Heard of a bad oil code? Stealership story.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@ the OP,
Devils advocate briefly here, don't flame me (all of this sounds shady to me on the dealer's part anyway) ...

So the Oil Code reported on your W/O says that the fault was related to an Incorrect Oil Viscosity fault or something like that. Ok. (do you know what oil weight was used by your guy?)

They indicate that they couldn't determine what oil was in it and wanted to replace the oil vs considering an easily warrantable item like the oil pressure sensor (which may likely require and oil change in conjuction, which would then be covered by warranty). It sounds like the assumption was against the customer as the cause from the get go.

The brake issue. I can understand some slight brake noise may need caliper grease where the pad contacts the caliper (that's not unusual to say) but if the caliper actually locked up, that would be a warranty item, including the associated discs, pads, etc.
What kind of "brake service" did they want to perform that you refused and they claimed was justification for not covering this all under warranty? Did they say the pads were shot and needed replaced but that you refused that work and it caused the failure? Did you look at the pads yourself?

And why are you being charged diagnostic fee's for a vehicle under a warranty at all?

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Dunno who to believe....but I wouldn't be surprised about a service manager doing that. Get a rookie mechanic and a service manager that doesn't know a ratchet from a dipstick and it's completely plausible.

When my gf takes her car in I let her go alone....then I walk in and talk to the service guy when she comes back. Usually to let him know I'm probably every bit as good as any of his techs, and let me and the tech discuss it with youThey try to rip good looking women off all the time.

I try not to be a ***** unless it's a warranted response.

Are they as impressed as I am LOL

jordanclpace

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 ram 1500 gas
Engine
Could you tell me if 5w50 will severely mess up my 2002 ram 1500 4.7 ? Please n thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jordanclpace

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 ram 1500 gas
Engine
Have not done the oil change yet and am just curious because I already have some on hand .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are they as impressed as I am LOL

I'm not rude, I just ask leading questions to get an Answer as to why they think whatever they do. Sometimes we agree sometimes not. But it's always warranty so do whatever to it.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
czardog....Mark

I am not going to get into a ******* match about the post you put on this site, but I am a representative from the dealership and I have in my hand your bill that you paid. I also have the diag of your vehicle along with over 8 warranty claims that we have done for you. I suggest you advise the people on this forum what you REALLY paid and how the diag REALLY went down. Also, if you like, I can take a picture of your bill (without your personal information on it of course, only your last 4 of your vin) and a picture of the diag for the forum to see...We don't have an issue with public forum as long as the information is correct...

First thing, in above post is "I am not going to get into a ******* match . . . . ."

and yet, you do.

REALLY - REALLY
Even used Two Cap REALLY's?

... I mean, Really!

No Milk but Got Info:
I believe the OP, based solely on YOUR post

R E A L L Y !!!

R E A L L Y ! ! ! ! !

PS

Bragging about doing 8 warranty claims?

REALLY? REALLY?

Must be me but I think doing EIGHT Warranty claims would be a source of Shame.

REALLY!

Last edited:

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
:popcorn:

OP
OP
C

czardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@ the OP,
Devils advocate briefly here, don't flame me (all of this sounds shady to me on the dealer's part anyway) ...

So the Oil Code reported on your W/O says that the fault was related to an Incorrect Oil Viscosity fault or something like that. Ok. (do you know what oil weight was used by your guy?)

They indicate that they couldn't determine what oil was in it and wanted to replace the oil vs considering an easily warrantable item like the oil pressure sensor (which may likely require and oil change in conjuction, which would then be covered by warranty). It sounds like the assumption was against the customer as the cause from the get go.

The brake issue. I can understand some slight brake noise may need caliper grease where the pad contacts the caliper (that's not unusual to say) but if the caliper actually locked up, that would be a warranty item, including the associated discs, pads, etc.
What kind of "brake service" did they want to perform that you refused and they claimed was justification for not covering this all under warranty? Did they say the pads were shot and needed replaced but that you refused that work and it caused the failure? Did you look at the pads yourself?

And why are you being charged diagnostic fee's for a vehicle under a warranty at all?

My guy uses 5w20, same oil they replaced it with.

I also told the dealer that if they're claiming my oil is "bad" they should take some it if and send it in for lab testing. Obviously this is an extreme suggestion, but if they're alleging my oil is bad the burden of proof rests with them. If the lab test came back showing it was indeed bad, I would eat the costs of the testing, but at least i can go back to my guy and have it out with him. Naturally they said they offer no such service, to prevent this from happening in the future I should just get my oil changes done with them. Trouble is their synthetic oil change is $170 with tax.

When callipers seized they only offered to do a brake service which i believe is $180 ($90 per axle). I personally don't believe brakes callipers should be seizing at 20k and if they do it shouldn't be an out of pocket expense to a customer. I drove the thing a few blocks elsewhere to free the calipers and that's where we discovered the pads and rotors were pooched from over-heating, rotors were discoloured etc etc.

