by 7777xm View Post
Comment on their Facebook page. Customer relations jumps in real quick.

If not, get in touch with Chrysler and let them know what's happening.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk
In the past year or two, Chrysler has been putting customer relations & satisfaction as one of their top priorities. Almost to the point of strong arming the dealers to comply.

If the DTC was P0520, there should be a TSB for it. I don't remember the TSB # or applicable years. It's one of those one's that says if the customer describes the symptom / condition, just do the repair. Doesn't even mention diag for anything. When I get a chance, I'll edit with the TSB info.

EDIT: TSB 18-034-14
SUBJECT:
P0520- Engine Oil Pressure Sensor Circuit
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the oil pressure sensor with a revised part.
MODELS:
2013 - 2014 PF Dart
2013 - 2014 LD Charger
2013 - 2014 LX 300
2013 - 2014 LC Challenger
2013 - 2014 JS 200/Avenger
2013 - 2014 RT Town & Country/Grand Caravan
2013 - 2014 WK Grand Cherokee
2014 KL Cherokee
2013 - 2014 WD Durango
2013 - 2014 DS Ram 1500
2013 - 2014 DJ Ram 2500
2013 - 2014 D2 Ram 3500 Pickup
2013 - 2014 DD Ram 3500 Cab Chassis
**2014 DP Ram 4500/5500 Cab Chassis**
2013 - 2014 JC Journey
2013 - 2014 JK Wrangler
2014 VF ProMaster
2013 - 2014 ZD Viper
NOTE: **This bulletin applies to all vehicle models listed above equipped with a 2.0L
engine (sales code ECK), 2.4L engine (sales code ED6), 3.2L engine (sales
code EHB), 3.6L engine (sales code ERB), 3.0L engine (sales code EHD), 5.7L
engine (sales code EZH or EZC), 6.4L engine (sales code ESG, ESH, ESA or
ESB), or a 8.4L engine (sales code EWG) built on or before March 12, 2014
(MDH 0312XX).**
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A small number of customers may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)
illumination. Upon further investigation the Technician may find that the following
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) has been set:
• P0520 - Engine Oil Pressure Sensor Circuit
DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in
TechCONNECT, verify all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTC's other then
the ones listed above are present, record them on the repair order and repair as necessary
before proceeding further with this bulletin.
If a customer’s VIN is listed in VIP or your RRT VIN list, perform the repair. For all other
customers that describe the symptom/condition or if the technician finds the listed DTC,
perform the Repair Procedure.

Last edited by savage_46; 08-28-2016 at 09:11 PM.
savage_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Fuck that dealership and the people you dealt with. I had a check engine light come on for my 2015 and I called the local dealership ( where I did NOT buy my truck from ), told me to swing down and they'd hook it up to to OBDII. Ended up just being the gas cap/evap code The guy said give it week and it will likely go away since I probably put the gas cap on loosely. He shook my hand and said have a great weekend.

Oh and fuck them again for a $200 synth oil change. Please tell me u have a deisel.
noupf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Name: George

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: Cummins
I don't know what worse- that they pulled that bs, or that you paid them for it.

WebSlinger- The Truck
——————————————
07 QCSB, Flame Red 5.7 4x4 SLT

Performance:
Internal: Custom Cam, 180 T-Stat - Intake: Ported Throttle Body, K&N Drop In Filter - Exhaust: Edelbrock Shorties, Magnaflow Y, Dumped Gibson, Raceland Cutout - Tuning & Support: SC, Aeroforce Interceptor w/ afr
Suspension:
Lift: 6" Susp, 3" BL, Shackle Lift, Add-a-Leaf - Wheels: 20x10 BMF S.O.T.A.s with Color Matched Lip, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers
Audio Visual:
Audio: Kenwood DDX512 Head Unit, Kicker ZX 400.1 Amp, 10" Kicker CVT Sub, Fox Box, Infinity Reference Speakers, Shorty Antenna - Video: 10.4" LCD Flip-down Overhead Monitor, R Cam
Appearance:
Styling: RFF Tactical Grill, RFF Skid Plate, SRT Hood, Bushwacker Flares,Tow Mirrors, Nerf Bars, 2500 Tow Hooks - - Lighting:JJ's Custom Projector Headlights, Led Tails, Smoked Cab Lights, 4x VisionX 180w - Bed: Leer 100XQ Shell, Line-x XTRA, Defender Roof Rack

RubberFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015 R/T
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
thankfully I have a great dealership and my synthetic changes run @ 130.00ish.

Where the $$$$ went, 14 MagnaFlow, 5% tint back 20% side windows, tonneau, sprayed box liner, Belltech 2/4, Spohn pan hard, Hellwig sways x2, catch can, Jba long tubes , Magnaflow y pipe, Vararam cai, Diablosport T1000, Hemifever tuned
THETANK is offline   Reply With Quote