The pads and rotors didn't fail because I refused the work and kept driving on them. They were already failed at the point. The third party I took it to to verify the brakes was just kilometre or two away from Dewildt Chrysler.

Why am I charged a diagnostic fee for fully warrantied vehicle? Great question! At least I know I'm not crazy.

OP
OP
C

czardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just noticed that dewildt torqued your wheel nuts to 120 ft-lbs. The service manual clearly states 130 ft-lbs. I have also heard alot of nasty **** about that dealer also

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Didn't notice that. Good find.

OP
OP
C

czardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP's post just reads weird. Almost like he knew what the outcome would be but still went ahead and let them do whatever they were going to do.

I think there is partial story being told here or a made up one.

'Reads weird' and 'he knew what the outcome was going to be'? Like i'm some weird cuck that likes to get screwed by shady dealers?

They took my car and wouldn't release it until they got a diagnostic fee or an oil change out of me. I got the oil change, expensive as it may be, at least there was an agreed upon path to get the diagnostic fee returned if the P0520 code came back.

In the end i got stuck paying for both when i shouldn't have paid for either.

Nothing weird about it, these guys are just crooks.

When you have a 2 year old vehicle with an extended warranty, how do you react when your charged diagnostic fees for warranty work on a fully warrantied vehicle?

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hmmmmmm....thread still active....

:popcorn:

OP
OP
C

czardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Instead of flaming them publicly, why don't you call corporate?

I called corporate once before over an issue with replacing rear pads and rotors at 20k. I wasn't exactly thrilled with their performance. Something told me that corporate is in cahoots with its dealers more than we like to think.

I will eventually call corporate, but i'm not expecting miracles based on my last experience.

I didn't want to flame anybody, just wanted to warn you guys that this isn't the best place to get warranty work done based on MY experience. Make of it what you will.

And obviously this has gotten the Dealershp's attention as somebody from their dealership decided to get a membership to this forum just a few days ago and force a retraction from me.

I would think a more appropriate reaction would be to reach out to me and fix the problem instead of publicly try to shame me. They're just digging a bigger hole for themselves. I've attached all the paper work. Nothing to hide.

My only crime is I rounded up a charge of $261 to $300

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oil analysis is 20 bucks thru napa....just get he sample bottle, send it off, and a few weeks later you have the results.

I did that every oil change when I had my 3500 cummins truck

And there is a bad oil code...P1521 per your reciept........not saying it was set, but it does exist

Last edited:

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This has been quite the read haha. I've had good and bad experiences with dealers of many makes. In my line of work as a service manager and sales rep, it's easier to work with the customer and not against the customer....

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Does this mean we have to wait 3 more days for the dealer to respond? The suspense is killing me! [emoji33]

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This has been quite the read haha. I've had good and bad experiences with dealers of many makes. In my line of work as a service manager and sales rep, it's easier to work with the customer and not against the customer....

unfortunately not alot managers/ sales rep think like you....life would be better if they did....

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
When you have a 2 year old vehicle with an extended warranty, how do you react when your charged diagnostic fees for warranty work on a fully warrantied vehicle?

I still stand by what I wrote given the info up to that point.

By your own admission in your first post, you were told upfront right or wrong there was going to be a $100 diagnostic fee.

When I bring it in to Dewildt for warranty work, the service clerk tells me that he’s noticed that I don’t get my oil changes done at their dealer, this is the cause of my problem and I will therefore be subject to a $100 diagnostic fee

You knew it was a ******** fee but you still let them take the vehicle and do what they did. Regardless of any shenanigans by the dealer, you are culpable to some degree for allowing and not stopping this **** show at the service clerk desk and either settling the diagnostic fee issue or just going to another dealer which you eventually did after the fact.

Hindsight is 20/20 I guess but it would not take a Rocket Surgeon's degree to figure out the first dealership would pop a gasket and give push back on refunding the diagnostic fee when you took it to another dealership. To them, you added a third party to the equation.

In a nutshell, I tend to believe your assertions the dealership was probably shady. The reality is you had warning signs and allowed this **** show to happen. Yeah, I am probably coming off like a "blame the victim" but in this case, you had failed to read the clues beforehand.

OP
OP
C

czardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I still stand by what I wrote given the info up to that point.

By your own admission in your first post, you were told upfront right or wrong there was going to be a $100 diagnostic fee.

Absolutely not.

I dropped off the car and said the check engine light is on, this is a warrantied vehicle please diagnose and fix problem.

I leave.

Then when i'm at the office they call me tell me i'm getting charged a diagnostic fee. AFTER THE FACT.

If I knew there was going to be a diagnostic fee, I wouldn't give them my keys!!